New Attendees advice thread

Raylenth

11 minutes ago, TankerT said:

Hi everyone.  I know some of this has been answered before, but I can't find it.  So thanks for reading and answering in advance.

First, I saw some folks chatting about wearable fans.  I have never been to this venue.  Should I expect it to be hot?  (I.E. is there no A/C, or is the A/C under-powered?)

I am planning my route in to Olympia.  I know there is supposed to be some type of disruption with the overground.  But, I am not certain what days that is.  I am trying to navigate the TFL site, but I am not sure I am doing it right and hoping that someone can verify my thinking.

If I am correct in what I think, it seems that the overground to Kensington (Olympia) will run on Thursday (for pass pickup) and Friday for the show, but NOT Saturday and Sunday. It also seems that the tube stop at Kensignton (Olympia) only runs on Saturday and Sunday.  And, that the only line it is on is District.   Is this correct?

It's hot Tanker, there is aircon but in the older parts of the building there's only so much it can do, combine that with possible 30/31 degree heat outside and thousands of people inside all generating heat, there's only so much the aircon can do, so yes, expect it to be hot inside.

Saturday and sunday there is disruption to the Overground, there may be issues with buses and the EC-KO branch line on Sunday due to the Cycle race going on.

The branch line normally only works at the weekend yes, and only from Earls court, you have to swap for it.  It's not coming up as an option for me on Sunday though it doesn't say it's not running so I don't know about Sunday basically.  Yes the Overground line is running fine during the week.

Edited by Raylenth

Get yourself a handheld fan, Tanker. I bought one with a cooling mist, you put water inside and it sprays you, keeps you nice and cool. Also make sure to bring a large water flask so you're able to keep yourself hydrated. I've never been to Olympia before either, and am definitely not adept to hot, crowded buildings. I can't stand the heat, especially inside, but with the fan and plenty of water, should be good. ^_^ It'll all be worth it. Oh, and bring good deodorant, just in case. ;)

30 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

It's hot Tanker, there is aircon but in the older parts of the building there's only so much it can do, combine that with possible 30/31 degree heat outside and thousands of people inside all generating heat, there's only so much the aircon can do, so yes, expect it to be hot inside.

Do we know what parts of the event are normally in the "older" part of the building?  So, it sounds like the newer parts are more comfortable?

11 minutes ago, TankerT said:

Do we know what parts of the event are normally in the "older" part of the building?  So, it sounds like the newer parts are more comfortable?

Auto area - it's a low roof as well, the rest of the venue, the main stage/photo area is newer and the traders area's both floors are high ceilinged/open ceilinged so the heat is a bit better in there

This is my first LFCC (and first real major con) and I'm going exclusively for Matt on the Sunday, so I'm just trying to figure out some times. I've got a hotel to stay in overnight, but a 6.28pm train to catch on the Sunday so ideally need to leave around half five to get there in time (paranoid about missing >_>) and I'm in Batch 7 for photos. I'm also unable to stand for too long (I have medical letters I'm hoping will cover for an extra help band) so I'm just figuring out what the best time would be to get there. I'm considering adding an autograph to the schedule, but unsure yet. 

I'm staying out by Heathrow.

I'm confused if doors open at 9 or 10 for standard pass. I can be there for 9, I'm just curious to see if that would be recommended, or if I could get there later and still be okay?

How fast are batches for shoots usually seen? I'd hate to have to leave before being seen. 

The doors open for everyone at 9 on Sunday.  If you want an auto and don't have a diamond pass you are advised to get there as early as possible as you will need a VQ ticket for him and as he's there only a day and has the Diamonds to see first he's going to be busy.

the schedule will be out in the next couple of days hopefully so you can see what time his shoot will be.  It's hard to advise as he may have a solo long shoot or a split one with an AM/PM session.  If it's split you will be in the PM session.

45 minutes ago, natedammit said:

Don't just expect it to be hot, expect it to be incredibly, uncomfortably, disgustingly hot. 

Look after yourselves.

Thanks Nate. :lol: Have got everything possible to keep cool. Nothing else to do. Most important for me is to keep plenty hydrated. Oh and will probably bring strong sun cream too...

19 hours ago, VikingGrrrl said:

Be aware about this if you're traveling by train:

Thank you for the heads up.  I've given a check, and it looks like it's not going to impact on my journey.  Thanks again, though. :-)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kurdamoni said:

Daniel Craig is amazing yes, combines all the characteristics a Bond should have, next year for sure! you're not attending Saturday? 

No my family can’t come Saturday so just Sunday, I don’t mind though since it’s my first time at LFCC!

On 17/7/2018 at 9:50 PM, etmuse said:

Free talk schedule will be announced at the same time as the rest of the schedule, around a week before the show.

I'm not sure what you're asking with retrieving tickets - entry/photo tickets etc are bar codes that don't need any further retrieval (and queuing to 'use' them is unavoidable). 

Hey!

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant for picking up the passes. Since it's possible to pick up the 3 day tickets on Thursday, I would want to know if it's possible to pick up the pass for a friend if he's not there on thursday, so he doesn't need to queue on Friday :)

Thanks for the free talks info! I've just seen the schedules are published now :) 

27 minutes ago, gascon95 said:

Hey!

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant for picking up the passes. Since it's possible to pick up the 3 day tickets on Thursday, I would want to know if it's possible to pick up the pass for a friend if he's not there on thursday, so he doesn't need to queue on Friday :)

Thanks for the free talks info! I've just seen the schedules are published now :) 

You can't pickup a wristband (gold pass or weekend entry) for someone else. If that is what you mean

I just want to throw a piece of advice in here (based on my own idiocy last year).  When you're looking at the schedule, be VERY AWARE that those little time blocks are 5 minute increments.  If you're aiming for someone who has only 1 or 2 blocks for their photo shoot, be aware that you're looking at a tight window and, um, make sure you're not in line outside Olympia when that time ticks away.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, VikingGrrrl said:

You can't pickup a wristband (gold pass or weekend entry) for someone else. If that is what you mean

Yeah, that's what I meant. I just read it on the new thread with info for that. Thanks!

Hi, I'm a complete novice here. I've been reading some of this thread to get an idea what to expect but I'm the village plank for obvious reasons, lol. I only have the double shoot for Daniel Gillies and Paul Wesley. Saturday, batch 4 And assume I may get 5 seconds with each guest for a pic. However, I would like to have an autograph from Daniel aswell, is it best to order it now online? What are the chances of getting an image from helpers for him to sign and would I still need to get a vq? Sorry for the questions that may well have been previously answered but I only joined this thread on page 68. x

Edited by Snorby
Omitted some info

You can't pre order Snorby, you can only get them on the day when you are in the auto queue, please read this on how the auto's work as you will need to get a VQ ticket for Daniel if you want an auto https://www.londonfilmandcomiccon.com/index.php/2014-09-29-15-24-14/autographs.  Not sure what you mean about getting an image from helpers?  Do you mean can the crew get the auto for you? If yes, then no.  The crew are there to run the event and manage the queue's they can't get your auto for you, you have to get a VQ and wait for your turn I'm afraid.

33 minutes ago, Snorby said:

Hi, I'm a complete novice here. I've been reading some of this thread to get an idea what to expect but I'm the village plank for obvious reasons, lol. I only have the double shoot for Daniel Gillies and Paul Wesley. Saturday, batch 4 And assume I may get 5 seconds with each guest for a pic. However, I would like to have an autograph from Daniel aswell, is it best to order it now online? What are the chances of getting an image from helpers for him to sign and would I still need to get a vq? Sorry for the questions that may well have been previously answered but I only joined this thread on page 68. x

25 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

You can't pre order Snorby, you can only get them on the day when you are in the auto queue, please read this on how the auto's work as you will need to get a VQ ticket for Daniel if you want an auto https://www.londonfilmandcomiccon.com/index.php/2014-09-29-15-24-14/autographs.  Not sure what you mean about getting an image from helpers?  Do you mean can the crew get the auto for you? If yes, then no.  The crew are there to run the event and manage the queue's they can't get your auto for you, you have to get a VQ and wait for your turn I'm afraid.

The online pre order service is meant for people who can’t make the show and the autos will be posted out. If you want to meet him for your auto, you need to do it at the show.

i’m guessing ‘Helpers’ is a show/film he was in? In which case it’s best to bring your own image if there is something specific you want as the table images are likely to be from their main fandom. We are not properly told what images will be available on the day but you can get an idea by looking at the preorder site, but be aware this is not confirmation that it will definitely be available on the day. 

On the day you will vq if he is busy and the vq system is running for him.

Sorry, Plank here, I totally worded it wrong I guess, and thanks for your help. What I meant to say is, Can I pay for the autograph now, for when I'm there on Sat so I don't miss the chance or slot to be able to get 1, if that makes sense? I saw on a guide that guests have helpers with Vq tickets, and images (Pics) that you can get for the guest to sign.I have a shoot and I'm batch 4 so probably wont be able to get that pic signed so wanted to make sure I got a pic from his helpers (Vendors) for him to sign. I hope you can understand what I'm asking and thank you hun x

Edited by Snorby

19 minutes ago, Snorby said:

Sorry, Plank here, I totally worded it wrong I guess, and thanks for your help. What I meant to say is, Can I pay for the autograph now, for when I'm there on Sat so I don't miss the chance or slot to be able to get 1, if that makes sense? I saw on a guide that guests have helpers with Vq tickets, and images (Pics) that you can get for the guest to sign.I have a shoot and I'm batch 4 so probably wont be able to get that pic signed so wanted to make sure I got a pic from his helpers (Vendors) for him to sign. I hope you can understand what I'm asking and thank you hun x

Ah, I see. No, you cannot prepay for autos you want to collect on the day. You will need to get a vq ticket and when your number is called you can go up and pay for your auto.

They are usually called Crew Members rather than Helpers, so that is where my confusion was! There will be one crew member at the end of a guest’s queue handing out the vq tickets if that guest is using them, and another crew member will be collecting payment and will have a selection of pictures you can use to get signed. Unless the guest is very very busy, it is unlikely that all pictures will get used, but more popular images might. This crew member might be part way down the queue at a table or sitting next to the guest depending on how it is set out for them.

I hope this answers you question. I assure you it’ll all make sense on the day, but if you have problems, just speak to a crew member who will be able to help

• Like 1

Thank you for clarifying that hun.  So, to summarize, I should arrive at venue as early as poss, find Daniel Gillies auto desk, get a vq ticket asap, and then just keep busy until my number is up, get my photo signed and wait for photo shoot, that's all I need to worry about, yes? I'm 56 years old and never done any thing like this before, lol. TIA for all advice hun x

Edited by Snorby
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Snorby said:

Thank you for clarifying that hun.  So, to summarize, I should arrive at venue as early as poss, find Daniel Gillies auto desk, get a vq ticket asap, and then just keep busy until my number is up, get my photo signed and wait for photo shoot, that's all I need to worry about, yes? I'm 56 years old and never done any thing like this before, lol. TIA for all advice hun x

Yes :thumbup: Good luck! 

6 hours ago, Snorby said:

That's it! Hope you get it!

6 hours ago, Snorby said:

And don’t forget to have loads:D of fun! 

8 hours ago, Snorby said:

Just be aware that if you do get called into Daniels auto queue you may have an opportunity to have the print from your photo shoot signed if you prefer.  You may well be having your photo done before your number comes up in the auto queue and as your photo gets instantly printed you collect it as you leave the photo booth.

Also just to note that the VQ is just a place in the auto queue and is not a guarantee of being called through.