New Attendees advice thread

Raylenth

5 minutes ago, LisaCarter2016 said:

Whats the best time to start queuing for photo ops for standard entry tickets?

Depends on the length of the photoshoot, Lisa. For the smaller shoots, about 5 minutes before your batch is to be called. For the longer ones, about 10 minutes before your batch is called. (Hope I got that right this time, got told off by QS for getting it incorrect last time. :lol:)

Edited by wjbleming

Just now, wjbleming said:

Depends on the length of the photoshoot, Lisa. For the smaller shoots, about 5 minutes before your batch is to be called. For the longer ones, about 10 minutes before your batch is called. (Hope I got that right this time, got told off by QS for getting it incorrect last time. :lol:)

Thank you, I'm a lfcc newbie so this thread is essential 

29 minutes ago, wjbleming said:

You're gonna get told off again.

8 hours ago, Raylenth said:

You get the amount included in your pass which is usually 1 auto and 1 photo but you can buy as many more photo's as you want and can afford.  If you buy more you just give the print outs to the crew when you are queuing so they know how many you have and you can have them done all at the same time.

Just checking - I have the Peter Capaldi Diamond Pass and I also bought an additional photo with Peter on a different day (I’ve selected Saturday for the Diamond Pass included photo, then bought another one for Sunday) because since I’m there both days anyway I’d like to have my pictures in two different outfits, and also meet him in person a little longer both days.

Can I take the photos on different days as planned, is that all right? Taking multiple photos at the same time is just an option, not compulsory, right?

7 hours ago, Raylenth said:

You can have a look at the Pre Order service for an idea of the kind of images they have, baring in mind that's not a guarantee that they will have those exact images on the desk, or the entire range, they may have more on the desk or vice versa - they usually do, but it's never 100%

7 hours ago, R4wly97 said:

@Raylenth  I have a feeling I’m going to have a hard time choosing because I love those pictures as well!

The Capaldi pictures on the Pre Order website are all sooo cool, I hope they have them on the desk! :o My favourite is the sunglasses one B) but it’s a little too dark, I usually choose pictures with a lighter background (like the Big Ben ones) so they can be signed with a black/blue pen... I’m really wary of silver and gold sharpies and their durability, its probably just a myth but I guess I’m not the only one :unsure:

And hopefully they’ll have more pictures with a light background on the day so we get even more choice for our autos! :D

@Nerd Who I hope those pictures are available as well, my favourite is image D on the pre-order page although I’ve got a print of my profile picture which I might have signed but I haven’t decided yet! I don’t mind what pen Peter signs my autograph with, it will be such a privilege to me to be in the same room as him! :rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, R4wly97 said:

@Nerd Who I hope those pictures are available as well, my favourite is image D on the pre-order page although I’ve got a print of my profile picture which I might have signed but I haven’t decided yet! I don’t mind what pen Peter signs my autograph with, it will be such a privilege to me to be in the same room as him! :rolleyes:

That whole photo shoot of Peter is priceless, its hard to choose the best pic, although I’m biased for the shush finger photo - I’m sure you know which one I’m referring to ;)

I tend to go for light background pictures for my autographs, it’s a quirk of mine and it makes me feel less stressed about how to keep them in good quality especially on the day, since a couple of silver/gold signatures smeared in my bag in the past. But I agree the best part is meeting him in person and have the chance to say a few words :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nerd Who said:

Just checking - I have the Peter Capaldi Diamond Pass and I also bought an additional photo with Peter on a different day (I’ve selected Saturday for the Diamond Pass included photo, then bought another one for Sunday) because since I’m there both days anyway I’d like to have my pictures in two different outfits, and also meet him in person a little longer both days.

Can I take the photos on different days as planned, is that all right? Taking multiple photos at the same time is just an option, not compulsory, right?

You have to have them on the days specified Nerd.  When I said about having multiple ones together I neglected to clarify that you can do that when you have bought them for the same day. So yes, as you picked Saturday for your diamond and Sunday for your extra you have them done separately on those days

2 hours ago, LisaCarter2016 said:

Thank you, I'm a lfcc newbie so this thread is essential 

That's OK Lisa, ask any questions you have.

Mr Leming is near enough correct with his timings, I'd say it's not necessary to be there  a whole 10 minutes before for big shoots, like with the auto's you can join the line any time after your batch is called so if you aren't there dead on you just speak to the crew and they will slot you in - note that you have to be there whilst the session is still on of course.  You might say 'well d'uh' but a surprising number of people think they will bring the guest back to the booth for them if they miss their session  -   the only disclaimer is if you are very near the end of the shoot session to make sure you aren't late, 10 minutes would be fine.

Don't stress over the shoots and timings at the moment. The best thing to do is wait until the schedule is announced, have a look at it and find your sessions then if you have any questions ask them in the schedule thread and we can advise you.  The mods and a few of us oldies are usually around for that specific purpose when it goes live.  All we ask, and I know it's for a while away and people may not remember, is when you ask a schedule question, tell us what day you are asking about, who the shoots are with, what batches you have (in the case of overlaps) and if you have any priority tickets like Gold of a Diamond pass for that guest.  It really does help if people give that info!

• Thanks 1

@Nerd Who Yeah I do, that would be an awesome pose to do! Yeah I’m making sure to bring some sort of wallet or case for my autograph and photo shoot print when I’ve got them^_^ I’m no sure what I am going to say to him, I’m not very good at meeting celebrities I get so nervous!:unsure:

1 hour ago, Nerd Who said:

I’m really wary of silver and gold sharpies and their durability, its probably just a myth but I guess I’m not the only one :unsure:

In yea bad old days when dinosaurs roamed through the halls of LFCC the silver in particular was a bit dodgy and certainly required a little longer drying time - i have 1 cast signed item that was ruined by putting it back in the cellophane wrapper too soon :(

However these days they are fine.  I would always suggest people not putting items away immediately anyway, especially if it's a rolled poster, just to be absolutely super safe, but it's usually fine.  If you are getting the 8x10's signed it's a good idea to have a rigid protective case like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000KN6HD6/?coliid=I3TKY4XO4IDHZ5&colid=DW4A1VFM63YD&psc=1 to put them in (you don't want to get them bent if they are in a bag) so if you put the 8x10 in it face up as you are leaving the desk, just carry it at a slight angle for a minute or 2 so the sig isn't touching the case and it'll be fine.

Edited by Raylenth

3 minutes ago, R4wly97 said:

@Raylenth Just went on the link you posted and those cases look ideal I might get one!

I highly recommend it, that kind of folder is ideal as they aren't too big and are very sturdy.  It's good for your 8x10's and photo shoot prints.  There are some plastic semi rigid wallets sold by vendors at the event, they have a slot opening at the top but they are not good to use, at least with this case you can safely put your auto's in there with no fear of them being damaged.  For long term storage you need to get something that is acid free and ideally archival quality.  There are lots of options around for that though.

Inches or cm?  I presume inches but just checking.  If it's inches then it's A3.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Handle-Clipboard-Transparent-Storage-Document/dp/B00IEDEMUY/ref=sr_1_1?s=officeproduct&ie=UTF8&qid=1520025443&sr=1-1&keywords=Tiger+A3+Slim+Tuff+Box&dpID=51f3dNvn-sL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

That should fit but the measurements are very slightly different.  You could buy it and see if it's big enough and if not send it back and we might be able to help with finding something different but most posters are standard A4/A3 sizes usually.

Edited by Raylenth

2 hours ago, Raylenth said:

In yea bad old days when dinosaurs roamed through the halls of LFCC the silver in particular was a bit dodgy and certainly required a little longer drying time - i have 1 cast signed item that was ruined by putting it back in the cellophane wrapper too soon :(

However these days they are fine.  I would always suggest people not putting items away immediately anyway, especially if it's a rolled poster, just to be absolutely super safe, but it's usually fine.  If you are getting the 8x10's signed it's a good idea to have a rigid protective case like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000KN6HD6/?coliid=I3TKY4XO4IDHZ5&colid=DW4A1VFM63YD&psc=1 to put them in (you don't want to get them bent if they are in a bag) so if you put the 8x10 in it face up as you are leaving the desk, just carry it at a slight angle for a minute or 2 so the sig isn't touching the case and it'll be fine.

That’s reassuring to hear because I do admit oftentimes I’ve avoided picking the picture I liked the most from the table only because it was too dark to allow a black/blue signature, so if nowadays silver/gold is a safe possibility I have more choices ^_^

I’ve always heard opposing opinions on silver/gold sharpies so I could never tell if they were actually problematic or it was just me. I had a bad experience with a couple of smeared silver autos from like 5 years ago or so, they’re not completely ruined but it’s still frustrating. I always put my signed pictures directly in a rigid display book so they are safe inside my bag and don’t get bent as you said (that’s what I meant, I wouldn’t put them straight in the bag with no protection, omg the very though gives me shivers :o) But that time I probably put the autos in the plastic sleeves a little too soon and they got stuck to the sleeve :( I thought I had waited long enough but apparently it wasn’t, so I’ve tried to avoid those sharpie colours since because I couldn’t always tell if they were actually dry or not...

As I said I usually use display books & sleeves to keep my autos safe at events, but the plastic box you linked seems a way better solution actually! That way the signature doesn’t touch the plastic sleeve too soon and has more room to dry. It would probably take up more space in my bag than a display book, but I’ll definitely consider this option. I’ll try to find a similar case at some local shop here so I can have a proper look at it in person before choosing, but it’s a brilliant advice, thank you very much! :D

Edited by Nerd Who

10 hours ago, Nerd Who said:

That’s reassuring to hear because I do admit oftentimes I’ve avoided picking the picture I liked the most from the table only because it was too dark to allow a black/blue signature, so if nowadays silver/gold is a safe possibility I have more choices ^_^

I’ve always heard opposing opinions on silver/gold sharpies so I could never tell if they were actually problematic or it was just me. I had a bad experience with a couple of smeared silver autos from like 5 years ago or so, they’re not completely ruined but it’s still frustrating. I always put my signed pictures directly in a rigid display book so they are safe inside my bag and don’t get bent as you said (that’s what I meant, I wouldn’t put them straight in the bag with no protection, omg the very though gives me shivers :o) But that time I probably put the autos in the plastic sleeves a little too soon and they got stuck to the sleeve :( I thought I had waited long enough but apparently it wasn’t, so I’ve tried to avoid those sharpie colours since because I couldn’t always tell if they were actually dry or not...

As I said I usually use display books & sleeves to keep my autos safe at events, but the plastic box you linked seems a way better solution actually! That way the signature doesn’t touch the plastic sleeve too soon and has more room to dry. It would probably take up more space in my bag than a display book, but I’ll definitely consider this option. I’ll try to find a similar case at some local shop here so I can have a proper look at it in person before choosing, but it’s a brilliant advice, thank you very much! :D

People may have issues occasionally as it's always possible for a pen to leak a bit more ink but in general they are fine with a bit of sensible care - so yeah, any colour I would always warn against putting straight away.  I would love to use paint pens as some of the colours they have and the way they come out on items looks amazing but all the paint pens I've bought have all splurted big globs of ink/paint out on the 8x10 I was testing them on so there's no way I'm going to risk using them.  But lots of people use them and they seem fine :D

There are some lovely pictures out there that look really striking when signed with silver/gold/bronze.

9 hours ago, R4wly97 said:

@Raylenth It’s 30x40 cm I think, it hasn’t come in the post yet but that’s the measurements it gave on the site I ordered it off.

That's definitely A3 then. 

• Like 1

@Raylenth Ok thanks I will probably get one of those cases then^_^

Since you are talking about pens this is probably a stupid question but do you have to take your own sharpies for them to sign with, or do people just take them if they want there item signed in a particular colour?

4 minutes ago, R4wly97 said:

Since you are talking about pens this is probably a stupid question but do you have to take your own sharpies for them to sign with, or do people just take them if they want there item signed in a particular colour?

The letter. Blue, black, silver and gold are normally available at all tables.

6 minutes ago, R4wly97 said:

They usually have black, silver and gold on the table but sometimes it's not always the case (It's 98% of the time they have them, but rarely they may only have black and silver for example).   So if you want a specific colour other than those it's best to take it with you and I usually take a back up as well - A couple of time the guest has accidentally kept the pen or once I lost one somewhere but because I had a back up I was fine.  

Typically I usually take a bronze and a gold and that's about it, but if you want different colours like the light blues. greens ect then you will need to take them.  I've never really needed to use my gold but I always over plan ;)

Edited by Raylenth