New Attendees advice thread

Raylenth

2 minutes ago, VikingGrrrl said:

Something I do for the guests I want autographs: after the schedule is released and as close to the con as possible (to avoid changes in the schedule), write down when the guest is busy with other things (photo, talk) so you know when the guest should be at the table signing. I have found writing down this very useful when you want a lot of autographs and also have photo/talks that take up your time. For busy guests they cut off the line a while before their next activity. And factor in that they have an hour lunch break around 12-13 and other breaks when they need them. Note that less busy guests will leave before the end of the event if no one is seeing them.

I endorse this advice. There's nothing worse than thinking you've got a nice spare couple of hours to get a few autographs and then it turning out the people you want are away from their desks. I mean, there are things worse than that, but it's still annoying.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, VikingGrrrl said:

Trying to come up with some advice that haven't been mentioned... 

Drinking water has been mentioned, but also remember to eat! :)

Something I do for the guests I want autographs: after the schedule is released and as close to the con as possible (to avoid changes in the schedule), write down when the guest is busy with other things (photo, talk) so you know when the guest should be at the table signing. I have found writing down this very useful when you want a lot of autographs and also have photo/talks that take up your time. For busy guests they cut off the line a while before their next activity. And factor in that they have an hour lunch break around 12-13 and other breaks when they need them. Note that less busy guests will leave before the end of the event if no one is seeing them.

Now, did someone mention bringing food? Well yes please, I get very hungry trotting around the venue. If you bring food make sure its Camel friendly and you have plenty for me.... ;) Camels love Wine gums. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, natedammit said:

I endorse this advice. There's nothing worse than thinking you've got a nice spare couple of hours to get a few autographs and then it turning out the people you want are away from their desks. I mean, there are things worse than that, but it's still annoying.

Yes, this is great advice.

30 minutes ago, Chris1970 said:

A pizza place, cant remember the name. Ok price, but I am not the one to ask. I am used to swedish prices. :lol:

Had to queue for an hour there last year. They were okay, but definitely not worth that wait.

As Rob said, the queues are horrendous and it's expensive in Pizza Express.  There is a small café on the first floor and the food was OK but it does get very busy.  IT's best to bring your own if you can

1 minute ago, R4wly97 said:

I’m really hoping the weather is nice over the 3 days but with the great British weather I have no expectations of it being sunny!

Oh no, you don't want it to be too nice. The Olympia can get very hot. Then the smell really gets going.

2 minutes ago, R4wly97 said:

@natedammit Ah okay I did wonder how hot it will be because it’s a glass roof isn’t it? :lol:

BBQ/Sauna... :lol: Maybe not that bad but it will be hot. Water is gold dust there. Bring it. And dress for it too, unless you plan to cosplay. A Wookie suit must be the ultimate. :blink: