Films watched in 2018

Raylenth

A Quiet Place was good, but I was a little disappointed there wasn't more of a backstory or explanation for the circumstances. It certainly had some good tension though.

Edited by Daniel

Mary and the Witch's Flower - The debut film from Studio Ponoc, which has risen out of the ashes of Studio Ghibli. Whilst lacking in some of the depth the true Ghibli classics have, this is a great start. A truly fun and funny adventure that never drags.

Blade Runner 2049, really enjoyed the story and Ryan Gosling's performance. Although the ending did leave me wanting more, kinda like the original I guess, and it was pretty cool to see all the throwbacks to the first film also.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tony1975 said:

Just come back from watching A Quiet Place. What a load of overrated boring rubbish! So many laughable flaws in it that it got embarrassing. Was really looking forward to this film as well!

Don't sit on the fence Tony1975-tell us what you really think :D

I was looking forward to seeing it too, but not now!

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Bumper8 said:

Don't sit on the fence Tony1975-tell us what you really think :D

I was looking forward to seeing it too, but not now!

Haha my mate thought the same as me as well! Going by the reviews though we seem to be in the minority so you may well enjoy it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony1975 said:

Just come back from watching A Quiet Place. What a load of overrated boring rubbish! So many laughable flaws in it that it got embarrassing. Was really looking forward to this film as well!

Sorry you feel that way, Tony, and sorry for playing a part in building your hopes up. :(

On another note, seen Ghost Stories today and have mixed feelings about it. A good few jump scares and the end of the third act took a bit of a WTF turn. One that I'm really unsure about at the moment.

12 minutes ago, wjbleming said:

Sorry you feel that way, Tony, and sorry for playing a part in building your hopes up. :(

On another note, seen Ghost Stories today and have mixed feelings about it. A good few jump scares and the end of the third act took a bit of a WTF turn. One that I'm really unsure about at the moment.

That's ok mate. There have been a lot of positive reviews for it. I haven't seen Ghost Stories but seen the trailer and couldn't decide about it. Next horror movie for me to see is Truth or Dare. It's had mixed reviews so knowing me I will probably like it lol.

1 hour ago, Tony1975 said:

Haha my mate thought the same as me as well! Going by the reviews though we seem to be in the minority so you may well enjoy it!

I'll probably rent it on the PlayStation Network when it's available:smile:

Annihilation (2018)

Some of the Netflix movies have been underwhelming but this bucked the trend.

Thought-provoking science fiction which is quite unsettling at times-recommended.

Black Panther - One of the better Marvel films. Stuck close to the tried and tested formula of a classic superhero film, but done well. 

An - A Japanese film about age, loneliness, leprosy and bean paste. So quiet and simple but so very, very good.

The Lobster - Single people get sent to a hotel where they have 45 days to find a partner or they get turned into an animal of their choosing. Don't worry though, it's much weirder than it sounds. I loved the first half, liked the second half.

Cinema:

Pacific Rim Uprising: Despite the horrific acting, I loved the first Pacific Rim. I will say that the acting in this sequel is easily better, but that's the only thing that is. Terrible story, and bad camera work which doesn't allow for a feeling of how big these things are like in the first one. Just felt like a Transformers knock off.

Ready Player One: I recently read the book and although it is not exactly a literately classic, I have to say I enjoyed both. I saw the film twice as there is just so much to see. Story wise the book and film are very different but I felt the film had the book's spirit which was great. Not my top film of the year, but defiantly in my top 5 so far.

Isle Of Dogs: Really nice film. Love the mixed styles of animation at some points and is VERY Wes Anderson. I even went to see some of the models and sets at an exhibition in London.

Ghost Stories: I was a bit disappointed by this as I'd heard such good things about the play it was based on. The cast were great but ultimately the story and script were poor. It had a few good suspense moments in the first story, but other than that I was not impressed.

Rampage: Terrible story, terrible acting, based on a video game I've never even played. Why the hell did I enjoy this so much?! I do have a fondness for giant monsters destroying cities, but with that in mind, I would have enjoyed Pacific Rim 2 more? I don't know. There is just a stupidness to Rampage that I really liked. And who doesn't like The Rock? (even when they do think he is a good casting as a zoologist!) 

• Like 1

After promising myself I wouldn't watch it under any circumstances I somehow find myself in front of the silver screen watching "Rampage".   Although the film was silly, stupid and the acting at times was terrible, there is something about Dwayne Johnson that just pulls you in and you walk away after a couple of hours thinking well it wasn't that bad.

No wonder he is the most bankable star in Hollywood at the moment.

All in All it wasn't the worst film I've seen in the cinema this year that title belongs to Pacific Rim Uprising apart from wanting to cash in on success of the first movie there was no point for this film to be made

I would love to see Johnson in a more serious movie where he's talent is stretched,  he proved in "The Snitch" he can do it..

Mindhorn (2016)

Julian Barratt as Richard Thorncroft is Mindhorn- he can literally "see the truth."

Steve Coogan as Peter Easterman is " Windjammer" (sidekick who made it big).

Ridley Scott is Exec. Producer. Ken Brannagh, Simon Callow and that bloke from "Horrible Histories"  are in it.

What more do you need to know- very funny British comedy.

Avengers: Infinity War was very good and great to see all the characters again. My only complaint that it was too heavy on the CGI effects again. I prefer the superhero movies set on earth :spidy: