New Attendees advice thread

Raylenth

2 hours ago, red8886 said:

Hi there 

ive just had confirmation from SM (Facebook messenger) that this is not the case. With extra assistance you need to still wait for your batch.  Just wanted to post this because it's an absolute game changer for me.  I'm actually not sure how I'm going to manage the convention at all now so wanted to give others a heads up so they can plan accordingly 

Wait, what? @Queen_Sindel I know you're in hospital at the moment and I'm sorry to bother you but I don't know who else to tag, can you get confirmation of this? Considering there are no seats at the photo shoot areas that could be a lot of standing around and defeats the point of the assistance wristbands.

8 minutes ago, EllaBlair said:

Wait, what? @Queen_Sindel I know you're in hospital at the moment and I'm sorry to bother you but I don't know who else to tag, can you get confirmation of this? Considering there are no seats at the photo shoot areas that could be a lot of standing around and defeats the point of the assistance wristbands.

With QS in hospital, I'm tagging @StuartG2198 as it would be easier for him to find this out, Ella. :smile:

I have been attending Showmasters events for years and have been a carer at 4 larger ones too and the special assistance have always been at the front of the queue (or just behind the diamonds if it’s a diamond guest). I will be hugely astonished if this has changed as like EllaBlair said it would defeat the purpose. You can’t have someone who is unable to stand for long periods standing in a que for 45 minutes or longer. I think there has just been a breakdown in communication here somewhere. Hopefully a mod will confirm this soon.

Edited by Ravogd

To be honest I was very surprised and queried it further.  But was told that was the rule. If it turns out they were wrong. I'll be absolutely raging cause I just bought a gold pass as I couldn't see any other way I could cope and I'd already spent too much money to pull out.  If we get it confirmed that it is the way we thought and the info I was given was incorrect I hope I can get a refund 

3 minutes ago, Ravogd said:

I have been attending Showmasters events for years and have been a carer at 4 larger ones too and the special assistance have always been at the front of the queue (or just behind the diamonds if it’s a diamond guest). I will be hugely astonished if this has changed as like EllaBlair said it would defeat the purpose. You can’t have someone who is unable to stand for long periods standing in a que for 45 minutes or longer. I think there has just been a breakdown in communication here somewhere. Hopefully a mod will confirm this soon.

They wouldn't have them stand for 45 in the queue but they would need to wait till their batch was called and then they would be pushed brought that queue quickly.  I did explain that with Olympia so big go backwards and forwards between the shoots checking batch number etc would be next to impossible for someone with disabilities and waiting till the end till you know the batch number has been called isn't really that helpful either with so many overlaps. I'll wait and hear from the mods. 

It says on the photoshoot section of the Access page on the website: Photo shoots – You must have a valid ticket for the shoot you are attending but if you make yourself known to the crew member in the area and they will expedite your queuing time. Your carer can assist you right up to the shoot inside the booth and standing out of shot whilst the photo is taken.  Our photo printing is instant and you can collect your print before exiting the booth.  

As everyone will be at the venue now it may be very difficult for Queen to get anyone.  As the above says it's still the old way I would go with that, they are the update Access rules.  If you are worried check with the Access team when you collect your pass and go speak to the crew/pit boss running the photoshoot queue's.

Edited by Raylenth

14 minutes ago, red8886 said:

To be honest I was very surprised and queried it further.  But was told that was the rule. If it turns out they were wrong. I'll be absolutely raging cause I just bought a gold pass as I couldn't see any other way I could cope and I'd already spent too much money to pull out.  If we get it confirmed that it is the way we thought and the info I was given was incorrect I hope I can get a refund 

This ^^. I attended last year and was astounded with how good the assistance was, apart from the lack of seats. They already removed the fact that special assistance people don't need virtual queue tickets, not a big deal for me as I have people attending who can run for the queue tickets. Others will be really screwed over by that rule due to having to use the lifts which are notoriously bad at olympia. With the removal of being able to just join the front of the photo shoot queue it's going to make for an unnecessarily uncomfortable day for anyone with special assistance. I can't be running back and forth between the very few seats to photo shoots to find out if my batch has been called yet. I also can't just hang around the shoot waiting as I can't stand for long 5-10 minutes would be my tolerance point on a normal day, bear in mind the conditions in Olympia where it is a very long day with searing temperatures this is going  to be horrible.

Your special assistance last year was amazing, I don't understand why you would change all this and make it harder on those who need help during the day most.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EllaBlair said:

This ^^. I attended last year and was astounded with how good the assistance was, apart from the lack of seats. They already removed the fact that special assistance people don't need virtual queue tickets, not a big deal for me as I have people attending who can run for the queue tickets. Others will be really screwed over by that rule due to having to use the lifts which are notoriously bad at olympia. With the removal of being able to just join the front of the photo shoot queue it's going to make for an unnecessarily uncomfortable day for anyone with special assistance. I can't be running back and forth between the very few seats to photo shoots to find out if my batch has been called yet. I also can't just hang around the shoot waiting as I can't stand for long 5-10 minutes would be my tolerance point on a normal day, bear in mind the conditions in Olympia where it is a very long day with searing temperatures this is going  to be horrible.

Your special assistance last year was amazing, I don't understand why you would change all this and make it harder on those who need help during the day most.

Please read my post above Ella.

I actually managed to dooze off for an hour. How dare I.

Seeing 'the mods' were addressed in some places I'll give thesmall version of my last rant: currently one Mod - me -, not in the UK and in hospital recovering from surgery. I am trying what I can, but these 'surgery' and 'not in the UK' bits kind of limit my options. Everyone from the UK is at the venue helping with set up too.

42 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

It says on the photoshoot section of the Access page on the website: Photo shoots – You must have a valid ticket for the shoot you are attending but if you make yourself known to the crew member in the area and they will expedite your queuing time. Your carer can assist you right up to the shoot inside the booth and standing out of shot whilst the photo is taken.  Our photo printing is instant and you can collect your print before exiting the booth.  

As everyone will be at the venue now it may be very difficult for Queen to get anyone.  As the above says it's still the old way I would go with that, they are the update Access rules.  If you are worried check with the Access team when you collect your pass and go speak to the crew/pit boss running the photoshoot queue's.

This is is actual what the team answering the queries on SMs messenger page pointed to  but they prefaced it with it meant when your batch had been called.  I did say I'd like to give them feedback that the guidance doesn't specifically mention the batches so it would be useful if that could be updated 

23 minutes ago, Queen_Sindel said:

I actually managed to dooze off for an hour. How dare I.

Seeing 'the mods' were addressed in some places I'll give thesmall version of my last rant: currently one Mod - me -, not in the UK and in hospital recovering from surgery. I am trying what I can, but these 'surgery' and 'not in the UK' bits kind of limit my options. Everyone from the UK is at the venue helping with set up too.

Hi QS I am sorry for tagging you, I did see your previous post I was just hoping for an answer and couldn't think of anyone else to tag. I hope you're feeling better, no pressure for an answer from you (wasn't expecting anyone given your circumstances!). Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Edited because you posted same time as I did! Thank you for the answer, it's good to know for sure.

Edited by EllaBlair

5 hours ago, red8886 said:

Hi there 

ive just had confirmation from SM (Facebook messenger) that this is not the case. With extra assistance you need to still wait for your batch.  Just wanted to post this because it's an absolute game changer for me.  I'm actually not sure how I'm going to manage the convention at all now so wanted to give others a heads up so they can plan accordingly 

1 hour ago, Raylenth said:

29 minutes ago, Queen_Sindel said:

TooTall says the Facebook messenger crew has the same info. He can only guess that there has been a misunderstanding along the way.

The situation is definitely like I posted.

There was similar initial confusion last year, but with the autograph queue. Eventually it was clarified, but that has now changed for this year as mentioned above.

As far as I have been made aware if you have EH in the photo area, turn up when you can and they'll slip you as near to the front of the queue as practicably as possible. Obviously if you turn up early and double check it will help the crew immensely on the day. If confusion persists, have a word at the extra help desk and they will clear things up pretty quickly.

• Like 1

Yeah I've gone back to the messenger thread to say what Too Tall advised.  If I pop to the sales desk hopefully something can be worked out about the unnecessary gold pass i now have 

Very glad this was just mistaken information. Apologises for anyone that, like me, got concerned!  I just wanted to pass on what I had been told.  So relieved 

Hi! 

Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times before, but I'm only after one VQ ticket for Peter Capaldi. I'm sure he's going to be quite the popular guest, especially since his DPs have sold out, but he is there for two days. Is turning up at 7am Saturday for the queue appropriate for the one ticket? Obviously no one can see the future, and I know that it's not guaranteed even with a VQ that I'll get to see him, but I'm both worried that it's too soon to get into the queue and not soon enough XD

5 minutes ago, dannifielding said:

Hi! 

Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times before, but I'm only after one VQ ticket for Peter Capaldi. I'm sure he's going to be quite the popular guest, especially since his DPs have sold out, but he is there for two days. Is turning up at 7am Saturday for the queue appropriate for the one ticket? Obviously no one can see the future, and I know that it's not guaranteed even with a VQ that I'll get to see him, but I'm both worried that it's too soon to get into the queue and not soon enough XD

I'm pretty sure you would stand a good chance.

3 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

should be early enough that time, peter capaldi DP are back up for sale at the moment just checked, if that helps.

I'd love a diamond pass but I already have a photo and diamond talk (I didn't have the money to buy full when I first booked) and even though I can afford the difference, I can't really justify another £225. Thanks for the heads up, though :)

2 minutes ago, dannifielding said:

I'd love a diamond pass but I already have a photo and diamond talk (I didn't have the money to buy full when I first booked) and even though I can afford the difference, I can't really justify another £225. Thanks for the heads up, though :)

No probs thought would give you the heads up, am getting other things and same can not really justify either.

I've not dared step foot into LFCC ever since 2014 when Stan Lee attended and it was rammed wall-to-wall with people. Have things got better since then or is it still still rammed?

Sorry if this has been asked already.

5 minutes ago, nicky said:

I've not dared step foot into LFCC ever since 2014 when Stan Lee attended and it was rammed wall-to-wall with people. Have things got better since then or is it still still rammed?

Sorry if this has been asked already.

i would also like to know this i've not been back since my first time in 2014 we was queuing just to get round the stalls never seen a convention so busy