Latest Guest Announcement - PETER CAPALDI

showmasters

My hubby has just bought a photo with Peter for me and one for my 13 year old son :D I've been a fan of his years and years (since The Crow Road I think) and although my son only really knows him as The Doctor, he's one of our favourite doctors! I'm very excited!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

In a bit of a quandary with Capaldi.

Used to be mad on 'Old Who' when I was a kid, when it was not a 'cool' program to be a fan of. Then 'New Who' came along and I never really gelled with it, the most attention I gave to Tennant for a while and a bit of Matt Smith who I really didn't like and came to appreciate. Then I was really impressed when they cast Capaldi, someone much older and in the more traditional mould. Only seen maybe 4 episodes with him in and thought he is the best of the New Who doctors. A great actor in general too (fantastic in his Peep Show guest spot).

Anyway, I'm not a mad Who fan these days, but sort of feel I need him to sign me a Who pic. Do I face the scrum of VTs? Do I say sod it and go Diamond Pass? But then a general rule I have is that if I have to think about it too much then maybe I don't want them enough.

Part of me thinks I would prefer a photoshoot over an auto (something I have never done before). What to do, what to do...

10 minutes ago, Dent_1 said:

In a bit of a quandary with Capaldi.

Used to be mad on 'Old Who' when I was a kid, when it was not a 'cool' program to be a fan of. Then 'New Who' came along and I never really gelled with it, the most attention I gave to Tennant for a while and a bit of Matt Smith who I really didn't like and came to appreciate. Then I was really impressed when they cast Capaldi, someone much older and in the more traditional mould. Only seen maybe 4 episodes with him in and thought he is the best of the New Who doctors. A great actor in general too (fantastic in his Peep Show guest spot).

Anyway, I'm not a mad Who fan these days, but sort of feel I need him to sign me a Who pic. Do I face the scrum of VTs? Do I say sod it and go Diamond Pass? But then a general rule I have is that if I have to think about it too much then maybe I don't want them enough.

Part of me thinks I would prefer a photoshoot over an auto (something I have never done before). What to do, what to do...

All I'll say is that it's hard to judge with some guests how busy/quick they will be, especially when they haven't been before so we don't have anything to judge against.  

Peter is there for 2 days and he hasn't sold out of Diamonds yet.  Even if he did it's rare for a guest to not reach VQ's or not see a decent number of them.  It's often been noted that many Diamonds, even the bigger names often have open queue's at the end of the day.

So I don't think it's a terrible idea to try him on a VQ, especially if you can be there for the 2 days.  Of course you do have to factor in that they may add some group shots with all the other Who people being there but they may not take up too much time.

It is hard to judge though.  I could be wrong and he'll be flat out all day.

12 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

All I'll say is that it's hard to judge with some guests how busy/quick they will be, especially when they haven't been before so we don't have anything to judge against.  

But Peter is no stranger to events of this scale overseas, and seeing what people got signed recently via Facebook, we can see he likes to do lengthy (half page) quotes or drawings and dedications. So it might depend if Peter is able to sign what he wants to for each person.

Just now, TerraHawk said:

But Peter is no stranger to events of this scale overseas, and seeing what people got signed recently via Facebook, we can see he likes to do lengthy (half page) quotes or drawings and dedications. So it might depend if Peter is able to sign what he wants to for each person.

I hadn't seen any reports Terra, so with that it might be safe to assume he's going to be on the slow side.  I can see him being good with any children as well.

10 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Peter is there for 2 days and he hasn't sold out of Diamonds yet.  Even if he did it's rare for a guest to not reach VQ's or not see a decent number of them.  It's often been noted that many Diamonds, even the bigger names often have open queue's at the end of the day.

So I don't think it's a terrible idea to try him on a VQ, especially if you can be there for the 2 days.  Of course you do have to factor in that they may add some group shots with all the other Who people being there but they may not take up too much time.

It is hard to judge though.  I could be wrong and he'll be flat out all day.

Thanks. Sound advice.

When Sigourney was announced in 2015 it took me a nanosecond to decide on getting her Diamond Pass at nearly 400 smackeroos. So when I um and ah over those who cost much less, I question how much I really want them you know? Only other one I've ever bought was Famke Janssen. Even a few people got to see Sigourney on VTs, not many though, and she's about as big/busy as it gets.

I usually try for just one day, keep my outlay (travel costs etc.) to a minimum so even with a bit less opportunity I might take a punt and chance it. I'm a little less inclined to queue for many hours before opening these days as well and with how busy the shows are these days, and more photoshoots, its ever harder to get a VT that will be of use.

That said, I remember Gillian Anderson when she did LFCC: they said she got through about 1000 VTs, personalised for everyone and was open queue at the end of the day, so I have seen it happen as you describe.

Still, I try and get everyone as early as possible in the day. I hate the stress of not knowing whether I will or won't get them, and in my experience, meeting a guest earlier into the day, or at the start event (Fri/Sat) can result in better interactions and signatures you get.

6 minutes ago, TerraHawk said:

Good to know.

Where are we looking? Would be interested to see what he signs for people.

1 minute ago, Dent_1 said:

Good to know.

Where are we looking? Would be interested to see what he signs for people.

Well there's the Doctor Who Autograph Collectors Club group on there, those are the examples I saw on the 26th

@Dent_1 I would say definitely buy his diamond pass! But as I’m sure you can see from my profile pic I am giving you a biased answer so I would always tell someone to buy a PC diamond pass if they asked me what they should do anyway :P

Edited by R4wly97

2 hours ago, R4wly97 said:

@Dent_1 I would say definitely buy his diamond pass! But as I’m sure you can see from my profile pic I am giving you a biased answer so I would always tell someone to buy a PC diamond pass if they asked me what they should do anyway :P

Nothing wrong with a bit of bias (passionate) advice!

You know what, something holding me back is that, from what I've seen, he doesn't have a terribly great looking autograph. I'm not one of these fanatics that demand every letter legible, and it's all very subjective,  but  I wouldn't say I'm all that fussy about this. in all the years I've been collecting autographs I have only been disappointed with two signatures (Karl Urban and Peter Dinklage), and a Capaldi Diamond Pass is a lot of money for an auto lacking in visual appeal.

@Dent_1 Yeah haha I could definitely give you lots of biased passionate advice for him! 

To be honest until you’ve just mentioned it I’ve never even thought about how the autographs I get look, I’m just happy I get to even meet the guests and that they are taking the time to sign something for me :P

24 minutes ago, Dent_1 said:

You know what, something holding me back is that, from what I've seen, he doesn't have a terribly great looking autograph. I'm not one of these fanatics that demand every letter legible, and it's all very subjective,  but  I wouldn't say I'm all that fussy about this. in all the years I've been collecting autographs I have only been disappointed with two signatures (Karl Urban and Peter Dinklage), and a Capaldi Diamond Pass is a lot of money for an auto lacking in visual appeal.

But, as TerraHawk mentioned before, Capaldi usually adds great dedications with lengthy quotes, jokes, drawings, and so on, which make his autographs really special and personal. If you’re interested in that sort of things, the nice dedication might make up for a “plain” signature.

Personally most of the time I care more about the dedication than the signature itself (and also the experience of meeting the guest particularly, sayings a few words, taking a couple of pictures while they sign or even a selfie if it’s allowed). So I’m not really bothered by how signatures look generally, but maybe it matters for auto value and collection purposes so in the end you have to decide if it’s worth it for you ;)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nerd Who said:

But, as TerraHawk mentioned before, Capaldi usually adds great dedications with lengthy quotes, jokes, drawings, and so on, which make his autographs really special and personal. If you’re interested in that sort of things, the nice dedication might make up for a “plain” signature.

Personally most of the time I care more about the dedication than the signature itself (and also the experience of meeting the guest particularly, sayings a few words, taking a couple of pictures while they sign or even a selfie if it’s allowed). So I’m not really bothered by how signatures look generally, but maybe it matters for auto value and collection purposes so in the end you have to decide if it’s worth it for you ;)

None of this is about 'value' whatsoever, they are not collected for resale. Purely about visual appeal/effort that appears to be put in by the signer.

I was never mad into 'extras' on autographs but prefer personalisastions these days and have got some amazing dedications/quotes over the years which certainly add to a piece. It is very good to see that Capaldi has put in lots of effort in this area for fans, even with his little "DR?" sign-off. At the insanely LFCC, I wouldn't expect too much in terms of lengthy detailed dedications though from any guest.

That said, I feel it lets the piece down when the way they have written my name looks better than their own signature.  All the other effort draws more attention to a lazy signature IMO.

It is nice to have good memories of meeting a guest, and hopefully a few pleasant words exchanged, but memories fade, experiences can be less than perfect and the auto, is the tangible memento of the encounter, and I like them to look good.

14 minutes ago, R4wly97 said:

@Dent_1 To be honest I think if you asked Peter Capaldi to do you a really nice signature just the way you want it, he’s such a nice man that I’m sure he would be happy to oblige! :D

"Can you do me a nice signature?"

I've asked for plenty from guests, not sure I could say that! :o

2 hours ago, Dent_1 said:

None of this is about 'value' whatsoever, they are not collected for resale. Purely about visual appeal/effort that appears to be put in by the signer.

I was never mad into 'extras' on autographs but prefer personalisastions these days and have got some amazing dedications/quotes over the years which certainly add to a piece. It is very good to see that Capaldi has put in lots of effort in this area for fans, even with his little "DR?" sign-off. At the insanely LFCC, I wouldn't expect too much in terms of lengthy detailed dedications though from any guest.

That said, I feel it lets the piece down when the way they have written my name looks better than their own signature.  All the other effort draws more attention to a lazy signature IMO.

It is nice to have good memories of meeting a guest, and hopefully a few pleasant words exchanged, but memories fade, experiences can be less than perfect and the auto, is the tangible memento of the encounter, and I like them to look good.

I’m not sure it’s really a matter of laziness or effort they put in autos, it’s probably just out of habit. Most guests have to sign thousands of autographs at a time at all sorts of busy events, so they have to learn how to sign very quickly and their signatures inevitably change over time and probably become more “simple”.

I’m not saying there aren’t any big guests signing very slowly and carefully. But in this specific case, I remember Capaldi saying in an interview that after signing so many autographs the way he signs has permanently changed in “real life” as well, so that even his bank didn’t accept his new signature at first :o But at the end of the day *you* are receiving the autograph so you’re the one who should be satisfied with it, and if you fear it might not look good enough to you then I totally understand why you might prefer not to get it in the first place ;)

It’s all down to personal preference really because, as much as I love collecting autos, for me they’re just “things”, just ink on paper, the experience is more important to me. So I like autographs sessions mainly because you can be face to face with the guest for a couple of minutes and take a few photos while they sign as a memento of the day (even when they’re not posed pictures, if it’s allowed). These days I personally prefer photo ops (and photos of guests taken at the con in general) to autos, because I find them more inclusive and personal than an auto, so you might consider this option as well since I’ve read you were thinking about it...

From what I’ve seen from other events I’m confident he’ll try his best to make everyone happy, and since he’s attending two days he might be able to personalize autos when there aren’t many people in the queue. Or at least I hope he’ll write his classic “Dr ???” at the bottom of mine because I love it :D

• Like 1