A Newbie Writes...

Well hello everyone! I went because I might never have another chance to see Benedict - and was fairly overwhelmed by the size of it all! Never been to Olympia before, and maybe it's because I'm not a Londoner, I had trouble finding my way in - found 2 gold pass entrance doors, but they were all shuttered-up. Took a long, long walk to find a way in, and then it turned out there was an open gold entrance, out of sight of the shuttered ones, but right near to them :rolleyes: Some arrows stuck on those closed shutters would have been helpful!

I gather in previous years there's been a quiet room, with chairs for punters, but not this year. Well I sure don't want to sit on the floor at my age, it's a bit hard to get up again! Not providing chairs is ignoring the needs of an age-group known for having a fair bit of disposable income, you know!

One other problem - when I'd had enough on Saturday and needed to leave, had difficulty getting out onto the street - guards were totally preventing this at one exit, and it was a long time before I found another. Ah, the joys of being a newbie, and an-out-of-towner to boot!

Okay, I didn't come here just to moan! These events are a fantastic opportunity for all sorts of people with all sorts of reasons for attending, and yes, I might well go again, for a particular favourite. It would be a bit easier another time, having learned my way around. Oh, and I figured-out what those lines on the floor were for! Guests and attendees were great, and the crew were excellent. Yes, the crew were very good at their essential jobs, making it all work!

Any more Newbies with anything to add?

This year was my second ever event!  At my first event two years ago, I got confused on where to go.  However, that was partly my fault for not being very well organized!  This year, though, I was very organized!  I knew the times of all my photo-shoot sessions, knew where they would be, and knew how the virtual queuing system works.  If I had been very well organized at my first event, I would have been fine!  At both events, though, the staff were great!  Believe me, your second event will be easier! :smile:

• Like 1

On 7 August 2017 at 10:35 PM, Full Metal Jackie said:

Well hello everyone! I went because I might never have another chance to see Benedict - and was fairly overwhelmed by the size of it all! Never been to Olympia before, and maybe it's because I'm not a Londoner, I had trouble finding my way in - found 2 gold pass entrance doors, but they were all shuttered-up. Took a long, long walk to find a way in, and then it turned out there was an open gold entrance, out of sight of the shuttered ones, but right near to them :rolleyes: Some arrows stuck on those closed shutters would have been helpful!

I gather in previous years there's been a quiet room, with chairs for punters, but not this year. Well I sure don't want to sit on the floor at my age, it's a bit hard to get up again! Not providing chairs is ignoring the needs of an age-group known for having a fair bit of disposable income, you know!

One other problem - when I'd had enough on Saturday and needed to leave, had difficulty getting out onto the street - guards were totally preventing this at one exit, and it was a long time before I found another. Ah, the joys of being a newbie, and an-out-of-towner to boot!

Okay, I didn't come here just to moan! These events are a fantastic opportunity for all sorts of people with all sorts of reasons for attending, and yes, I might well go again, for a particular favourite. It would be a bit easier another time, having learned my way around. Oh, and I figured-out what those lines on the floor were for! Guests and attendees were great, and the crew were excellent. Yes, the crew were very good at their essential jobs, making it all work!

Any more Newbies with anything to add?

I found my first London Con a bit overwhelming as well. It does get easier with each one!

In regards to finding somewhere to sit down. I go to the cosplay talk area. Not too loud, plenty of chairs and good place to chill out. I am getting on a bit now so find it much better than sitting on the floor!