Event Security Update

• Showmasters Admin
Following the security incidents in Manchester and London earlier in the year, the Metro Arena have amended their security policy in terms of access to the venue and the items that the public can bring in. The key item is that back packs and suitcases are not permitted at the arena. A link to the new restrictions are given below.

http://www.metroradioarena.co.uk/venue-information/venue-safety/

We are aware that this may impact on those of you who are bringing costumes in the show which require larger bags. It will still be possible to bring large costume bags to the show but these will be subject to additional searches and most importantly you will need to register in advance to say that you intend to bring such an item.

To register please complete the following simple form before 10pm on Friday evening (20th October)

https://www.showmastersevents.com/index.php?option=com_chronoforms5&chronoform=costumebagdeclarationform

Please note there are no cloakroom facilities at the show, so if you bring an item that does comply with the venue guidelines or you have not registered you may be turned away.

Showmasters and the Metro Arena want everybody to have a safe and enjoyable weekend and thank you for your cooperation in this matter

The Showmasters team

Ok, need some advise here.
If you read their bag regulations, they are basically saying that they're not going to let in bags, not just big bags and backpacks, but also laptopbags, which i use to transport my large photos and tube.
Are they expecting me to carry the stuff in my arms?
If this is the case i need to know this, because that is not going to be possible, i have a LOT of stuff to get signed.

They were taking kids tiny backpacks off parents at Disney on Ice (if you wanted to get in) and binning them, anuthing with two staps they were doing it with.  Being very picky who they did it with and really letting others through with almost no checking at all.

The Inconsistency is ridiculous. Do everyone or no one if security if a priority.

Even Manchester is not going this far as I was there the other day for a gig. 

A good search is all that is required.

• Like 1

It is a bit of a nightmare for me as I'm travelling from Ireland and have my two children with me.... I can't check in to our hotel before 3pm so I'm going to have to make my way to our hotel when we land at 8am and ask them to hold the bag, making me late to enter the arena... I think searching a bag should suffice really as I have pearl mackie merchandise that I will now have to transport in carrier bags with the risk of rain. To tell the truth, only for pearl mackie I would pull out of the entire event but hey, its pearl so I will jump through hoops.  X

Edited by Hanklily

We are aware that this may impact on those of you who are bringing costumes in the show which require larger bags. It will still be possible to bring large costume bags to the show but these will be subject to additional searches and most importantly you will need to register in advance to say that you intend to bring such an item.

To register please complete the following simple form before 10pm on Friday evening (20th October)

is there a place to put these larger bags   ,or does this mean you can bring in a back pack.....

I've message the arena about the back pack I was going to take and this is the reply

Please do not bring backpacks of any size or large bags, as these will not be allowed into the arena.

You are permitted to bring small bags or handbags no larger than 35cm x 40cm x 19cm (approx A3 size piece of paper).

2 minutes ago, stuart0412 said:

I've message the arena about the back pack I was going to take and this is the reply

Please do not bring backpacks of any size or large bags, as these will not be allowed into the arena.

You are permitted to bring small bags or handbags no larger than 35cm x 40cm x 19cm (approx A3 size piece of paper).

was thinking about the ones who  register, can they take backpacks and larger bags

15 minutes ago, gosh said:

was thinking about the ones who  register, can they take backpacks and larger bags

The first post gives all the details the mods know. If you register you can bring "costume bags." Unfortunately we do not have the definition of the word "costume bag", sorry.

I can only hope anyone who has bought online tickets is emailed these new instructions. As it is going to cause some disruption on the day to say the least.

I fear bad media coverage already, not what cons need at all. Even if it is not Showmasters fault they will take the flack sadly.

Metro Arena are literally pushing paying punters away and knowing con goers the internet will go crazy on the day.

They have emailed the online ticker holders (it's how I found out at first)

Regarding the arena, they did say I was allowed a messenger bag as long as it was within the measurements of 35cm x 40cm x 19cm (approx A3 size piece of paper) and that it was to be searched and worn on the side at all times. Will be making sure I snapshot those messages when going in just encase they try to stop me. 

I still find this inconvienent for a lot of people, I mean, I'm travelling down from Glasgow early in the morning for this event and going back in the evening after the show (worth it for Pearl Mackie) so it's kind of crap that they didn't notify anyone of this a little while before as I feel it is a bit short notice.

• Thanks 1

They are being very strict with bag size. I’ve got like a satchel/messenger laptop bag that’s only big enough to hold A4 and the 2 guys at the bottom of the steps almost didn’t let me through with it. Eventually they let me go up and they said it would be down to the security team right outside the venue.

Thankfully I’ve been through a bag search and a scan and no one’s stopped me. But do beware as if it isn’t a handbag or carrier bag you may be stopped.