New Attendees advice thread

Raylenth

38 minutes ago, clairefun said:

I'm finally letting him see The Walking Dead this year so there's a big block of potential guests there that will mean more to him now - though its a shame we met David Morrissey together last year!

So he met David Morrissey before watching TWD? I wonder if that will affect his perception of the story. The contrast between David's niceness and the Governor's cruelty is so big!

16 minutes ago, MarioVl said:

So he met David Morrissey before watching TWD? I wonder if that will affect his perception of the story. The contrast between David's niceness and the Governor's cruelty is so big!

He knew him from that Christmas Doctor Who episode too, so it might take him a little while to shake that, and the Governor takes a little while to come across as proper bad, so it'll be interesting to see - we're just about to encounter him in our next episode. He did also meet Jon Bernthal when he was quite small and thought Shane was brilliant when he's finally been allowed to see it - don't think he agreed with all those people saying Shane was going about things the wrong way! Do we think I've scarred my child for life by introducing him to too many nice people who turn out to play bad guys??!? :lol:

ETA: Now I think about it, he's been a fan of John Barrowman for years thanks to Doctor Who, and met him a few years back, but has totally embraced his role in Arrow. He likes him, but I'm fairly sure it's in the way you do like the bad guys sometimes especially when they're clearly relishing their roles...

Edited by clairefun
another thought
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, clairefun said:

He knew him from that Christmas Doctor Who episode too, so it might take him a little while to shake that, and the Governor takes a little while to come across as proper bad, so it'll be interesting to see - we're just about to encounter him in our next episode. He did also meet Jon Bernthal when he was quite small and thought Shane was brilliant when he's finally been allowed to see it - don't think he agreed with all those people saying Shane was going about things the wrong way! Do we think I've scarred my child for life by introducing him to too many nice people who turn out to play bad guys??!? :lol:

ETA: Now I think about it, he's been a fan of John Barrowman for years thanks to Doctor Who, and met him a few years back, but has totally embraced his role in Arrow. He likes him, but I'm fairly sure it's in the way you do like the bad guys sometimes especially when they're clearly relishing their roles...

Hmm, good point about the Governor not seeming so evil at first. I knew him from the comics, so right from the start I read menace in everything he did. :D

My impression of Jon Bernthal wasn't of the nicest guy in the world, exactly - but he does exude coolness. A brilliant choice for both Shane and Frank Castle.

I met John Barrowman in 2013, around when his character in Arrow was revealed. It is a bit of an adjustment indeed. I probably wouldn't find Malcolm Merlyn as cool as I do, if I didn't know John to be so awesome :) And hey, some bad guys are very likeable, or at least you like to hate them!

Edited by MarioVl
  • Like 1

I currently have the following plans for the Sunday:

peter capaldi photo (batch 3)

pearl mackie photo (batch 1)

david Bradley photo (batch 1)

chris eccleston photo (batch 2)

peter capaldi diamond talk

Will any of these clash as I’m beginning to worry that I have too much planned 

4 minutes ago, Alexfenn11 said:

I currently have the following plans for the Sunday:

peter capaldi photo (batch 3)

pearl mackie photo (batch 1)

david Bradley photo (batch 1)

chris eccleston photo (batch 2)

peter capaldi diamond talk

Will any of these clash as I’m beginning to worry that I have too much planned 

We'll not know till the schedule is released about a week to 10 days before the con, Alex. If you have any queries about any potential overlaps (sounds better than clashes ;)) then by all means ask on here. :smile:

I would feel relatively confident that they will try not to schedule the Who shoots at the same time as they will be aware people getting one may be getting others or if they have to there will be sufficient time to go between them.

But as Mr LEming said check the schedule and ask here if in doubt.

Edited by Raylenth

Thank you, that helps a lot!  I hope that i don't have to pay for him to queue with me for an autograph!  They're so expensive for Ian and Paul!!  

I've got him a ticket for the talk cause he will be coming in with that and properly experiencing it, rather than the photo, he's not muscling in on my time with my fave vampires!!!  

When i have my photo taken, can i give my son my camera and him take a few pics?  Is that allowed?  also when i have the pic done will i get an electronic copy of it too?

I'm not sure that there will be many people there who my son will know, apart from the Harry Potter actors, i'm hoping more will be added that he does know!

Edited by T2ggergal
didn't know how to add the quoted reply in, so i've put it below this one!

21 hours ago, clairefun said:

My boy has been coming with me since pushchair days, he's now 13 and taller than I am. When I collect my VQ tickets I always just ask - he's queuing up with me, does he need a ticket too? Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't, but it's usually the same person at the queue when my / our number(s) come up so at least it's how they think it should be.

With photo shoots I've always been able to bring him into the area with me then basically park him by the exit (but not in the way) and collect him again on the way out - as if he's a bag! - every photo I've had, I've asked the queue staff and they've suggested that every time. This year I might leave him outside for the first time as he's 13 and will stand still as long as he can stare gormlessly at his phone.

Talks - if I buy him a ticket too, we queue together. If I don't, well then I've missed the talks. He cant come in without a ticket and I can't leave him alone there for that long.

As he's aged up he's become much more useful with holding bags and taking photos as I meet guests he doesn't know! (I do try to show him a least a little bit of that actors roles, but with some of them - Game of Thrones etc - it's difficult as it's so not suitable. I'm finally letting him see The Walking Dead this year so there's a big block of potential guests there that will mean more to him now - though its a shame we met David Morrissey together last year! It's been really fun bringing him along to meet the guests HE wants to meet though - assorted Doctors, Star Wars, Stargate guests etc - and he gets to show off to all his school friends, which is nice for him! :D

5 minutes ago, T2ggergal said:

When i have my photo taken, can i give my son my camera and him take a few pics?  Is that allowed?  also when i have the pic done will i get an electronic copy of it too?

No cameras or phones are allowed out during the photoshoot sessions I'm afraid. You can buy the digital version a couple of weeks after the con for a fiver.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, T2ggergal said:

Thank you, that helps a lot!  I hope that i don't have to pay for him to queue with me for an autograph!  They're so expensive for Ian and Paul!!  

I've got him a ticket for the talk cause he will be coming in with that and properly experiencing it, rather than the photo, he's not muscling in on my time with my fave vampires!!!  

I'm not sure that there will be many people there who my son will know, apart from the Harry Potter actors, i'm hoping more will be added that he does know!

You won't have to pay for him to queue with you, you only pay per auto, so don't worry :)

Your photo will literally only be a few seconds and because of that, no, he won't be allowed to take pics. You don't get a digital copy, but they are made available a short while after for £4.99 if you do want to pick one up. It feels a bit like a factory assembly line, but it's a lovely experience nevertheless and the photos are worth it :) 

8 minutes ago, T2ggergal said:

• Like 1

Wow, you literally pay for everything!  I would have thought a digital copy would have been included in the price!  Can you go to the loo for free?? ;)

Thanks for your replies, glad he'll be able to queue with me without having to pay 

Just now, T2ggergal said:

Wow, you literally pay for everything!  I would have thought a digital copy would have been included in the price!  Can you go to the loo for free?? ;)

Thanks for your replies, glad he'll be able to queue with me without having to pay 

You can.

It costs the organsier to offer digital photo's, they have to pay the photographer for them and they have to pay to host them on the digital photo website.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

You can.

It costs the organsier to offer digital photo's, they have to pay the photographer for them and they have to pay to host them on the digital photo website.

That makes sense.  I don't mind paying a fiver for it! 

2 minutes ago, natedammit said:

Any convention that claims to give you a digital copy for free is a liar. They include it in the ticket price so you are paying for it whether you download it or not.

Indeed, it's all included. I don't really believe in 'it's for free' :lol:

8 minutes ago, wjbleming said:

IIRC, you find out your Diamond Pass number only when you're collecting your Pass, don't you?

Also, is it by purchase order or collection order? Head like a sieve and can't remember.

Purchase order and yes u get your number when u collect

• Thanks 1

Oh, by the way, if there is no Christopher Eccleston Print in the DP description, does it mean that one will not be included this time?

If so, that's quite sad, I love those prints much better than cups. (Just saying how I feel, not complaining at all).