New Attendees advice thread

Raylenth

8 minutes ago, DanielNvL said:

Thanks a lot for the reply It's appreciated! it's given me more confidence for when I get there! :) Are the VQ tickets quite easy to purchase when you're there or are they normally big queues? Thanks again :)

You don't purchase them ;) You go to the place where a guest is sitting. And if they will be under this system you'll see a crew member giving out numbered tickets, which hold your spot in the queue. When the guest will arrive, they will start calling people by the numbers. So it's best to get the numbers for all the guests you want to meet.

Then, when your number is called (they write them on cards where the queue starts, so you can easily see what numbers are going in now), you join the queue and pay (and select image you'd like signed) at the table. ;) So the VQ tickets itself are free, as they don't guarantee you an autograph, but hold your spot in the queue.

But as I said, some guests will be an open queue, where you simply pay and get an autograph, no VQ tickets needed. You will understand that when you'll get there - if the guest does not have VQ system, there will be no crew members giving out tickets near his/her table. 

Hope that's clear. :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chris1970 said:

By experience, I have collected some quick autos last few hours of the day..usually abit easier then. Saturday is the most busy, followed by Sunday and Friday. But I suggest you try to list those who are most important to you. Go for them first, keep an eye on queues and take the chance when you see a gap. I think you will manage to get them. ^_^

Thanks a lot for the advice :) I think I'll go for Peter Mayhew first then work my way down, Thanks again :)

3 minutes ago, fanowaty said:

You don't purchase them ;) You go to the place where a guest is sitting. And if they will be under this system you'll see a crew member giving out numbered tickets, which hold your spot in the queue. When the guest will arrive, they will start calling people by the numbers. So it's best to get the numbers for all the guests you want to meet.

Then, when your number is called (they write them on cards where the queue starts, so you can easily see what numbers are going in now), you join the queue and pay (and select image you'd like signed) at the table. ;) So the VQ tickets itself are free, as they don't guarantee you an autograph, but hold your spot in the queue.

But as I said, some guests will be an open queue, where you simply pay and get an autograph, no VQ tickets needed. You will understand that when you'll get there - if the guest does not have VQ system, there will be no crew members giving out tickets near his/her table. 

Hope that's clear. :)

I get you, thanks for making it clear! It sounds a lot more simple now as I was thinking it'd be a lot harder haha really looking forward to going. Thanks again it's very appreciated :D 

Just now, DanielNvL said:

I get you, thanks for making it clear! It sounds a lot more simple now as I was thinking it'd be a lot harder haha really looking forward to going. Thanks again it's very appreciated :D 

You're welcome. Go to the bigger guests first or those more important to you. As it will be easy to miss the chance of meeting them. Believe me, I am saying that from my own experience...

• Like 1

Just now, fanowaty said:

You're welcome. Go to the bigger guests first or those more important to you. As it will be easy to miss the chance of meeting them. Believe me, I am saying that from my own experience...

Yeah that's what I think I'm going to do! I'll go to Peter Mayhew first then work my way down :D Thanks again!

• Like 1

Just to make sure it's still the same, if we're upgrading to a Diamond Pass, we buy the Diamond Pass and email shop@showmastersevents.com including the names and order numbers on both for the photoshoot to be refunded, isn't it?

15 minutes ago, wjbleming said:

Just to make sure it's still the same, if we're upgrading to a Diamond Pass, we buy the Diamond Pass and email shop@showmastersevents.com including the names and order numbers on both for the photoshoot to be refunded, isn't it?

That is what I did with Rory McCann

1 hour ago, wjbleming said:

I just emailed last night to request upgrading to a DP for Tony Robinson and was told exactly this

4 minutes ago, wjbleming said:

What a coincidence, were doing it for the same person! (Actually!) lol

Haha! *high fives*

Actually, what if there's only one left... @wjbleming quick, look over there, there's a badger with a gun..!!

*dashes off to send email*

2 minutes ago, Broo said:

Haha! *high fives*

Actually, what if there's only one left... @wjbleming quick, look over there, there's a badger with a gun..!!

*dashes off to send email*

*high five!* (OK. Now I have a mental image of Borat. Ew! :no::spew:)

Nah, it's just Nate with a squirt gun. Nothing to worry about. Just let him carry on. He'll find his intended target before long... ;)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wjbleming said:

*high five!* (OK. Now I have a mental image of Borat. Ew! :no::spew:)

Nah, it's just Nate with a squirt gun. Nothing to worry about. Just let him carry on. He'll find his intended target before long... ;)

I've... never seen Borat so I guess I'm lucky for that lol

Ah badger, bear, always confusing those two... ;)

6 minutes ago, Broo said:

It's never appealed so I'm happy to keep it off my watch list :)

If I remember right, I was about 15 at the time and my younger cousin wanted to see it, so.... yeah. Wasn't exactly my choice. Had the age demographic but still. No. lol

13 minutes ago, wjbleming said:

If I remember right, I was about 15 at the time and my younger cousin wanted to see it, so.... yeah. Wasn't exactly my choice. Had the age demographic but still. No. lol

I have actually managed to avoid all his movies. I guess it is also a generation thing plus not the type of movies I am looking for.

Edited by Chris1970

25 minutes ago, wjbleming said:

Wait how old are you again?

12 minutes ago, Chris1970 said:

I have actually managed to avoid all his movies. I guess it is also a generation thing plus not the type of movies I am looking for.

Yeah I'm not a fan of cringey/secondhand embarrassment type humour so his comedy style is not for me

4 hours ago, DanielNvL said:

Thanks a lot for the advice :) I think I'll go for Peter Mayhew first then work my way down, Thanks again :)

Just to help you work it all out Daniel. generally speaking guests who's auto price is under £20 will not be on the VQ system and will be open queue but as you will be going to their desks anyway you can double check as they can upgrade a guest to the VQ system if they turn out to be unexpectedly busy

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Raylenth said:

Just to help you work it all out Daniel. generally speaking guests who's auto price is under £20 will not be on the VQ system and will be open queue but as you will be going to their desks anyway you can double check as they can upgrade a guest to the VQ system if they turn out to be unexpectedly busy

That sounds good, the majority of the autographs I'm wanting are under £20-£25. Thanks for the help, everyone who's responded to me has helped me out a lot! Relieves a lot of stress as it's my first time going and it's great to have a better understanding of how things work. Thanks again :D 

4 minutes ago, DanielNvL said:

That sounds good, the majority of the autographs I'm wanting are under £20-£25. Thanks for the help, everyone who's responded to me has helped me out a lot! Relieves a lot of stress as it's my first time going and it's great to have a better understanding of how things work. Thanks again :D 

And remember. If you have any questions while you are at the con look for the nice crew in their t-shirts. They will help you. I did 10+ signings last year, most were non-VQ, and I managed to do them all, did not miss out on any of them. The bigger guests will have a VQ-system, if you want one of them you’d better plan ahead to get to the signing area (see floor plan when it will be released..usually 7-10 days before) and get a ticket for those. Yes, there will be a morning vq-rush each day. I have Diamond Pass for the guests I really want autos from (far from all guests have Diamond Pass) but the rest I have planned are just like yours, most likely non-vq. The guest will be at the table signing all day unless they are at a photo session or having something to eat and such. They will be there until closing hour. But I would advice you put priority on guests who are there one day only, if the queing gets too large they might become a vq-guest even if it is £20 or less. The multi-day guests will be calmer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chris1970 said:

And remember. If you have any questions while you are at the con look for the nice crew in their t-shirts. They will help you. I did 10+ signings last year, most were non-VQ, and I managed to do them all, did not miss out on any of them. The bigger guests will have a VQ-system, if you want one of them you’d better plan ahead to get to the signing area (see floor plan when it will be released..usually 7-10 days before) and get a ticket for those. Yes, there will be a morning vq-rush each day. I have Diamond Pass for the guests I really want autos from (far from all guests have Diamond Pass) but the rest I have planned are just like yours, most likely non-vq. The guest will be at the table signing all day unless they are at a photo session or having something to eat and such. They will be there until closing hour. But I would advice you put priority on guests who are there one day only, if the queing gets too large they might become a vq-guest even if it is £20 or less. The multi-day guests will be calmer.

Thanks again for the advice it's appreciated, really looking forward to going :D If there was a Diamond pass for Peter Mayhew I would most likely buy it however I don't see one, will double check once I'm home. Thanks again for the help, can't wait to get the autographs I want :)