Thanks Showmasters

I just wanted to post a wee note to SM to thank them for another good Glasgow FCC over the weekend, given there has been some criticism over the perceived poor guest line-up this year.  My partner and I went on the Sunday and yes, it was quieter than in previous years (although admittedly we do normally go on the Saturday), but it allowed us more time with the guests we met, and meant we had more space to get in to look at stalls.  The variety of what was on offer for buying was good and the staffing was really friendly and adequate.  The three guests I met - Ian Beattie, Staz Nair and Mark Rolston - were three of the nicest guys you could ever talk to, in or out of a con, and overall, it was a fun day out.  Obviously I would love it if the guest line-up was bigger and better still, but as Brasco said after being on the Saturday, it's horses for courses.  London and Birmingham are the biggies for SM each year and would love Glasgow to start to get up there with them, but people in Sheffield, Newcastle, Cardiff, etc. will likely all say the same about their show, so I get that it's not easy.  It was really good to see Glasgow is still on the calendar for 2018; can't wait to go back.  Thanks again SM :thumbup:

Edited by BarcaScot
Typo
  • Like 6

I would also like to thank showmasters,crew and cosplayers for another great convention the guests were all really nice,it was quieter than usual but me and my mum,siste,nephew thought it was better too as we could have a good look at the stalls and more time talking to the guests,I would love bigger guests too but I completely understand what might not be a big guest for some might be a massive guest for others and cmk and lfcc are the big cons,I'm looking forward to next year :D

• Like 4

I spoke to some vendors I bought some items off and they said is was quieter than usual probably due to the poor line up this year  and all the cancelations. .This was the first time I have went to Braehead and not have to stand in a big que to get in !!.  I have been going to these events since the beginning(before the Film and comic con it was Collectormania and before that it was Memorabilia) and every time there was a great guest. Lance Henriksen a couple of years ago made my day.  There is no getting away with it the lack of guests was noticed by many . The atmosphere in the place was great don't get me wrong.   Scotland this year was let down  and with humble respect to the guests that were there. Met Frazer Hines before and met him again .A real gent and did a great talk. Met Nicola Bryant before and met her again. Great guest. Met Richard Franklin for the first time. Really nice person to meet. And that for me was it. So come on Jason make it up to us for 2018.  Looking forward to next year. I hope.

• Like 3

I would also like to say that SM did a great job this year. My boyfriend and I did Sunday and we usually do Saturday so not sure how busy the first day had been. Sunday was busy but not mobbed which was a nice change as it meant we could take our time and see all the stalls. We had been at LFCC and we both felt there was more we wanted to buy because we could get into the stalls and even though GFCC has less stalls than LFCC, there did seem to be more variety. Sure, we have been spoiled the last few years with the awesome guests like Sean Astin, Margot Kidder, Lance Henrikson etc however we both felt that without the higher profile guests we had a more personal experience with the guests this year and got more time with them. We were both unsure whether to attend this year but we enjoyed it just as much, everyone we met was lovely and the crew were great. The day is what you make it. 

Having said all that I look forward to SM announcing some huge amazing guests next year to highten the GFCC profile.....Rory McCann would be a good start :D

Thanks SM for another great year B)

• Like 4

Thanks staff & crew always helpful. Hopefully Jason will post something on here to explain why this year was so poor compared to last 3 years. No headliners..for me personally it felt like the first ever Glasgow con all over again☹ 

• Like 1

I was there on Sunday & i agree with those that say it wasn't as busy as previous years. I think 1 of the issues this year was the bulk of the guests were only doing 1 day. In the past you may have had a few that were either doing a Saturday or Sunday but this year it was alot more than usual. Hopefully next year will be better

Edited by Gerry d
  • Like 1

On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:26 AM, DavidB said:

I don't think there's anything to explain. Lineup is down to personal taste as always.

It's not as simple as saying its all down to personal taste David.

All the guests this year were of the "lower tier" price range for want of a better description.

I did enjoy the con and enjoyed meeting the guests,but it would be nice to see a bigger name or two next year.

Malky made a reasonable point.

• Like 1