New Attendees advice thread

Raylenth

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Oddballcron said:

This probably been answered many many times .. Was at Con last year but didn't get any Diamond passes ... this year have .. Do I have to pick the pass etc up first somewhere on the day?

There is a diamond pass pickup desk from which you can collect your passes on entry to the show.

• Thanks 1

I have a question even though I attended last year. Last year it was just me and my sister but this year both sisters are attending so there will be 3 of us. We're all huge Doctor Who fans so I've bought a joint Peter and Pearl photo and my younger sister is going to buy a Peter diamond pass. When it comes to her getting the autograph for Peter is it ok for all 3 of us to go to the desk at the same time so we can guarantee we all meet him? We would probably be taking advantage of being able to buy the extra autographs that come with the diamond pass at this time too.

I’m sure others will give a definite answer but I think the answer’s No and you would need a VQ ticket.

For non-Diamond VQ ticket guests, if you want to accompany someone to carry bags/take photos, and you don’t want an autograph yourself, you would still need a VQ ticket.

12 minutes ago, EllaBlair said:

When it comes to her getting the autograph for Peter is it ok for all 3 of us to go to the desk at the same time so we can guarantee we all meet him? We would probably be taking advantage of being able to buy the extra autographs that come with the diamond pass at this time too.

No.  Each person in the queue needs to have their own ticket, whether that be a diamond pass or a VQ ticket.  If you want to go up with her you will need a VQ ticket and if you want to go up together you can only join the queue once the person with the highest number has been called.  That means you have to wait until whoever has the highest VQ has been called to join it which is obviously a risk as there is no guarantee he will reach VQ's or if he does that your number will be called I'm afraid.

If they allow people to go up with ticket holders the queue would be massive and completely nullifies the ticket system and the priority access for pass holders. 

The opportunity to buy extra auto's doesn't mean you can take other people up to get them I'm afraid, and just so you are aware the Diamond pass only gives you access the 1 time, so if you want extra auto's you need to get them when you go up the first time as if you want to join the queue again once you have been through, you would need a VQ ticket and to wait until it's called.

Edited by Raylenth

Sorry Ella you didn't mention that before, it's different if you have disabled access as then the usual rules for disabled access apply. 

However if one of you has a carers pass rather than both having disabled bands, they are not supposed to use it to get auto's for themselves I'm afraid.  

https://www.londonfilmandcomiccon.com/index.php/accessibility

Edited by Raylenth

2 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Sorry Ella you didn't mention that before, it's different if you have a carers pass as then the usual rules for disabled access apply.  However a carers pass is just supposed to be for them to help you, they are not supposed to use it to get auto's for themselves I'm afraid.  

https://www.londonfilmandcomiccon.com/index.php/accessibility

My sister last year didn't use a carers pass she bought her own ticket into the event and all of her own photo shoots and autos. They gave her a wristband also because she was with me and I presented my blue badge. We also have individual tickets this year.

I've just read the page and it says this about the auto's:

Autograph lines – In most cases we operate a Virtual Queuing system for busy guests. This means that you do not need to queue for long periods. You (or your carer) collect a numbered ticket at the beginning of the day in the signing area and return any time after that number has been called. As an attendee identified as requiring extra help due to being unable to stand for long periods, once your VQ ticket has been called you will be put towards the front of the queue to reduce your actual queueing time. As a rough guide your actual queuing time should be no more than 10 minutes.

So it means you all still need a VQ or Diamond pass and just that when you have been called they will help you through so you don't have to stand.  

The mods may be able to help clarify this or one of the attendees who uses this system.  @robmoriarty sorry to tag you but can you offer any insight into this?

Edited by Raylenth

4 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

I've just read the page and it says this about the auto's:

Autograph lines – In most cases we operate a Virtual Queuing system for busy guests. This means that you do not need to queue for long periods. You (or your carer) collect a numbered ticket at the beginning of the day in the signing area and return any time after that number has been called. As an attendee identified as requiring extra help due to being unable to stand for long periods, once your VQ ticket has been called you will be put towards the front of the queue to reduce your actual queueing time. As a rough guide your actual queuing time should be no more than 10 minutes.

So it means you all still need a VQ or Diamond pass and just that when you have been called they will help you through so you don't have to stand.  

Last year we didn't have to get virtual queue tickets! So they've changed that this year. Thanks for the link to that page though, they didn't have that up last year and I had to email them for information :lol:

• Like 1

Just now, EllaBlair said:

Last year we didn't have to get virtual queue tickets! So they've changed that this year. Thanks for the link to that page though, they didn't have that up last year and I had to email them for information :lol:

That's what I thought as well which I why I think we need clarification on it.  @Queen_Sindel

1 minute ago, Raylenth said:

That's what I thought as well which I why I think we need clarification on it.  @Queen_Sindel

I don't mind if they've changed it to needing VQ tickets. It was handy last year but most of the ones I ended up seeing they didn't have big queues by the time we got to them. I think we used the wristbands to go to the front of the queue... twice? For Pilou Asbeak and Dan Fogler I think.

Just now, R4wly97 said:

@Raylenth How does it work if you’ve got a diamond pass and want to use the diamond pass option to buy an extra autograph?

You just buy all the auto's you want up to the allowed limit at the same time R.  I'm going to have to call you than now, your handle is hard to type easily! :P

1 minute ago, EllaBlair said:

I don't mind if they've changed it to needing VQ tickets. It was handy last year but most of the ones I ended up seeing they didn't have big queues by the time we got to them. I think we used the wristbands to go to the front of the queue... twice? For Pilou Asbeak and Dan Fogler I think.

It's different if it's an open queue where you don't need VQ's or if it's later in the day for a big guest and they are quiet.  If there's few other people queuing then the crew may allow it but the general rule for the big names during most of the day whilst they are busy is that everyone needs a ticket to enter the queue.

@Raylenth That’s okay :D

Sorry I’m confused I feel like I’ve got the wrong impression over the diamond pass activities, the diamond pass gives you a guaranteed autograph and photo op with the guest so when I go and collect my passes am I given tickets for the autograph and photo op when I get there?

8 minutes ago, R4wly97 said:

Sorry I’m confused I feel like I’ve got the wrong impression over the diamond pass activities, the diamond pass gives you a guaranteed autograph and photo op with the guest so when I go and collect my passes am I given tickets for the autograph and photo op when I get there?

For all previous years, you have been given the pass itself, which has a little icon printed on it for each thing you get (autograph, photo, mug etc). This icon is then hole punched as you redeem the perk, to prevent you from redeeming it twice.

Edited by tenaciouspirit

10 minutes ago, R4wly97 said:

On the DP a number is printed which is the number you are given to get an auto. Example: IF you have 65.. Then the first batch thst is called is 1-30, the next batch that is called is 1-60 and the third thst is called is 1-90.. Then can you queue up and get your auto. Anytime after your number is called. Not before. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tenaciouspirit said:

Yeah, you obviously need to produce a copy of your diamond pass ticket (what you recieved when you ordered it) to get the pass its self. But after that, the little plastic pass is your ticket to all things Peter Capaldi! 

I would still keep your printout or eticket version for your photo op, last year for my diamond pass photo ops they still wanted to scan the barcode thingy which is on the ticket and not on your plastic diamond pass card.

25 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

It's different if it's an open queue where you don't need VQ's or if it's later in the day for a big guest and they are quiet.  If there's few other people queuing then the crew may allow it but the general rule for the big names during most of the day whilst they are busy is that everyone needs a ticket to enter the queue.

One last question! You've been super helpful. If I have a diamond pass for Jason (and some others I'm planning to buy) and go to get my autograph with the extra help wristband do I have to wait until after my diamond number has been called? Maybe I'm being blind but I can't see it on the extra help page.