Films watched in 2018

Raylenth

HALLOWEEN (2018) *No Spoilers*

I know its a classic, and I do love John Carpenter, but the original HALLOWEEN (1978) to me was always overrated; it was just a dull, simple story with a soulless killer (Micheal Myers) whose motivation was just simply and boringly, "he's just evil". I have to say I felt pretty much the same way about this new film. If you're gonna start-over and retcon previous sequels like they never happened then you better have a damn good reason why. HALLOWEEN (2018) adds nothing new to justify it's existence and its basically more of the same and not even that scary.

It's not a BAD film, it's OK but rather clunky. Jamie Lee Curtis (back as Laurie Strode) doesn't really have a lot to chew on in this film; she's quite one-dimensional and like a supporting character in her own film. The other characters are pretty shallow and we aren't told much about them either so its hard to invest in them when they're being chased - this is especially true of Laurie's family which is almost unforgivable since they're the ones Laurie is trying to protect and warn all the way through the film right up until the very end. It would have been better if the writers still kept Laurie as Micheal's sister (as in the previous films) to link the two characters otherwise why the big showdown? Some characters even disappeared and were never mentioned again, what happened to them? There is some pretty cringey redundant dialogue and banter between certain characters too which really took me out of the film (Vietnamese sandwiches) and other scenes where I wasn't sure if they were meant to be funny or not (little black kid) although some folks in my cinema did laugh. 

The film basically plodded along slowly as a by-the-numbers slasher film until there was one moment in the film where I thought, "Oh now THAT'S interesting!" BUT then this little plot-twist was wasted when it fell flat on its face and was forgotten about 5 mins later. WHY???!! This pretty much summed up the whole film to me really; a wasted opportunity. The only redeeming quality of the film is the final act which is nicely paced and quite taut but maybe a little too stretched-out followed by an ending which left me feeling unsatisfied. 

HALLOWEEN (2018) won't go down as a classic, its just a flavour of the month horror film although still better than most horror remakes including Rob Zombie's HALLOWEEN (2007) but still pretty average.

3/5

Edited by nicky

Everyone put on Netflix...

Find "The Night Comes For Us" sit back and watch a masterpiece of action. The bloodiest,  insane thing you may see :o

It premiered worldwide Friday night on Netflix. Instant Film of the year stuff.

But my god if you dont like blood dont put it on haha As they kill everyone and everything in every way possible. Imagine John Wick times 10!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wrong Name said:

That was an overrated film too in my opinion.

I enjoyed it without thinking it was amazing, so I guess I agree with you on that one (sorry). I think there are some aspects of Get Out - in a similar way to Black Panther - that were never going to resonate with you or I as much as some others.

• Like 1

Halloween (2018)- I absolutely loved it.

I am a huge fan of the original, so I suppose I am biased. :lol:

Michael Myers is frightening again. The kills are surprisingly brutal as well. James Jude Courtney did an amazing job as the character. Jamie Lee Curtis did a brilliant job, and I liked what they did with the character of Laurie Strode. I liked the other supporting characters as well. Not all of them, but most of them were good.

The soundtrack is incredible. The pacing for the film was very good, and the third act was great. I really liked the ending and I can't wait to see where the story will go (that is if there is a sequel).

Overall- 9/10.

There are some other small flaws, but I am being honest, I loved it.

Edited by The Friendly Dalek

9 minutes ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

Halloween- I absolutely loved it.

I am a huge fan of the original, so I suppose I am biased. :lol:

Michael Myers is frightening again. The kills are surprisingly brutal as well. James Jude Courtney did an amazing job as the character. Jamie Lee Curtis did a brilliant job, and I liked what they did with the character of Laurie Strode. I liked the other supporting characters as well. Not all of them, but most of them were good.

The soundtrack is incredible. The pacing for the film was very good, and the third act was great. I realky liked the ending and I can't wait to see where the story will go (that is if there is a sequel).

Overall- 9/10.

There are some other small flaws, but I am being honest, I loved it.

We sat down to watch the original last Halloween as my 18 year old hadn't seen it. I was a bit irked when she laughed all the way through it; she thought it was very tame!

I suppose it is by today's standards but I still think it's a great film!

Looking forward to seeing the new version.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bumper8 said:

We sat down to watch the original last Halloween as my 18 year old hadn't seen it. I was a bit irked when she laughed all the way through it; she thought it was very tame!

I suppose it is by today's standards but I still think it's a great film!

Looking forward to seeing the new version.

The same thing happened to me when I watched the original recently with one of my friends. He laughed quite a lot. I see why he found it funny but I still love it. 

Hope you enjoy the new one as much as I did. :D

Edited by The Friendly Dalek
  • Like 1

Finally saw First Man. Glad I waited to get to the IMAX theatre to see it. Definitely made the difference. Just wish I could have seen it before last weekend though as I now have so many more questions I’d like to ask Fred Haise about what it must have been like to be an Apollo astronaut.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Raylenth said:

Coco.  That was one truly brilliant film, the colours and visuals were off the chart.  I'm really glad I didn't see it in the cinema though as I was bawling my eyes out at the end.

I have that recorded and ready to watch this weekend. I cried at Inside Out so this could be a struggle.

Just now, natedammit said:

I have that recorded and ready to watch this weekend. I cried at Inside Out so this could be a struggle.

The film or me crying?  Because one's ok, the other really isn't and I'm totally not going to go and look for camera's upstairs :whistling:

But seriously, you will enjoy it.  I haven't seen Inside Out yet though so can't comment on the crylimalarity levels between the 2.

23 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

The film or me crying?  Because one's ok, the other really isn't and I'm totally not going to go and look for camera's upstairs :whistling:

GDY2jaA.gif?noredirect

24 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

But seriously, you will enjoy it.  I haven't seen Inside Out yet though so can't comment on the crylimalarity levels between the 2.

I loved Inside Out, I heartily recommend it. Also, whilst it's not really relevant to say this now, Up is rubbish and didn't come close to making me cry.

• Like 1

Watched the new Halloween film the weekend. Thought it was ok. Some good moments but didn't care much for Laurie Strode's family. Overall 5/10.

The best films for me in the franchise are Halloween H20 and Halloween (2007 Rob Zombie remake).

Tomb Raider - Finally got round to watching this after missing it at the cinema, enjoyed it enough to watch it again and maybe see a sequel if they decided to. Alicia Vikander is great and perfect for the role.

Rampage - Was okay would happily watch on a Sunday afternoon at home.

First Man - Saw it in IMAX and thought it was great, was quite tired while watching so will need to revisit to get a better assessment of it!