Parking

Trying to budget as well as possible this year. 

We are driving down and just wondered if anyone knows of any cheap or dare I say free places to park? Doesn’t have to be super close just close enough to get a tube or whatever. And we’d have to be able to leave our car from Saturday to Monday. ty. 

Can I suggest you add which direction you are coming from Sky, no point people reccing somewhere if it's the other side of London to you.

You probably aren't going to find any official car park or anything near a station where you can leave your car for that amount of time.  Most roads around stations have parking restrictions to prevent that happening.

I would suggest, and I haven't done this myself so my suggestion may be bad, that you pick a national rail station somewhere outside London on your route and look at parking there, it's not going to be cheap, no parking will be unfortunately but I think you might have difficulty finding cheap/free and safe.  At least that way your car will be in a monitored car park, then you just get the train in.

An example and you might have to talk to them about how you would book and pay for parking for a few days but St Albans car parks come in at just under £8 a day it looks like https://www.thameslinkrailway.com/travel-information/plan-your-journey/car-parking/car-park-charges.  So if you like that idea you'd have to choose what station you want to park at and what the rail fares (and times and to see if the trains are running) and then you can look at the prices but it's an option.

There's always airport parking as well, they will all have a good train service.

5 minutes ago, touchthesky said:

We will park at the hotel if we have too but I’m trying to be cheap haha. 

We Contemplated a bus but I can’t do it unfortunately. 

I've replied above Sky but I really think cheap and safe aren't going to exist.  Any roads near stations usually have parking restrictions so you won't be able to leave your car on a side road.  You can do as I suggest and park at a station but you will need to work out the costs of parking and train tickets.  It may well work out that there's not much difference and it'll be more convenient to park at the hotel - other considerations are if you park somewhere else you have to lug all your stuff with you.

That’s great advice thank you! I’ll look at my options when I’ve done tidying and see what’s the best. 

It is an absolute pain. If flights weren’t so expensive we’d fly. If the bus didn’t take 13 hours on a good day t would be more attractive. Haha. 

3 hours ago, spengler said:

Isnt that car park shut now? (The ncp one)

I called the west 12 shopping center because it's not longer on the NCP website, they said their contract with them ran out. The car park is now run by a different company, you can't prebook spaces anymore but we always found there were loads of spaces anyway :D

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, extremeladders said:

I called the west 12 shopping center because it's not longer on the NCP website, they said their contract with them ran out. The car park is now run by a different company, you can't prebook spaces anymore but we always found there were loads of spaces anyway :D

Lucky you get there early enough then ^_^