Films watched in 2018

Raylenth

On 9/21/2018 at 11:42 PM, nicky said:

Yes, I think they were Predator-dog hybrids. Before the massive re-shoot happened of the entire 3rd act in July there were a bunch of Pred-hybrid creatures including Pred-spiders in the story. These hybrid creatures were originally what was meant to come out of the pod in the end scene hence why it's all gooey. But of course, the re-write and re-shoot deleted all that which is why a lot of the film makes no sense.

There were also 2 friendly "peace emissaries" Predators introduced by Edward James Elmos (playing a General) in Area 52 who would help The Loonies in an APC to kill the Upgrade Predator. These two Preds were decked in human camo gear and had been kept safe in Area 52 for "a year". The General also went on to kill Trieger later on for wanting to capture the Pred tech for himself and sell to the highest bidder.

There was a scene cut out near the start where we are introduced to Olivia Munn's character where she is walking her dog and then hit on by a jogger. This scene was meant to explain her fondness of the Pred-dogs later. This is the sene that was cut-out because of the sex-offender controversy.

The kid's autism played a bigger part hence why we're probably shown that chess scene of him picking up the pieces like he's Rain Man.

All the above cut out.

3e4829b6a60b42fd540ec224_full.jpg

I finally got to see the film last night and thought it was a very poor movie. The script and characters were beyond cliche and totally OTT, never mind the fact that it sets mental health awareness back about 30 years. It might have been a bit better with the above all kept in. I have no idea why this was all taken out. Seems like a bad idea to me.

Hereditary (2018)

It takes a while to get going but it's worth hanging in there for a dark and unsettling final act.

Didn't quite live up to the hype for me (5 stars Empire?) but it's a good solid modern horror movie.

7 hours ago, Ravogd said:

I finally got to see the film last night and thought it was a very poor movie. The script and characters were beyond cliche and totally OTT, never mind the fact that it sets mental health awareness back about 30 years. It might have been a bit better with the above all kept in. I have no idea why this was all taken out. Seems like a bad idea to me.

It was because of poor test screenings. Shane Black is has always been a  decent writer on his own so I'd blame co-writer Fred (Monster Squad, Robocop 3) Dekker. Not sure why he was even roped into the production tbh.

Venom. Not a good film. A decent performance from Hardy and a well written relationship between Eddie and Venom does not make a good film and I felt they were just trying to make up for the comedic quips normally reserved for the web spinner himself. I was intrigued to see how this series of Spider-villains without the spider were going to turn out and I fear for the future of the range. Kasady looked too Ronald McDonald and was that wig really the best they could do? This is what happens when rights to characters are a tossed all over the place like Marvel did with the Spider-Man universe years ago.

• Like 1

First Man (2018)

Excellent film with great performances from Ryan Gosling and Claire Foy.

It blended human drama with superb technical sequences recreating key missions in Neil's career.

Much more than a film about space; there were some very poignant moments. 

See it in Imax if you can.

• Like 1

Updating 

New this year 

The Greatest Showman

I, Tonya 

Pacific Rim: Uprising

Black Panther 

Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again 

Tag 

New to me because I'm slow

The Matrix 

The Horde 

Hyenas

Goodbye Christopher Robin 

Pacific Rim 

House of 1000 Corpses 

The Devil's Rejects 

Leatherface

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 

The Alphabet Killer 

The Road to El Dorado 

Johnny English Reborn 

Almost Dead 

Immortally Yours 

Dr Chopper 

Death Proof 

IT 

Goodfellas

My humble opinion: all were at least tolerable, some were truly excellent, and you couldn't pay me enough to voluntarily sit through The Devil's Rejects ever again. What the **** was Rob Zombie thinking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Faerie Tanith said:

you couldn't pay me enough to voluntarily sit through The Devil's Rejects ever again. What the **** was Rob Zombie thinking.

I love that film! Although I do prefer House of 1000 Corpses. I'm looking forward to the sequel though, which they have been working on for a while now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Faerie Tanith said:

My humble opinion: all were at least tolerable, some were truly excellent, and you couldn't pay me enough to voluntarily sit through The Devil's Rejects ever again. What the **** was Rob Zombie thinking.

Personally I like that film, but I am also one of the crazy people who like Zombie's Halloween films so... :D

1 minute ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

Personally I like that film, but I am also one of the crazy people who like Zombie's Halloween films so... :D

Until last week, I'd only seen Rob Zombie's version. This will be a VERY unpopular opinion, but after watching the original, I prefer Rob Zombie's version.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Wrong Name said:

Until last week, I'd only seen Rob Zombie's version. This will be a VERY unpopular opinion, but after watching the original, I prefer Rob Zombie's version.

I think you're the only person who I've ever seen who's had that opinion. 

That's good though, having different opinions is what makes people interesting and unique. :D

Edited by The Friendly Dalek

1 minute ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

I think you're the only person who I've ever seen who's had that opinion. 

That's good though, having different opinions is what makes people interesting and unique. :D

As I've seen the original later in life, I found it to be a very standard, by the numbers, horror film. I realise it was released in 1978 and was probably more unique back then, but for me, it just wasn't scary and I could pretty much predict every scare and plot point before it happened. I just wasn't overly impressed. It was ok, just nothing special to me. As for Rob Zombie's version, I just love his gritty style and sense of menace that he puts into all his films. Halloween included. As you say though, this is just my opinion. I am by no means saying that anyone has to agree with me!

• Like 1

First Man was amazing. It is a movie about Neil Armstrong that certainly captured the person and things I certainly didn't know. The space flight scenes were very realistic and certainly makes you think what it would be like.

The Dark Knight Rises - finally watched it, the story was interesting in theory but the film was just meh, the whole ending was obvious from the first 5 mins of the film, from who some people turned out to be and how Albert's dream would come true, so on the whole a not brilliant end to the trilogy.

Edited by Raylenth