Films watched in 2018

Raylenth

52 minutes ago, Broo said:

Just waiting for @Chris1970 to post the "SHAME" gif now...

No, Chris will say that's it's perfectly fine to like different things and if you think it's not fantastic that's totally OK, then we will all hunt Chris down and tar and feather him and roll him down a hill ;)

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, VikingGrrrl said:

You are not my mother! <_<

Classic teenage daughter rebellion... ;)

The ending was very effective, just the rest of it was... y'know, okay. I'll likely enjoy it more on a second viewing

25 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

No, Chris will say that's it's perfectly fine to like different things and if you think it's not fantastic that's totally OK, then we will all hunt Chris down and tar and feather him and roll him down a hill ;)

During which I run away to escape whatever punishment y'all will have decided is appropriate for me... :ph34r:

13 minutes ago, Broo said:

Classic teenage daughter rebellion... ;)

The ending was very effective, just the rest of it was... y'know, okay. I'll likely enjoy it more on a second viewing

During which I run away to escape whatever punishment y'all will have decided is appropriate for me... :ph34r:

No Cavill for you.

33 minutes ago, VikingGrrrl said:

Henry Cavill sucks!

*Run to my room and slam the door*

*breathe Broo she doesn't mean it she's just acting out, it's all part of growing up, be nice to her*

*leaves a mug of hot cocoa outside your room*

*it's a superman mug*

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Broo said:

Broo is a bad Cavill fan, I've only heard bad things about this film and so haven't watched it... :ninja: 

I am not a fan so don't even know what it's from, it was the only slightly sad gif I could find at the time :P

Edited by Raylenth
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Also it's fair enough not watching your fav in a bad film, I get that.  However I'll just add that he can still be good in a rubbish film.  I really don't like The Fifth Estate but Cumbers....

That is true, the last few years of supernatural have made for painful viewing but Jensen ackles' acting is always enjoyable. And a quick check on Amazon suggests Cold Light of Day is deservedly cheap... youve got me tempted to give it a go lol.

I'm assuming fifth estate is your least favourite of BC's, which is your favourite though? Just being nosy :)

12 minutes ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

I take it you haven't seen Cavill's true worst film, Hellraiser: Hellworld? :D

I've seen enough GIFs from it to feel confident I shouldn't subject myself to it. I suspect it's horrifying in not the intended way ;)

Edited by Broo
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Broo said:

That is true, the last few years of supernatural have made for painful viewing but Jensen ackles' acting is always enjoyable. And a quick check on Amazon suggests Cold Light of Day is deservedly cheap... youve got me tempted to give it a go lol.

I'm assuming fifth estate is your least favourite of BC's, which is your favourite though? Just being nosy :)

If it's cheap buy it, if it's crap and you never watch it again fair enough but at least you get to see him in something you haven't seen yet.

Sherlock, hands down.  It's just such a good series for other reasons as well.

Film wise it's harder because like everything it depends on the film subject if it's really enjoyable or not (I've only watched Black Mass the once for example).  I like him in Tinker Tailor, but the ones I've probably watched the most would be the Marvel/Hobbit ones

Theatre: Frankenstein.

There's actually quite a few things I haven't seen yet, my Cumber to be watched pile is quite big.

Which is your best Henry?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Broo said:

*breathe Broo she doesn't mean it she's just acting out, it's all part of growing up, be nice to her*

*leaves a mug of hot cocoa outside your room*

*it's a superman mug*

Mooom! You know I only drink my cocoa in my Loki mug!! :WINCE:

4 hours ago, Raylenth said:

Also it's fair enough not watching your fav in a bad film, I get that.  However I'll just add that he can still be good in a rubbish film.  I really don't like The Fifth Estate but Cumbers....

I wish I could unsee Cry Baby. Why did Johnny Depp have to look so cute on the cover.. Luckily I've seen a lot of his movies that I really enjoy, so that helps overshadow that little blip

6 hours ago, Raylenth said:

If it's cheap buy it, if it's crap and you never watch it again fair enough but at least you get to see him in something you haven't seen yet.

Sherlock, hands down.  It's just such a good series for other reasons as well.

Film wise it's harder because like everything it depends on the film subject if it's really enjoyable or not (I've only watched Black Mass the once for example).  I like him in Tinker Tailor, but the ones I've probably watched the most would be the Marvel/Hobbit ones

Theatre: Frankenstein.

There's actually quite a few things I haven't seen yet, my Cumber to be watched pile is quite big.

Which is your best Henry?

Think I can get it for a couple quid so really not much to lose, and you're right, it'll be nice to see something new :)

Ahh shoulda guessed Sherlock, of course - d'oh! I have a soft spot for Starter for 10 actually, it was the first film of his I saw and was rather hypnotised by his eyes :) 

Being a superman fan it's Man of Steel for me (I imagine no surprises there haha), though Man from UNCLE and The Tudors I love too. And not technically a Cavill film I suppose but it amused me his role in Stardust :lol:

2 hours ago, VikingGrrrl said:

Mooom! You know I only drink my cocoa in my Loki mug!! :WINCE:

I wish I could unsee Cry Baby. Why did Johnny Depp have to look so cute on the cover.. Luckily I've seen a lot of his movies that I really enjoy, so that helps overshadow that little blip

Mom can't help a lil passive aggressiveness sometimes ;)

Oh wow now that takes me back haha haven't seen Cry Baby since I was a kid! The drinking tears bit used to make me gag a bit ergh! :WINCE:

Your turn, favourite/ least favourite Hiddleston roles :)

17 minutes ago, Broo said:

Being a superman fan it's Man of Steel for me (I imagine no surprises there haha), though Man from UNCLE and The Tudors I love too. And not technically a Cavill film I suppose but it amused me his role in Stardust :lol:

I                              I                                                I never realised he was in it!  It's been a long time since I've seen it but it's a brilliant film!

Image result for stardust humphrey

26 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

I                              I                                                I never realised he was in it!  It's been a long time since I've seen it but it's a brilliant film!

Image result for stardust humphrey

Haha he looks a wee bit different eh! And yesss it's a lil gem of a film, pure feel-good and hilarious. Need to rewatch it now <3

5 hours ago, Broo said:

Oh wow now that takes me back haha haven't seen Cry Baby since I was a kid! The drinking tears bit used to make me gag a bit ergh! :WINCE:

Your turn, favourite/ least favourite Hiddleston roles :)

That movie was just... Yeah..

Obviusly I love Tom as Loki :wub2: or is it Loki that is Tom? Who knows :lol:

Home

Ingrid Goes West - From the trailers I'd seen, I expected more out of this film in terms of Ingrid being a crazy stalker. Ultimately a bit boring and forgettable.

The Florida Project - Some great performances in this, especially from the kids. Well worth a watch.

Downsizing - I feel this film was completely mis-advertised in the trailers. Ultimately, the concept of people being shrunk has very little to do with a lot of the plot and it is way less of a comedy than it was made out to be. It was ok but I wouldn't bother with a second watch.

Brigsby Bear - Loved this one, despite it being a very light look at what is ultimately a very dark subject matter. Mark Hamill has a small role, and the film really has a lot of heart. Would highly recommend.

Top Gun - I had never seen this and thought I'd give it a watch as people said it was a "must see". It was stupid. The guy destroyed a multi-million dollar plane and no one mentions it or reprimands him in anyway. He endangers so many lives throughout the film and only seems to get praised! There only seemed to be 2 songs in the entire soundtrack too! Stupid.

Suburbicon - I was a bit bored by this one. The story wasn't anything particularly new, and the characters didn't seem as idealised and over-the-top as the world created for them.

Killer Klowns From Outer Space - Dumb, over-the-top, cheesy, badly acted, B-Movie. I loved it! Could have had more gore though.

Cinema

BlacKkKlansman - Considering it was based on a true story, this was interesting, but I do question how much actually happened. Some very cliche and almost cartoony acting, but over all, an enjoyable watch.

American Animals - Another one based a true story, in fact it actually has the people from the real life events working as part narraters for the film, giving it a part documentary feel. Some very tense and upsetting moments, but done really well with some great performances. 

Searching - A good film, and the idea of looking at it through the eyes of electronic devices (computers, phones, TVs etc) is interesting, but at times they push how long the average person would leave a FaceTime video up when they are not talking to anyone. Or probably how much people would use FaceTime in the first place! I did suss out the ending about halfway through though as there were a few things they did that made it glaringly obvious. Still a good watch.

The Predator - So disappointed. I had hoped that as Shane Black was in the first Predator movie he would know how to treat the creatures but that was not to be. It was almost as if they had no idea how a Predator was supposed to act at all! CGI was terrible and WAY overused. Why did the dogs have dreads too? Were they part Predator? The Super Predator was just dumb and there was one part that takes place outside the ship involving a computer that just made me angry at how stupid it was. Worst in the series by far, and I'm including the AVP films in that.

The Predator - I have the feeling it'll be an unpopular opinion, but I enjoyed the movie. It's nothing special or groundbreaking but it got an hour 45 in for me. There was a moment in a truck which was used as humour, and I did have a mild exhale laugh at it, even though it doesn't really fit, how would that come about? But like I said, switched off a bit for the movie and liked it. 6.5/10

21 hours ago, wjbleming said:

The Predator - I have the feeling it'll be an unpopular opinion, but I enjoyed the movie. It's nothing special or groundbreaking but it got an hour 45 in for me. There was a moment in a truck which was used as humour, and I did have a mild exhale laugh at it, even though it doesn't really fit, how would that come about? But like I said, switched off a bit for the movie and liked it. 6.5/10

Seen it today,  I really enjoyed it,  loved all the Easter eggs that tied it into the previous 5 films in the franchise 8/10