New Attendees advice thread

Raylenth

1 minute ago, **Kelsey** said:

I`m just wondering can we swap photo ops around with another person?  Do have to change it to that person name as well?

Also Are we aloud to go outside get something to eat ( There is Pizza place on corner ) & come back in again?

The second question: Yes, but make sure your hand gets a stamp when you leave to eat.

18 minutes ago, malty said:

Attending LFCC for the first time by myself this year, I've previously done Massive Events and Collectormanias in the past but being deaf, I find it very hard to hear what's being shouted out in the queues. Is this still the same process here? How can I go about getting help with this please. 

Thanks.

Read this page: http://www.londonfilmandcomiccon.com/index.php/accessibility

Edited by VikingGrrrl

25 minutes ago, **Kelsey** said:

I`m just wondering can we swap photo ops around with another person?  Do have to change it to that person name as well?

No, tickets are all non transferable and non refundable I'm afraid Kelsey.

27 minutes ago, malty said:

Attending LFCC for the first time by myself this year, I've previously done Massive Events and Collectormanias in the past but being deaf, I find it very hard to hear what's being shouted out in the queues. Is this still the same process here? How can I go about getting help with this please. 

Thanks.

Hi Malty, yes, it's the same format but on a much bigger scale.  The best thing to do is to apply for accessibility access https://www.londonfilmandcomiccon.com/index.php/accessibility or bring someone with you to help if you can.  Alternatively, if it's acceptable to you the only other thing I can think of is to make sure you find the crew member running the queue in question and maybe have something printed up in bold clear to read type that tells them you can't hear what they are saying and need to be specifically informed when it is your turn.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, malty said:

Thanks.

I know sign language and once helped a deaf person with the 2016 Spring LFCC queue.

I’d be happy to help where possible (i.e. same autograph/photoshoot queue).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sebster118 said:

I know sign language and once helped a deaf person with the 2016 Spring LFCC queue.

I’d be happy to help where possible (i.e. same autograph/photoshoot queue).

I'd offer to help, too, but I know American Sign Language, so probably not what you're looking for. 

Last year (my first LFCC), I had hoped that, in addition to shouting the numbers for the VQ and photos, there'd be some sort of signage (white board, TV screen, ... heck, a constantly updating LFCC app would be amazing), but no luck.  I assume those things are cost-prohibitive (or dependent on better wifi).  I mean, I'm hearing, but still missed a bunch of the announcements, and was constantly asking people, "which group are they on?"  On the plus side, everyone seemed pretty friendly and willing to fill in a stranger on whatever I'd missed.

Just now, Chris1970 said:

A Showmaster/LFCC app would be amazing, with info about photo ops, talks, autos (VQ ticket and DP info) Changes, cancels and late additions. Maps and other useful information.

I did mention this in my feedback last year. Working in the app/web industry as I do however, the cost is prohibitively expensive to invest in unless you can somehow hammer an off the shelf package to fit your needs which might not work quite as well as you want it to.

10 minutes ago, Pir8Jenny said:

I'd offer to help, too, but I know American Sign Language, so probably not what you're looking for. 

Last year (my first LFCC), I had hoped that, in addition to shouting the numbers for the VQ and photos, there'd be some sort of signage (white board, TV screen, ... heck, a constantly updating LFCC app would be amazing), but no luck.  I assume those things are cost-prohibitive (or dependent on better wifi).  I mean, I'm hearing, but still missed a bunch of the announcements, and was constantly asking people, "which group are they on?"  On the plus side, everyone seemed pretty friendly and willing to fill in a stranger on whatever I'd missed.

Would be interested to know from mods or organisers, has sign language ever been offered as a support option during main stage talks at any SM events? Starting to see it more often these days as I go around different events.

1 minute ago, R4wly97 said:

@Chris1970 Sorry I know this is completely random but how did you put all that stuff at the bottom about who you’ve met and who you’re meeting this year? I would like to put it on mine? :D

Click on your name at the top of the page, account settings, then signature on the left hand side.

4 minutes ago, R4wly97 said:

@Chris1970 Sorry I know this is completely random but how did you put all that stuff at the bottom about who you’ve met and who you’re meeting this year? I would like to put it on mine? :D

Account->Account Settings->Signature. 

I played around with tabs, colours and fonts. ^_^

But I only see it on my computer or ipad, not my iphone. 

Edited by Chris1970

18 minutes ago, Pir8Jenny said:

Oh, I thought there’d be some sort of signs with the Pass/VQ numbers held at signing and photo-op booths so you can just check them out every now and then and not hang around the area/ask the staff at all times, is that not the case? I read about it somewhere, but maybe that’s just what they the plan to do and then things get in the way when it gets too chaotic? Or is the “usual policy” to just shout out the numbers, and everything else is extra?

Since this year will be my first LFCC I’d rather know and be prepared to what awaits me, so I don’t feel too lost on the day...

2 minutes ago, Nerd Who said:

Oh, I thought there’d be some sort of signs with the Pass/VQ numbers held at signing and photo-op booths so you can just check them out every now and then and not hang around the area/ask the staff at all times, is that not the case? I read about it somewhere, but maybe that’s just what they the plan to do and then things get in the way when it gets too chaotic? Or is the “usual policy” to just shout out the numbers, and everything else is extra?

Since this year will be my first LFCC I’d rather know and be prepared to what awaits me, so I don’t feel too lost on the day...

Sometimes they did, sometimes not - usually hand written if they are.

• Thanks 1

I had REALLY expected signs (ideally, large ones) for the super-crowded things, like the Cumberbatch photo shoot.  Instead, it was a dude with a megaphone.  He was announcing things like how much time it will be until the later groups get called (so to not wait around and instead go wander the con floor), but not everyone could understand what he was saying.

(I found, "pardon me, did you make that out?" to be a great conversation-starter.)

• Thanks 1