General Chat

3 minutes ago, Chris1970 said:

Scotland have own money?..:o

Yeah, Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own notes. Bank of Scotland, Bank of Ireland, etc. Some English stores will look at you like you've got 2 heads if you present them with one.

1 minute ago, wjbleming said:

Yeah, Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own notes. Bank of Scotland, Bank of Ireland, etc. Some English stores will look at you like you've got 2 heads if you present them with one.

Cool though. I know Isle of Man got stamps and coins..Jersey Islands too, right?

32 minutes ago, Chris1970 said:

Cool though. I know Isle of Man got stamps and coins..Jersey Islands too, right?

Not sure about Jersey Islands now. Just know of the different notes between England, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

1 hour ago, tenaciouspirit said:

From my experiences, scottish money is never 'happily' accepted anywhere in England XD There's always that moment of awkwardness

My point being is English bank notes are happily accepted in Scotland but why are people in England so weird about Scottish bank notes 

32 minutes ago, GreenArrow2046 said:

My point being is English bank notes are happily accepted in Scotland but why are people in England so weird about Scottish bank notes 

I think the simple reason is that most people have never seen one so don't want to risk taking a dodgy note.  I don't mean that the notes are dodgy, more that most people wouldn't know if they were current issues or anything like that.  I am aware that Scotland have their own note but have no idea what they look like so couldn't tell if it was even similar to legitimate.  You might as well take some monopoly money and write Bank of Scotland on it.

Some companies take it out of the staff members wages if the till doesn't add up so I understand the reluctance to take them unfortunately.

30 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

I think the simple reason is that most people have never seen one so don't want to risk taking a dodgy note.  I don't mean that the notes are dodgy, more that most people wouldn't know if they were current issues or anything like that.  I am aware that Scotland have their own note but have no idea what they look like so couldn't tell if it was even similar to legitimate.  You might as well take some monopoly money and write Bank of Scotland on it.

Some companies take it out of the staff members wages if the till doesn't add up so I understand the reluctance to take them unfortunately.

It's also the case of Scottish and NI notes not being legal tender in England and vice versa. It can be up to the individual company most of the time whether they are happy enough to accept it or not, I believe. :smile:

Edited by wjbleming

1 hour ago, GreenArrow2046 said:

Money is money, and it Should be accepted 

Well, if Showmasters (and any store in the UK) accepted Euros it’d be so much easier for me personally to pay without exchanging money or paying extra fees on my credit card, but I can’t really expect that to happen since the legal currency in the UK is Pound Sterling, can I? Money is money but not all money is accepted in all countries, that’s why money exchange is a thing :P

Edited by Nerd Who
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, natedammit said:

I for one accept all money, preferably via PayPal to wrongnamesmells@bearmail.gov.uk. 

I have a suspicion that this email address is fake?  Are you a scammer?

1 hour ago, Wrong Name said:

Hey hey hey! :angry: I'll have you know I took my annual shower just two months ago, thank you very much!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Stink  You were alive then weren't you?  Was it you that caused it?