Films watched in 2018

Raylenth

Cloverfield Paradox - A mediocre film that feels shoehorned into the franchise.  It has one micro mention of how they have potentially retconned 1 & 2 into what happens in this film but hopefully if there's a 4th we may get more of an explanation.

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 6:51 AM, Raylenth said:

Cloverfield Paradox - A mediocre film that feels shoehorned into the franchise.  It has one micro mention of how they have potentially retconned 1 & 2 into what happens in this film but hopefully if there's a 4th we may get more of an explanation.

Saw it was on Netflix. Thanks for the heads-up, will avoid!

35 minutes ago, Bumper8 said:

Saw it was on Netflix. Thanks for the heads-up, will avoid!

I wouldn't say don't watch it, it's not truly awful, just something I felt 'meh' about and won't watch again.  I have an issue with one  main plot point and think that it's no where as good as the first 2 but each film is meant to be distinctly different to each other.

If you like the first 2 it's worth watching just for the explanation of how they all 'probably' connect together and you may well love it.  And if you have Netflix, which I presume you have, at least it's free to see it :D

Edited by Raylenth
  • Like 1

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - This franchise just isn't for me I guess. Just like the first one I got bored, but I did prefer the ending what with the emotion and all.

Kong: Skull Island - I liked some bits, but mostly kinda rubbish.

Lego Batman - Nowhere near as enjoyable as the first, but fine.

Into the Woods - I enjoyed it on the whole, but just because actors can carry a tune it doesn't mean they can emote through song (I'm looking at you Kendrick, Blunt and Corden).

Beauty and the Beast - Emma Watson is a terrible actress. Just awful. The beast looked more realistic in the original animation. A disappointing film all round.

I also watched films with the initials 'WBA 2' and 'TROUS' but I can't remember what they were. Any ideas?

8 minutes ago, natedammit said:

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - This franchise just isn't for me I guess. Just like the first one I got bored, but I did prefer the ending what with the emotion and all. You have no taste.

Into the Woods - I enjoyed it on the whole, but just because actors can carry a tune it doesn't mean they can emote through song (I'm looking at you Kendrick, Blunt and Corden). You have no taste

4 minutes ago, Wrong Name said:
5 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Wrongnames' Brilliant Arses 2

Umm...How many do you think I have?! I am anatomically correct, thank you very much!!

No, I have seen that actually, it's just you showing pictures of your favourite arses (male and female). You hold up a picture, smile and say "brilliant". Over and over again. For four hours.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, natedammit said:

I also watched films with the initials 'WBA 2' and 'TROUS' but I can't remember what they were. Any ideas?

WBA 2 = Wombles Bad-Rubbish Analogy 2

TROUS = Tinkerbell Really Oughta Understand Size-ratios

27 minutes ago, Raylenth said:
32 minutes ago, natedammit said:

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - This franchise just isn't for me I guess. Just like the first one I got bored, but I did prefer the ending what with the emotion and all. You have no taste.

Into the Woods - I enjoyed it on the whole, but just because actors can carry a tune it doesn't mean they can emote through song (I'm looking at you Kendrick, Blunt and Corden). You have no taste

I like Drax. I hate Rocket. Star-Lord, the green one and her blue sister don't interest me at all. Kurt Russell was pointless. The yellow slug lady was funny. I enjoy the fact that Kurt from Gilmore Girls is in it. The storylines of both are guff (which is fine, it's not a storyline kind of film). They're not rubbish films - they just do nothing for me (and I like all the other Marvel franchises).

I liked Into the Woods, just let down a bit by the fact that hiring an actor who can sing is fine for Pitch Perfect or a Disney animation, but this was a proper musical and I thought they were lacking (especially Emily Blunt unfortunately). I thought the kids were good in it though.

Fifty Shades Freed was a good climax to the series. It did have more drama than the previous movies and more tension although it wasn't quite as good as the first two. If you are fan of the films or books I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Edited by Daniel

Been sick recently so I haven't made it to the cinema much so most of these I watched at home, most were not for the first time:

Cinema:

Coco: I think this has to be my favourite film of the year so far. Pixar at it's best, a must see.

The Greatest Showman: Not a fan. The sound mixing was terrible so it was hard to understand the lyrics in the songs. Why does this film want us to love someone who was obviously a horrible person?

Home:

Jigsaw: It was another Saw film. It felt very unnecessary as the story was finished, but they made it anyway and it hit all the usual beats and didn't try to do anything different.

Geostorm: Very forgettable and pointless excuse to make another film where weather nearly destroys the earth.

Professor Marsten and the Wonder Women: This was not at all what I though it was about (Wonder Woman has very little to do with it) but still a complelling story of of her creator that I did enjoy.

Captain America: Civil War: A quick reminder in preparation of Black Panther and Infinity War. 

Spider-Man Homecoming: Felt natural to move onto after Civil War.

Suicide Squad: My first time watching the extended version, and I still think this film got a hard time. Yes the villain is very poor but I really liked the team and the feel of the film. I even like Jared Leto's Joker, although it is probably the weakest one we've seen on screen.

Alien Covenant: Yup, still hate it.

All The President's Men: Wanted to watch again after seeing the Post and it follows on nicely.

Mother!: This was stupid. I knew nothing about it before watching but it slaps you in the face several times from the middle onwards as to it's true meaning and I just hated it.

The Big Sick: Loved this. Really sweet rom com based on a true story. Worth a watch.

Sixteen Candles: I hadn't seen this before but does the job of being a John Hughes movie very well!

The Cloverfield Paradox: I can understand criticism of this film but I really enjoyed it and found it worthy of the franchise. I look forward to where it goes next.

Cloverfield: Had to have a rewatch of one of my favourite monster movies after watching the sequel!

My Cousin Rachael: A period drama that can be very uncomfortable at times. One I probably won't watch again.

Black Panther.  It's brilliant, well written and the visuals are excellent.  The actors all stood out, particularly the ladies and their characters.

There's 2 post credit scenes and 1 is right at the very end, so you do need to stay through all the credits.

7 hours ago, Raylenth said:

Black Panther.  It's brilliant, well written and the visuals are excellent.  The actors all stood out, particularly the ladies and their characters.

There's 2 post credit scenes and 1 is right at the very end, so you do need to stay through all the credits.

Could you just confirm for me if the rest of the Thundercats are in it?