Error messages when trying to access the forum

Queen_Sindel

We have issues again with users getting messages that they are banned when trying to access the forum.

We are aware of this issue and are trying to investigate. Unfortunately exactly one person has provided us with details since this began to happen. So it is a bit difficult to establish a pattern. I can confirm it is IP related most likely, but that is it. 

If this should happen to you: disconnect from the internet. If that doesn't help try again. A new IP will get you back on. 

If you choose to contact the Twitter or the Facebook account about this that is of course okay too, but if you do that please give at least your user name on here so I can check. A Twitter user "Anfield Road" who happens to be registered as "Bobby Charlton" on the forum won't get immediate help because I can't identify them. Any additional details like the time it happened, the device you were using and your internet provider/phone service would help us insanely in solving this issue.

The only way to get banned without notice is if I find troll accounts in the registration queue. Those accounts won't make it through and I am not going to take the time to reply to these people. Otherwise if you are banned you will receive a notification explaining, either by e-mail or by pop up when you try to log in. I realize there are people going around claiming we do that regularly, but with the exception of the above mentioned troll accounts no one gets banned without a warning. 

I don't know if this helps, but I've had this error message come up twice- both times I was using my mobile data. It's never happened from my laptop or when I've been connected to wifi from my phone. Not sure if that's relevant to everyone else's case but that's the only pattern I've noticed.

On 3/7/2018 at 1:45 PM, Queen_Sindel said:

This is beginning to turn into "one step forward, two steps back." >< I was about to blame this on O2. :P

But thanks, that is valuable info helpful to get to the bottom of this.

Tesco Mobile uses the O2 network.

No, it's not you.

I am meanwhile pretty sure it is O2, especially seeing we had issues with people on mobile data from O2 before (forum would not load, page stayed blank). 

I've requested that we open another call with Invision. I've tried all data settings I can access and it did not help, so they need to get working now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Queen!

Remember me and my exciting "restricted from posting" thing?  It happened again yesterday, but only when I was accessing from my office computer.  I logged out and logged back in -- same problem.  But my mobile (and laptop) still allow posting -- so not REALLY a problem. 

To sum up: my office computer thought I was restricted from posting, while at the exact same time, my mobile thought I was an acceptable member of the community.

I mention this for diagnostic purposes, as my office computer is not using any mobile network.

5 hours ago, Pir8Jenny said:

Long story short:  never mind; cancel that; all is well at work computer.  

That is because it's got a different IP now according to the log. I am None the wiser why the first one threw up an issue though. :/

4 minutes ago, Queen_Sindel said:

That is because it's got a different IP now according to the log. I am None the wiser why the first one threw up an issue though. :/

I'm ashamed to admit I know why.  The browser I was using populated the login with the name/password from the defective account for some unknown reason, and I didn't notice it until today.  So I had accidentally logged in with the account we never fixed.  

• DavidB unpinned this topic