Films watched in 2018

Raylenth

Mission Impossible: Fallout - Yeah, another one of these movies. Action. Some minor plot that is just an excuse for Tom Cruise to jump about a bit and drive fast. Was ok, but I'll probably never watch it again.

Antman And The Wasp - Good fun Marvel movie. Nothing ground breaking here but the humour was good, and the story was ok. As one of the lower budge Marvel films (which is still pretty big compared to some films!) it worked really well. I think they could have done more with Ghost though.

The Meg - No. I like a cheesy bad shark movie but this was just kinda lame. If it wanted to be a proper bad shark film, it didn't go far enough in my opinion. The shark deserved everything it got as constantly gave away it's main element for feeding - surprise!

Christopher Robin - Loved this! Very very sweet film featuring some great versions of these classic characters. Nothing particularly new in the plot but an enjoyable watch non-the-less.

The Commuter - Standard Liam Neeson action film. Reminded me of Taken a lot. Not bad, but not amazing either.

The Country Bears - Based on the animatronic show at Disney World, I really didn't expect much from this, especially thanks to the reviews. I was pleasantly surprised! The story line is basically a rip off of The Blues Brothers but with bears, but it still made for a fun watch! The puppets were awesome with some great movement and expressions.

Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down The White House - This was the story of the man known as "Deep Throat" (queue the bear) who helped the press to uncover information leading to resignation of President Nixon in 1974. A very different Liam Neeson movie that I found fascinating as the whole Watergate scandal is something that interests me.

Edited by Wrong Name

It - Unfortunately this was a very good film. It's basically The Goonies but a bit scary, which is a great combination.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - Light-hearted, good-hearted fun. I actually enjoyed Kevin Hart in it and didn't think Karen Gillan was rubbish which I was not expecting. 

Bone Tomahawk - Now this was a proper film. A classic western (to the point of cliche but not in a bad way) plus added gore. Also featured the word 'tincture' a lot, which is a cracking word.

Inferno.  I've always enjoyed the Dan Brown books as long as you don't take them too seriously, they are a great doorway into art and architecture.  However the film was OK, the ending is significantly different to the book in this case though and I think for the better. 

On 8/28/2018 at 11:12 AM, Wrong Name said:

Christopher Robin - Loved this! Very very sweet film featuring some great versions of these classic characters. Nothing particularly new in the plot but an enjoyable watch non-the-less.

Slow year for me as I've just reached my 30th film with Christopher Robin.  Totally agree with Wrong Name summing up of the movie.  In fact there were more adults then children watching it at my local cinema this afternoon..

10 hours ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

I'm going to watch The Happytime Murders today. I'll post a mini review in this thread later. :D

The Happytime Murders- Some of the jokes landed. Others did not. Acting was questionable at times. The third act was cliche in terms of how the plant was resolved. As I said though, some of it was funny.

Overall- 5/10.

Gotti (2018) - 

Despite knowing this was based on a real person and real events, I have no real idea as to whom Gotti is or rather was, so I was kind of hoping this movie could share some light on this.

Overall it started off rather well and I could feel myself getting interested, sadly though by the middle part of the movie I couldn't help but feel my interest span fading as it eventually ended up feeling quite rushed by the end of the film.
I did enjoy the mix of movie scenes and real life scenes (I assume it was real footage anyway) which managed to give a bit better idea as to how much people thought of the guy, however due to this I also couldn't help but feel like perhaps the movie could of been somewhat improved too.

So I'd score this one an average though its interesting being based on true events, the movie though itself felt like it could of improved more on telling us of whom Gotti is and why he was considered an important role to the community as seen by the real? footage.

Unfortunately though it just ended up feeling like a normal gangster movie with very little plot, was quite boring and probably would not watch again.

Score: 4/10

Paterno -

Ah a film starring my all time favourite actor, I'll try not to be biased due to that though haha. However it was the main reason I decided to watch this film.
I have so far managed to watch every single Pacino movie that has ever been released, including the rather obscure ones too, so watching this one was bound to happen at some point lol

Anywho first of all I don't know much about American Football or as I like to call it Hand Egg because  that is what it looks like, a huge oversized Egg getting tossed around by guys in rather tight pants :P
Anyway having never really watched American Football apart from one time when I went to watch the  Super Bowl at a Stadium in America, which whilst being rather cool to watch it Live, it was mainly due to my mums friend that we even went in the first place and despite being told by several people as to what was going on I still failed to be able to follow it =/

Despite this however I thought the movie was quite good, it managed to do everything Gotti did not. It got to the point and it didn't dawdle about it neither, as soon as the movie started it was straight into the action and to the point and it felt quite fast paced too. I'm not sure if this was based on true events but towards the end it felt like it was, which was unexpected. It was well written in my opinion as it made me feel for the victims and get an idea of what it would of been like for those involved in incidents such as these.

Overall I had no issues with the movie, it got to the point and it was written well enough that even idiots like myself could understand. I also have to admit even at 78 Pacino is still a phenomenal actor! SM please get him to one of your events, your probably sick of me forever requesting him by now but seriously I'd sell my soul just to be able to get an autograph! Haha at 78 I'm dreaming really lol still I'd love to be proven wrong :lol:

Score: 6/10

Edited by Sassy1988

Blackkklansmen- Wow. 

This film was brilliant. The message it carried was a strong one, and the closing scenes were incredibly moving.

The characters were well written and well acted. I have no idea how historically accurate this film is, but everything that happened in the film had a reason for happening that made sense. 

It was very well shot, and I thought the score was also brilliant. It was much funnier than I thought, but it retained its incredibly serious tone throughout its entire runtime. 

Overall- 10/10.

One of the best films I have seen all year.

Searching- After seeing both Unfriended movies, I was sceptical going into this film, as I believed that this format would never translate well to the screen. How wrong I was. Searching is a marvel in terms of its editing. Despite only seeing what is on computers and security footage the entire time, I never lost interest, and my eyes were also glued to the screen. 

The acting and dialogue were brilliant for the most part. John Cho gave an excellent performance here. The fact that you care about this character and what he is going through helps to keep the audience interested. The emotional core of this film sets it apart from other movies. There were many twists that I didn't see coming.

The only major problem I had was the ending. I won't go into spoilers, but I felt it didn't carry the same emotional weight as the the of the film. You'll see what I mean if you watch the film, and I will elaborate further if people want me to, as I couldn't really go into depth here without getting into spoilers.

Overall- 9/10.

Edited by The Friendly Dalek

The Happytime Murders - Seen this on Holiday Monday there and it's alright. The film's different in the use of the puppets and i enjoyed that aspect of it, but the humour was hit and miss. You'd need to have a more, maybe immature humour to enjoy the humour in this sometimes.

The Nun - Was decent, good. Nothing groundbreaking.

The Nun- Jumpscare fuelled rubbish. There were a couple of effective moments, but beyond that there was nothing of substance to it. The plot was weak and the characters weren't great either. The leads were likeable, but not very well developed character-wise. The visual appeal of Valak was lost about 2 thirds of the way in, as they just showed it way too much for my liking. The subtler moments are where the film is effective. 

The Predator- I loved it! Not perfect, but a very fun action movie. The action was very well-shot, and this was a film where I found the 3D to actually be worth it. Shane Black's trademark wit and humour was on display here, and I found myself laughing far more than I was expecting to. The Predators themselves looked great, and I liked the inclusion of those Predator dog things. As this film flies through the action, there are very few effective character moments, so most of them just end up being undeveloped. The obvious sequel-baiting at the end was also a bit much, I thought. Other than that I really enjoyed it.