Films watched in 2018

Raylenth

Last night I saw the remastered 4K of Some Like It Hot. Seen it many, many times but this was the first time on the big screen. I was surprised how well it held up given the subject matter, the only issue being that the conclusion Curtis and Lemmon’s characters come to is that you have a terrible time being a woman what with all the sexual harassment they experience (or men showing their appreciation towards woman as it would have been seen in 1959) but instead of sympathising and changing the way they treat women they just want to NOT be woman anymore. Still a damned funny film and even though he was Oscar nominated I think Lemmon gets overlooked by the other 2 stars especially with all the tales of 50+ takes getting Marylin  to say 1 line correctly.

The Grinch, that was an enjoyable film, for reasons not including the obvious.

Did I also get my free Grinch stickers?  Heck yes!  Did I buy the tiny tiny bag of ever so slightly green Grinch popcorn for £4?  No I did not.

• Like 1

On 15 November 2018 at 2:11 PM, EllaBlair said:

I saw Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald last night. Still confused from the twist at the end because I have no idea how it makes sense. I really enjoyed the movie though, especially Jude Law's young Dumbledore. Can't wait for the next installment.

Just seen it as well and I'm as bemused! No idea where it comes from! But I agree, I enjoyed it and looking forward to the next movie!

Edited by wjbleming
  • Like 1

Suspiria (1977)

Heard about the remake and thought I better check out the original-very atmospheric especially with regard to set design and music score.

Not as scary as I thought it would be but still a good film.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2018 at 1:24 PM, Raylenth said:

The Grinch, that was an enjoyable film, for reasons not including the obvious.

Did I also get my free Grinch stickers?  Heck yes!  Did I buy the tiny tiny bag of ever so slightly green Grinch popcorn for £4?  No I did not.

I would have :P

The Girl in the Spiders Web (or The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo 2 if you prefer) was really good. More action than the first movie and good performances (although I did prefer Rooney Mara in the lead role).

Edited by Daniel

Legion (2010).  Seen it before but it was a while ago.  It's an alright film, not a whole lot to say about it, the plot isn't complicated.  Paul Bettany is OK in it but it was a fairly straightforward role that didn't ask for a lot from its cast.  Nice take on an apocalypse film and an easy watch.

San Andreas.  It's a Rock film so I wasn't expecting much from it and that's exactly what I got.  Literally 30 seconds in and I was practically screaming at the opening, that woman surviving almost totally unhurt that flip down the sheer mountain and keeping hold of her phone.  Please.   And the rescue team then calling her on it!  AGGGGHHHH.   I'm 40 minutes in and I'm rooting for the earthquake.

I know, I know, action films rarely have much in that ties into the reality of what would actually have happened so I shouldn't be  surprised, but I'm annoyed that I'm annoyed at it because I can't say I didn't know.  It was so full of cliche's that film students who need to know about cliche's should just watch this.

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Raylenth said:

Arrival.  That was a good, enjoyable, well made film and very much deserves the praise it received at the time.

Totally agree- I keep pestering the rest of the family to watch it.

• Like 1

I saw Creed 2 (or Rocky VIII if you prefer) today and it was absolutely amazing. The Rocky movies, especially the fourth, were a big part of my childhood so this was one of my most anticipated movies of the year. It certainly did not dissapoint. Seeing the old characters again was like a dream come true. I won't post any spoilers but if you liked Rocky IV, you must see this.

• Like 1