New Attendees advice thread

Raylenth

13 minutes ago, fanowaty said:

Oh, by the way, if there is no Christopher Eccleston Print in the DP description, does it mean that one will not be included this time?

If so, that's quite sad, I love those prints much better than cups. (Just saying how I feel, not complaining at all).

That's what it means. The Diamond Pass packages are not always the same, a print is just the most popular additional item featured.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Queen_Sindel said:

That's what it means. The Diamond Pass packages are not always the same, a print is just the most popular additional item featured.

Okay, thanks for your reply ^_^ Does anyone know/are there any pictures of how the previous mugs looked? I mean, from previous years Diamond Passes? Just to get a sense of what they are?

14 minutes ago, fanowaty said:

Okay, thanks for your reply ^_^ Does anyone know/are there any pictures of how the previous mugs looked? I mean, from previous years Diamond Passes? Just to get a sense of what they are?

P_20180217_164929P_20180217_164937P_20180217_164941

• Like 1

Hello Lovely people, this is the first con I've ever been to and in fact it will be the first time I've left my flat in the last three years, but the lure of the Battlestar Galactica cast was too strong to resist and i'm using it as a reason to get myself out of the house and living again. I'm disabled and we've registered myself on the form on the website for the band to show I need a bit of extra help. I've purchased weekend entry passes for both myself and my fiancée who is also my carer so that he can also have access to the full event and photo ops as well as he is a big fan too, i'm booked in to have photos with most of Battlestar cast and have also booked tickets for fiancée too to have his photos, my question is, will he be able to be in the photo with me if we have both got tickets for that person? I'm on crutches mostly but will be in a wheelchair for the event and am worried there may be times where he is having his photo taken and i'll be left to wait for him alone. I suffer with anxiety and it's a big worry for me, or will we be able to be in the room with one another while the other is having the photo done? I'm just a bit scared as I've never been to one of this before and I know it'll be very busy and being stranded alone in a wheelchair is bit overwhelming. Any help would be appreciated and also thanks for the awesome guests, I've been so excited following the guest announcements and build up to the event! Never ever thought i'd get to meet Edward James Olmos or Mary McDonnell! x

7 minutes ago, CarkinsBug said:

will he be able to be in the photo with me if we have both got tickets for that person?

Yes, you get 2 photos and therefore 2 poses. ^_^

8 minutes ago, CarkinsBug said:

will we be able to be in the room with one another while the other is having the photo done

The photos will be in the same area and you'll just have to move to the side to wait for your photos to print, so you'll not be too far away. Probably 10 to 15 metres or so. :smile:

And might I welcome you to the forum. I'll be getting the Battlestar Galactica cast as well on (Grace Park & Mary McDonnell on the Friday, EJ Olmos & Katie Sachoff on the Saturday and James Callis and Jamie Bamber on the Sunday) so if you see me, do say hi! :smile:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CarkinsBug said:

Hello Lovely people, this is the first con I've ever been to and in fact it will be the first time I've left my flat in the last three years, but the lure of the Battlestar Galactica cast was too strong to resist and i'm using it as a reason to get myself out of the house and living again. I'm disabled and we've registered myself on the form on the website for the band to show I need a bit of extra help. I've purchased weekend entry passes for both myself and my fiancée who is also my carer so that he can also have access to the full event and photo ops as well as he is a big fan too, i'm booked in to have photos with most of Battlestar cast and have also booked tickets for fiancée too to have his photos, my question is, will he be able to be in the photo with me if we have both got tickets for that person? I'm on crutches mostly but will be in a wheelchair for the event and am worried there may be times where he is having his photo taken and i'll be left to wait for him alone. I suffer with anxiety and it's a big worry for me, or will we be able to be in the room with one another while the other is having the photo done? I'm just a bit scared as I've never been to one of this before and I know it'll be very busy and being stranded alone in a wheelchair is bit overwhelming. Any help would be appreciated and also thanks for the awesome guests, I've been so excited following the guest announcements and build up to the event! Never ever thought i'd get to meet Edward James Olmos or Mary McDonnell! x

Hiya! I'm another extra help person and I attended last year, if you have any questions I'd be happy to help!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CarkinsBug said:

Thank you so much wjbleming, that's so thoughtful of you and a massive weight off of my mind! I'm now truly excited! Thank you :)

Also if in any doubt, if you are issued with the Access wristband just speak to the crew when you go for your shoot and explain and they will help.  But as wjbleming said if you both have tickets, you can go through at the same time.

The best thing I can advise, when you get into the building in the morning have a look around as you are going around the venue for places that look out of the way/quiet then later on if you need it you can go back if you need a bit of a time out.  If the layout is the same this year, the top floor where YALC were located is quieter so you can head up there if you need to be quiet for a bit.

Edited by Raylenth
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, EllaBlair said:

Hiya! I'm another extra help person and I attended last year, if you have any questions I'd be happy to help!

Thank you so much! You are all so friendly! Is it quite easy to get around at the event? I'm worrying I might run someone over in my excitement to get places! x

4 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Also if in any doubt, if you are issued with the Access wristband just speak to the crew when you go for your shoot and explain and they will help.  But as wjbleming said if you both have tickets, you can go through at the same time.

Thank you, that's awesome info to have! You guys rock :) This is all so exciting!

• Like 1

Congrats on buying tickets and you should hopefully have a fab time.  As you have Weekend tickets I'd recommend you come Friday if you can, it's the quietest of the 3 days so even if you don't plan on seeing any guests then it might be a nice calm way for you to see what it's like before the Saturday madness begins.  That way you can familiarise yourself with the venue, see where everything is and that may help you a little with the anxiety over what it's going to be like.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raylenth said:

Congrats on buying tickets and you should hopefully have a fab time.  As you have Weekend tickets I'd recommend you come Friday if you can, it's the quietest of the 3 days so even if you don't plan on seeing any guests then it might be a nice calm way for you to see what it's like before the Saturday madness begins.  That way you can familiarise yourself with the venue, see where everything is and that may help you a little with the anxiety over what it's going to be like.

Friday: A stroll in the park.

Saturday: Controlled madness.

Sunday: A mix of Friday and Saturday.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Raylenth said:

That is the best news! I booked my photos for the Friday so that if I get too overwhelmed I can have a few quiet moments and squee over my Battlestar pictures! I'm so glad you told me it was the quietest day, i'm not going to be so anxious now and that means a lot! If I do well i'm hoping to do the Saturday or Sunday as well, but the pressure is off knowing we picked the quieter day! yay! :)

I love that day breakdown, definitely helps with planning the best days! I think Saturday may be the day I would get too overwhelmed, a stroll in the park on Friday sounds like the best plan! :)

• Like 1

@CarkinsBug I went on the Saturday and it was super busy. There is not a lot of seating options etc. With the extra help wristband you'll be at the front of the queue for photo ops right after diamond passes. I think the longest I waited for a photo was around 10 minutes last time.

For autographs they've changed it this year that you need to get a virtual queue ticket but once your number has been called you will be pushed to the front, or near to the front. Get the virtual queue ticket first thing or send your helper to do it. They are on the 1st floor and you need to collect them for each individual guest. 

ETA: Also when you arrive make yourself known to the showmasters crew so you do NOT have to join the regular queue. They let all the extra help people in a few minutes early. Also if you're worried about being by yourself and spot me (also on a crutch) say hi and I would be happy to wait with you for a few minutes.

Edited by EllaBlair
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CarkinsBug said:

That is the best news! I booked my photos for the Friday so that if I get too overwhelmed I can have a few quiet moments and squee over my Battlestar pictures! I'm so glad you told me it was the quietest day, i'm not going to be so anxious now and that means a lot! If I do well i'm hoping to do the Saturday or Sunday as well, but the pressure is off knowing we picked the quieter day! yay! :)

I love that day breakdown, definitely helps with planning the best days! I think Saturday may be the day I would get too overwhelmed, a stroll in the park on Friday sounds like the best plan! :)

Quiet is relative but yes Friday is much calmer in comparison.  It's good you have booked them for Friday then, you will be fresher and less stressed for your pictures as well.

The schedule is published here about a week or so before the event so you can see when your shoots will be, make sure to check it right up to the event as changes may occur if late guests are added or others cancel.  If you have any questions about your schedule you can ask in the thread when it's up and we can advise you in which order to do things if you are unsure.

Basic maps are usually published as well so you can see where the queuing hall is, which hall the guests will be in, where the photo booths are ect.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EllaBlair said:

@CarkinsBug I went on the Saturday and it was super busy. There is not a lot of seating options etc. With the extra help wristband you'll be at the front of the queue for photo ops right after diamond passes. I think the longest I waited for a photo was around 10 minutes last time.

For autographs they've changed it this year that you need to get a virtual queue ticket but once your number has been called you will be pushed to the front, or near to the front. Get the virtual queue ticket first thing or send your helper to do it. They are on the 1st floor and you need to collect them for each individual guest. 

Ahh brilliant info, thank you so much! This helps a lot with planning my day, especially getting the virtual queue tickets! A lot of weight of my mind, thank you lovely! Love your picture, Mark Sheppard is awesome i'm so jealous! 

3 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Quiet is relative but yes Friday is much calmer in comparison.  It's good you have booked them for Friday then, you will be fresher and less stressed for your pictures as well.

The schedule is published here about a week or so before the event so you can see when your shoots will be, make sure to check it right up to the event as changes may occur if late guests are added or others cancel.  If you have any questions about your schedule you can ask in the thread when it's up and we can advise you in which order to do things if you are unsure.

Basic maps are usually published as well so you can see where the queuing hall is, which hall the guests will be in, where the photo booths are ect.

Now this is amazing advice, thank you sooooo much! I'm gonna be super prepared for my outing, thank you, really does put a lot of my worry to rest! You're awesome! You guys are all so friendly and helpful I love it! 

4 minutes ago, CarkinsBug said:

Ahh brilliant info, thank you so much! This helps a lot with planning my day, especially getting the virtual queue tickets! A lot of weight of my mind, thank you lovely! Love your picture, Mark Sheppard is awesome i'm so jealous! 

He's so lovely in person :wub:. We got to talk to him for a little bit because he was quiet. He talked about my city because he used to work here and everything and told the guy writing down everyones name off because he spelled mine wrong (my real name isn't Ella the person wasn't that stupid). And then he remembered us when we went for the photos.

• Like 2

There's always someone around who will answer questions if you have any more Carkins so don't be afraid to ask away.  There is an FAQ on the website and pages for how the auto's/photo shoots work so I'd recommend having a read if you haven't, and if anything isn't clear please do ask for clarification.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CarkinsBug said:

I'm on the extra help bandwagon too and have attended a number of SM events now. What everyone above has said is correct, and if you have any more questions you need answers to there are more than enough of us on here or on the day for you to bump into! 

I'm also going for the Galactica cast, so I'll probably see you in the queues!

3 hours ago, robmoriarty said:

I'm on the extra help bandwagon too and have attended a number of SM events now. What everyone above has said is correct, and if you have any more questions you need answers to there are more than enough of us on here or on the day for you to bump into! 

I'm also going for the Galactica cast, so I'll probably see you in the queues!

Thank you so much! Looking forward to seeing you there! You guys really are the best :)

• Like 2

For the Diamond pass, an exclusive print is included, I assume this is a photo, what size it this please and could the Star sign this print instead of a photo on the table? also, when do we collect this exclusive print, when we collect the lanyard?

Could I collect the lanyard / DP on Saturday evening ready for Sunday morning to save time - if so where from please?