Twice Upon A Time

The Friendly Dalek

What did everyone think of this episode? Personally I loved it. Capaldi and David Bradley were both excellent, and Capaldi's closing speech was superb. Only real issue was an uninteresting villain, but there was no time to make a complex villain and give both Doctors enough to do, so I get why it happened like that. So, what did you all think?

• 8 months later...

An upscale on a 4K TV will still provide a slightly better picture than a normal Blu-ray on a 1080p TV but the trouble with these upscales is that they are not that complicated (technically) a process and if your existing player has upscaling built in (which it almost certainly will unless it’s an old player) then it will upscale every 1080p show you play to 4K anyway and the result will look the same as if you purchased a (professionally) upscale disc. My fairly cheap Hisense TV even has a built in feature to do it with moderate results. I have 2 copies of Bladerunner 2049 one in UHD 4K and 1 on 1080p blu-Ray. They both look identical on my 65” 4K tv in terms of picture quality (sharpness etc). The REAL difference in quality has nothing to do with 2160 lines over 1080 or UHD it is HDR which players cannot add. This release DOES apparently have HDR so there will be a difference and it will be worth purchasing. This is the feature of 4K that has made the difference but everyone gets hung up on UHD and 4K. It massively changes the dynamic colour ranges of the movie and on a 4K TV makes the contrast in the picture stunning. 

• 9 months later...