New Attendees advice thread

Raylenth

8 minutes ago, TankerT said:

Thanks.  So does that mean you were the first to physically pick up the BC DP, or the first to order one?

First to order :lol: Dp's are always issued in purchase order so it's all fair

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, fanowaty said:

I see Benedict and Finn under his, but what's the 3rd one? :D 

I put my pass collection on one chain so the longer one is from Sherlocked and the one under Finn will be Mads

12 hours ago, wjbleming said:

Dark Arxnine is correct, you get them on the day and for the more popular guests, they'll be on the Virtual Queue tickets (the "tickets" Dark is referring to). These are raffle style numbered tickets that you collect from the end of a guest's queue. Once your VQ number is on a board at the end of the guest's queue, you can then join the queue. :smile:

Thank you

12 hours ago, VikingGrrrl said:

Yes, no glass bottles

Cant I take my stainless steel one?

I have a three-day ticket.

I do not intend to race anyone for any VQ tickets.  It's all photo shoots and talks for me  -- and, as it turns out, nearly all of it is Sunday.

Assume I come at some point on Friday to get my wristband and wander the floor.  

Assume my action Sunday (not as crazy as many of yours, but certainly fun-filled) starts 'round about 10.

When would you recommend arriving at Kensington/Olympia station?  I'm trying to avoid the rush of everyone queueing to be let in when the doors open.  I keep imagining a magical world where I walk right up and get let in without queueing around the building, but I don't know if that actually exists.

9 hours ago, Pir8Jenny said:

I do not intend to race anyone for any VQ tickets.  It's all photo shoots and talks for me  -- and, as it turns out, nearly all of it is Sunday.

Assume I come at some point on Friday to get my wristband and wander the floor.  YEs

Assume my action Sunday (not as crazy as many of yours, but certainly fun-filled) starts 'round about 10.

When would you recommend arriving at Kensington/Olympia station?  I'm trying to avoid the rush of everyone queueing to be let in when the doors open.  I keep imagining a magical world where I walk right up and get let in without queueing around the building, but I don't know if that actually exists.  Up to you, if you don't need any VQ's, in time for your first activity

Thanks, but I'm trying to figure out what "in time for my first activity" actually is (as i managed to miss it last year).  If I'm trying to get in around 10, how early do you think I need to join the queue?

I realize nobody can predict this with perfect accuracy, but I'm hoping for a guess based on more experience than my own.

11 minutes ago, Pir8Jenny said:

Thanks, but I'm trying to figure out what "in time for my first activity" actually is (as i managed to miss it last year).  If I'm trying to get in around 10, how early do you think I need to join the queue?

I realize nobody can predict this with perfect accuracy, but I'm hoping for a guess based on more experience than my own.

I got there at 9 last year on Sunday and the queue was up to the main road, but entry is very quick so I think aiming for 9 is a good idea.  It gives you a bit of flexibility

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Raylenth said:

Yeah, you pay at the shoot Cazza.  I think they are £5 Dalek.

In the official FAQ it said 10 pounds. They used to be 5 pounds, but last year the Big Band Theory set was 10 pounds and I think they decided to ramp both of them up this year.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pir8Jenny said:

Assume I come at some point on Friday to get my wristband and wander the floor.  

When would you recommend arriving at Kensington/Olympia station?  I'm trying to avoid the rush of everyone queueing to be let in when the doors open.  I keep imagining a magical world where I walk right up and get let in without queueing around the building, but I don't know if that actually exists.

On Friday you will have to queue to get the wristband, but on the other days you just show it and get through if you arrive after opening time. You just have to have a quick bag inspection and then you're in. If you arrive at 9:30 e.g., you don't have to queue around the building.

Do you think arriving at 6:30-7AM on the Sunday would give me a good chance of being towards the front of the queue? A couple of guests I want (Paul McGann, Steven Moffat, Matthew Wood) aren't on DP (and I couldn't afford more DPs for Pearl Mackie and David Bradley) but I'm aware there will be a rush for VQ tickets. Should I get there earlier?

(Appreciate nobody can "guarantee" anything but just looking for a good heads up)

Just now, autographfan said:

Do you think arriving at 6:30-7AM on the Sunday would give me a good chance of being towards the front of the queue? A couple of guests I want (Paul McGann, Steven Moffat, Matthew Wood) aren't on DP (and I couldn't afford more DPs for Pearl Mackie and David Bradley) but I'm aware there will be a rush for VQ tickets. Should I get there earlier?

(Appreciate nobody can "guarantee" anything but just looking for a good heads up)

I would imagine arriving at that time will certainly give you a good chance :D

24 minutes ago, autographfan said:

I think you'll be OK.

I think you will be good.  Paul McGann has done a few events before, Moffat's only doing auto's all day so you have a good 8 hours to get him, Wood will be popular, but I don't see any of them as being horribly hard to get

On 18/07/2018 at 12:07 PM, EllaBlair said:

For photo shoots you do not have to wait for your batch to be called, just make yourself known to a crew member at the entrance to the shoot and they will have you wait outside the queue. Disabled people go after diamond and golds unless you hold one of those passes too.

For autographs this year you do need to get a virtual queue ticket which I wish they hadn't changed. The early entrance doesn't give you much chance to get up the stairs as it will only be about 2 minutes. Trying to get to the big guests before everyone else rushes in will still be pretty impossible.

Hi there 

ive just had confirmation from SM (Facebook messenger) that this is not the case. With extra assistance you need to still wait for your batch.  Just wanted to post this because it's an absolute game changer for me.  I'm actually not sure how I'm going to manage the convention at all now so wanted to give others a heads up so they can plan accordingly