New Attendees advice thread

Raylenth

3 minutes ago, KevSim said:

Thanks both - appreciate it. I bought my ticket on the day he was announced, so hopefully I should be ok. 

I think you will be absolutely fine in that case.

Double checking but you have bought a Friday entry ticket as the Diamond doesn't include entry?

Edited by Raylenth
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, KevSim said:

I bought the diamond pass for Meat Loaf as I thought this would be the best way to guarantee both a photo and an autograph. Are you saying that I should have bought a different ticket? 

9 minutes ago, Wrong Name said:

No, as I said I think you'll be fine. As Friday is generally the quieter day, I think they will easily get passed all Diamond ticket numbers and onto VQs for Meat Loaf. I was just warning you that it COULD be possible they don't get to your number. But I doubt it.

3 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

If you bought your ticket early and have a low number you will definitely be fine.

Also, in the (unlikely?) event they don’t call all Diamond Passes on the day that would mean they won’t call any VQ numbers either, so a Diamond Pass is still your best option if you really want his autograph since it gives you priority ;)

Anyway, as Raylenth mentioned I guess you won’t have any problem getting the auto any day you want since you’ve booked his DP on the day he was announced so you’ll probably be among the very first few groups to be called ^_^

Just now, R4wly97 said:

@VikingGrrrl @Raylenth Thanks :D

Didn’t know you could go in and get the diamond passes first then queue, is that the best way round to do things then?

You may not be able to but it's worth checking with the people on the door.  If you can it'll be quicker as you will queue for that then rejoin the main queue otherwise you have to join the main queue, go in then go to the table.  It's not a massive deal.  If you can't get it first, go in and get any VQ's you need then hurry back down and get your Diamond.  If you don't need VQ's then just leave the queue as you get to the table and get your pass and then rejoin the queue, chances are if you have to wait until the doors are open to get inside if the queue is long there won't be many people left and may just be able to walk straight in.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KevSim said:

Thanks for your response. This part worries me a bit though - I bought the diamond pass for Meat Loaf as I thought this would be the best way to guarantee both a photo and an autograph. Are you saying that I should have bought a different ticket? 

No, he's saying that Diamond Pass activities are spread out throughout the weekend. They guarantee you everything over the course of the weekend. :smile:

10 hours ago, R4wly97 said:

Can anyone give a rough idea how bad the entry queue into the Olympia is and how long it approximately takes to gain entry?

Longer than I thought?

Last year, I went for Sunday only.  Had a couple of prepaid photos, no interest in VQ tickets.  Figured there was no need to get there when it opened (and get caught in what I imagined to be the mad stampede up the stairs for VQ tickets) so I came later in the morning, thinking the entry queue would be non-existent and I could walk right in.

Heh.  Wrong.   I'm sure the amount of time you're in that queue varies based on what time you come (and how many people just got off that train at Olympia), but I, for one, am planning to allow at least a half-hour for late-morning entry (and hope to be pleasantly surprised if it's less).

2 hours ago, Pir8Jenny said:

Longer than I thought?

Last year, I went for Sunday only.  Had a couple of prepaid photos, no interest in VQ tickets.  Figured there was no need to get there when it opened (and get caught in what I imagined to be the mad stampede up the stairs for VQ tickets) so I came later in the morning, thinking the entry queue would be non-existent and I could walk right in.

Heh.  Wrong.   I'm sure the amount of time you're in that queue varies based on what time you come (and how many people just got off that train at Olympia), but I, for one, am planning to allow at least a half-hour for late-morning entry (and hope to be pleasantly surprised if it's less).

That reminds me of a little info for everyone trying to enter late-morning. Don't know if this is what happened to you. There are afternoon tickets (seems like they are only available on Friday this year) that gives entry from 12.00. If you have a regular ticket and trying to enter after opening hours, but before 12, make sure you don't end up in their queue and have to stand waiting till 12 to enter.

46 minutes ago, VikingGrrrl said:

That reminds me of a little info for everyone trying to enter late-morning. Don't know if this is what happened to you. There are afternoon tickets (seems like they are only available on Friday this year) that gives entry from 12.00. If you have a regular ticket and trying to enter after opening hours, but before 12, make sure you don't end up in their queue and have to stand waiting till 12 to enter.

Very good point.  Yes, if you are arriving late on an standard entry and the late entry are queuing, go to the front and identify yourself to the crew.  They may offer later entry tickets for Saturday and Sunday but normally only do it nearer the event if they aren't going to sell out of regular entry.

12 hours ago, VikingGrrrl said:

Good point, yes.  That wasn't what I got caught in (it was more of a 10:30 Sunday type of situation); but I hadn't been aware to look out for that.

The queue in the morning convinced me, though, that I wasn't going anywhere outside the building for lunch.  It was just me and a few hundred of my friends waiting for a table at Pizza Express.

1 hour ago, Pir8Jenny said:

It was just me and a few hundred of my friends waiting for a table at Pizza Express.

Okay, something tells me it’s better to bring my own food for lunch - and have a big breakfast at the hotel just in case :lol::P

Edited by Nerd Who
  • Haha 1

Actually, this raises a question --

(1)  There is a long line to get in.

(2)  Pizza Express has a door to the street AND a door to Olympia

(3)  There's a security guy inside the Pizza Express door to Olympia, making sure you have a ticket and aren't just sneaking in.

Inference:  Could an enterprising individual leave the con for lunch, come back in the Pizza Express front door, (maybe put in their name for a table and then "decide" the wait is too long), and re-enter the con from the Pizza Express side, thereby bypassing the long line outside?  I'm not saying I'd do it -- and I imagine there are policies in place to stop it -- but it did, maybe, cross my mind (while waiting to pay too much for acceptable lasagna).

1 hour ago, Pir8Jenny said:

Actually, this raises a question --

(1)  There is a long line to get in.

(2)  Pizza Express has a door to the street AND a door to Olympia

(3)  There's a security guy inside the Pizza Express door to Olympia, making sure you have a ticket and aren't just sneaking in.

Inference:  Could an enterprising individual leave the con for lunch, come back in the Pizza Express front door, (maybe put in their name for a table and then "decide" the wait is too long), and re-enter the con from the Pizza Express side, thereby bypassing the long line outside?  I'm not saying I'd do it -- and I imagine there are policies in place to stop it -- but it did, maybe, cross my mind (while waiting to pay too much for acceptable lasagna).

By the time Pizza Express opens the long line should be gone.

But yes, there is a policy in place to prevent this. Forgive me for not going into details, but if I do someone no doubt will do their best to get around them. Plus at least when I went last time there was an employee stationed at the convention side as well. So you wouldn't have to leave the con area to get a table. 

Newbie here. I have been to a few comic cons but never the London one (husband wouldn't let me come play) but this year he has had no choice but to let be come (that or divorce proceedings for refusal to let me meet Jason Momoa). I'm coming with my Bestie and we have Golden passes. What can we expect? Where do I go and do I enter my first cosplay masquerade?

19 minutes ago, Kirstie stark said:

Newbie here. I have been to a few comic cons but never the London one (husband wouldn't let me come play) but this year he has had no choice but to let be come (that or divorce proceedings for refusal to let me meet Jason Momoa). I'm coming with my Bestie and we have Golden passes. What can we expect? Where do I go and do I enter my first cosplay masquerade?

LOT. lol As you have Gold Passes, you get in earlier (think it's 5 minutes off hand) and that'll give you a chance to get your Virtual Queue (VQ) tickets for autographs for the Diamond Pass guests you want to meet (Golds get to join any non Diamond VQ line without a VQ ticket, for Diamond guests, you still need a VQ ticket, a raffle like ticket you're given at the end of the guests queue and you can join whenever your number is on the board)

The schedule is released about a week before LFCC, so be sure to note your Photoshoot times if you have any.

Be sure to wear comfy clothes and shoes, bring water, and just remember to enjoy yourself!

Edited by wjbleming

2 minutes ago, Starbuck73 said:

Not sure if this has been asked (in the previous 46 pages of this thread, or elsewhere)...

What is the "collectors book" advertised with each photoshoot? I am sure we didn't have them the last time I attended (which was 2014).

Only a couple of times so far, but plenty more times I'm sure.

It's a cardboardy foldy wallety advertisingy thingy to slide your photo into.

5 minutes ago, Starbuck73 said:

Not sure if this has been asked (in the previous 46 pages of this thread, or elsewhere)...

What is the "collectors book" advertised with each photoshoot? I am sure we didn't have them the last time I attended (which was 2014).

2 minutes ago, natedammit said:

Only a couple of times so far, but plenty more times I'm sure.

It's a cardboardy foldy wallety advertisingy thingy to slide your photo into.

Yeah, a bit like what you get at a theme park or similar

10 hours ago, R4wly97 said:

Are sharpie pens the best permanent markers to use on autographs and if so does anyone know if the metallic sharpies are ok to use like gold and silver?

There are other brands out there obviously that I'm sure are just as good but Sharpie are fine, there's no issues with them.  Metallic are OK R4, just like with all pens give it a second to dry before putting away and it will be fine.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

There are other brands out there obviously that I'm sure are just as good but Sharpie are fine, there's no issues with them.  Metallic are OK R4, just like with all pens give it a second to dry before putting away and it will be fine.

Gold and silver you must be especially careful with in that respect. A friend of mine once had a gold pen autograph wiped off because she didn't wait for it to dry!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, whitewillow said:

Gold and silver you must be especially careful with in that respect. A friend of mine once had a gold pen autograph wiped off because she didn't wait for it to dry!

That's why I advise getting the rigid holders and putting the auto in (if it's an 8x10) making sure to make sure it's on the diagonal so the signed bit isn't touching the cover for a bit, then by the time you put the next one in it's all safe.

• Thanks 1