Films watched in 2018

Raylenth

On 8/27/2018 at 12:26 AM, The Friendly Dalek said:

Today I watched The Fly. I absolutely love this film. The acting is fantastic and the dialogue is brilliant. The practical effects on show throughout the movie are absolutely stunning, cementing Cronenberg as one of the great horror directors in my mind. Jeff Goldblum is also my favoutite actor ever.

On 8/27/2018 at 12:28 AM, The Friendly Dalek said:

Ive just noticed the time. Technically I watched it yesterday. :P 

Also, I said I'm binging Goldblum's films. I'm just going to watch one every now and then, I'm not going to stick to a routine of watching one a day or anything or like that.

I love The Fly! Have you seen The Fly ll? :smile:

Which Jeff Goldblum films have you binged so far? :smile:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChloeLou said:

I love The Fly! Have you seen The Fly ll? :smile:

Which Jeff Goldblum films have you binged so far? :smile:

Yes, I have seen Fly II and it was pretty poor in my opinion.

Since I posted that, I have seen Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Independence Day 1 and 2 and Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Most of my movie watching time is being dedicated to Doctor Who at the moment, so I'm surprised I've managed to see that many. That's most likely the lot for now. :D

Edited by The Friendly Dalek
  • Like 1

King of Theives. When I heard about the Hatton Garden robbery I immediately thought I’ll bet they get Michael Caine to play one of them. Great cast. Interesting take on the “once more for the road” type of movie where old guys try to find a purpose in life. A lot more sweary than I though it would be. Funny hearing some gasps from the 2 old dears behind me when Caine says the C word :lol: Charlie Cox of Daredevil fame is also good as the “character we had to make up as nobody knows who his was to this day”

On 9/16/2018 at 9:54 PM, Wrong Name said:

The Predator -  Why did the dogs have dreads too? Were they part Predator? 

Yes, I think they were Predator-dog hybrids. Before the massive re-shoot happened of the entire 3rd act in July there were a bunch of Pred-hybrid creatures including Pred-spiders in the story. These hybrid creatures were originally what was meant to come out of the pod in the end scene hence why it's all gooey. But of course, the re-write and re-shoot deleted all that which is why a lot of the film makes no sense.

There were also 2 friendly "peace emissaries" Predators introduced by Edward James Elmos (playing a General) in Area 52 who would help The Loonies in an APC to kill the Upgrade Predator. These two Preds were decked in human camo gear and had been kept safe in Area 52 for "a year". The General also went on to kill Trieger later on for wanting to capture the Pred tech for himself and sell to the highest bidder.

There was a scene cut out near the start where we are introduced to Olivia Munn's character where she is walking her dog and then hit on by a jogger. This scene was meant to explain her fondness of the Pred-dogs later. This is the sene that was cut-out because of the sex-offender controversy.

The kid's autism played a bigger part hence why we're probably shown that chess scene of him picking up the pieces like he's Rain Man.

All the above cut out.

3e4829b6a60b42fd540ec224_full.jpg

Edited by nicky

Watched The Cold Light of Day. It was a very mediocre action film but Henry Cavill was nice to look at ;)

Watched The Commuter next, which was a slightly less mediocre action film that had the added bonus of featuring Sam Neill (:wub:) who I could squee over having now met ;)

• Like 1

On 9/19/2018 at 4:11 PM, The Friendly Dalek said:

Yes, I have seen Fly II and it was pretty poor in my opinion.

Since I posted that, I have seen Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Independence Day 1 and 2 and Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Most of my movie watching time is being dedicated to Doctor Who at the moment, so I'm surprised I've managed to see that many. That's most likely the lot for now. :D

I enjoyed The Fly ll. When I saw the second film, I hadn't seen the first film at that point. I think they're both great! :smile:

Sadly, I thought Independence Day: Resurgence wasn't too good. It was okay. I love the original, though! :smile:

I haven't actually seen Invasion of the Body Snatchers yet. I've been meaning to see it! :smile:

• Like 1

On 9/22/2018 at 9:50 PM, Broo said:

Watched The Cold Light of Day. It was a very mediocre action film but Henry Cavill was nice to look at ;)

Watched The Commuter next, which was a slightly less mediocre action film that had the added bonus of featuring Sam Neill (:wub:) who I could squee over having now met ;)

I love The Commuter! I got my friend to come and see it with me at the cinema in January! I had no idea that in July, I would be meeting Sam Neill... :smile::D

Venom- A prettt fun time actually. The relationship between Eddie and Venom was the best part of the film. The character has finally been done justice on the big screen. The other characters, however, weren't exactly that great. 

Dialogue was alright, and the editing was ok. I also thought that the action scenes were well done, especially the motorcycle chase scene.

The second post credit scene was awesome.  :thumbup:

Edited by The Friendly Dalek

16 hours ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

Venom- A prettt fun time actually. The relationship between Eddie and Venom was the best part of the film. The character has finally been done justice on the big screen. The other characters, however, weren't exactly that great. 

Dialogue was alright, and the editing was ok. I also thought that the action scenes were well done, especially the motorcycle chase scene.

The second post credit scene was awesome.  :thumbup:

Saw it yesterday (Thursday) and really enjoyed it.  A lot better then the reviews say it is.  Loved both scenes in the credits.  A much better Venom than we got in Spider-Man 3

• Like 1

Operation Finale (2018)

This was the plan by Israeli agents to apprehend Adolf Eichmann in Argentina and transport him to Israel to stand trial for war crimes.

Oscar Isaac is particularly good as he brings a lot of humanity to the story. Ben Kingsley plays Eichmann and delivers a fine performance although in my opinion he's too old for the part.

It's on Netflix just now.

Cinema

Venom - I will admit that they did better than they did in Spider-Man 3 with the character of Venom. That doesn't unfortunately mean this film was any good. Massive plot holes and lucky coincidences are the only way the laughable story gets to move forward. Some great actors with some wooden performances and yet another poor villain. I heard someone say that this felt like it should have been in The Amazing Spider-Man universe of movies and I completely agree as it was just as forgettable. 

A Star Is Born - This was... alright...ish. I get what they were trying to do but the lack of connection/any kind of real chemistry between Gaga and Cooper really ruined this. As a musician and someone who has worked in the industry, it had a very idealised view about what happens, especially in the realms of musicians making up songs on stage and their band magically being able to play that song perfectly, unexpected key changes and all! I found the second and third acts to be very muddled in what moral they were trying to teach and just generally felt this was trying to replicate other films that have done this better. I did love a lot of the songs though, especially the Bradley Cooper ones.

Home

Apollo 13 - I've watched this so many times but I do love going back to it. Great performances all round and a generally great film!

Gravity - I always end up watching more space movies after I watch Apollo 13 and Gravity is one of the more modern ones that I go back to and feel is totally underrated. I do regret putting this on just before going to bed as it is so tense for the most part that there's no way I could go to sleep right after watching it! I regret not seeing this on the big screen as it would have been amazing. I'm not even a Sandra Bullock fan but she really nails it in this. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend.

Child's Play - I'm trying to go through some classic horror films that I've never watched at the moment and this was the first. Having escaped my watch for many years, I still feel that I knew everything I needed to about this movie before watching it, by which I mean it was a very 'by the numbers' horror flick with no real surprises. That's not to say it wasn't good. I loved the character of Chucky, but just felt they could have played up the creepy doll aspect more than they did. Still a good watch though. I have other things to watch but will try to get round to the sequels at some point.

Edited by Wrong Name

11 minutes ago, Wrong Name said:

As a musician and someone who has worked in the industry

Please link me to your work. I'm imagining youtube videos of you playing various covers on the ukelele. There is nothing I want to see more than this. Please don't let me down.

Just now, natedammit said:

Please link me to your work. I'm imagining youtube videos of you playing various covers on the ukelele. There is nothing I want to see more than this. Please don't let me down.

When I say I worked in the industry, I was (and sometimes still am) a sound engineer and roadie. Although I am listed as playing percussion on one of a very famous band's albums, but linking that would reveal my full name on here, which I'm not prepared to do.

• Like 1