Are there any disruptions this year? (Bike race.etc)

Just thought I would ask the question because we nearly missed our coach home last time because we got held up leaving on the Sunday because of a bike race that was taking place causing many of the roads to be shut off. Does anyone know if there's any sort of event like that taking place this year which overlaps with LFCC? I really don't want to get caught out again, it was stressful.

It depends where you're going. For example we stayed at the Hilton just round the corner and we booked a taxi from there to take us to Victoria Coach Station and all the roads were blocked up and it took ages to get there and he couldn't get near so he had to direct us where to go to go on foot to the station. I wouldn't like the stress of that again. I think you can still catch trains relatively easy, but I just remember what a ball ache the whole bike race thing caused and am eager to avoid it this time. But it passes by close to Olympia.

2 hours ago, whitewillow said:

Perhaps if you use the tube so you won't be affected by closed roads? Is the tube convenient for getting to the coach station?

I have always used Kensington (Olympia) or walked from Shepards Bush, nice stroll in July. ā˜ŗļøā˜€ļø

7 hours ago, Chris1970 said:

I have always used Kensington (Olympia) or walked from Shepards Bush, nice stroll in July. ā˜ŗļøā˜€ļø

To he honest, I have anxiety and panic quite easily so the idea of using the tube (which I have no idea how to navigate) terrifies me. I'll get the hotel to book a car early straight from there to the coach station, but then if we leave on Sunday now (I've altered the booking) then it should be better since if I've understood correctly, the bike race is only affecting the Saturday?!

21 minutes ago, SilvaNemesis said:

To he honest, I have anxiety and panic quite easily so the idea of using the tube (which I have no idea how to navigate) terrifies me. I'll get the hotel to book a car early straight from there to the coach station, but then if we leave on Sunday now (I've altered the booking) then it should be better since if I've understood correctly, the bike race is only affecting the Saturday?!

It was a little hard finding it but two of the events are Sunday.Ā Ā Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 (and Ride 46)Ā https://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/about/faqs/Ā Ā https://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/events/100/route/

And the route if you read the blurb rather than look at the PDF says they are coming from Piccadilly to Hammersmith which is very near to Olympia.

Ā 

Think I will do like I did last year, get off at Shepherds Bush and walk..got a nice brekkie place on the way to Olympia that opens early.Ā Just a 25 minutes walk anyway. Hopefully it wont be rainingĀ :PĀ And definitely bike free..:D

Edited by Chris1970

5 hours ago, SilvaNemesis said:

I understand having anxiety, I experience it myself, and I often avoided public transports for theĀ same reasons, but eventually realized it was counterproductiveĀ because they do make your life so much easier especially in London. I suggest you give the tube a try if youĀ feel like thereā€™s any chance you could handle the experience.Ā If itā€™s of any help, I can assure youĀ itā€™s very easy to navigate even for foreigners like me, there are maps everywhere and plenty ofĀ staff to ask directions to atĀ the platforms - especially on busy days. Your journey will definitely be quicker and more stress-free. Unless you have some specific triggers, in which case ignore my post, sorry for bothering you, and good luck anyway ^_^

Edited by Nerd Who
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...