Hotels near Olympia

gazths1

Next year I am considering staying in a Hotel somewhere near the Olympia for LFCC.  This year I stayed at my sisters near Watford which was a bit of a trek. When I got back on the Saturday I felt so exhausted I didn't feel like going on the Sunday. Which would have wasted a lot of money, but thankfully Sunday morning I felt a bit better.

I will most likely be staying in the Hotel on my own, I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I won't be making a decision to soon, so I have time to ponder.

There's the Hilton right next door, bit pricey at the mo, but they can have offers on around October time or so. We got ours a bit cheaper last year in December last year. Then there's the Premiere Inn Kensington, W14 (8 minutes walk away for W14) and there's Hotel Novotel and Hitel Ibis London Shepherds Bush. That'd just be a few I'm aware of and I think others on here have stayed in these, too. :smile:

Edited by wjbleming
  • Like 2

I do recommend the W14 hotel. Was very comfy, while it was compact, you didnt feel cramped. Walking distance wasnt too bad, pretty much half way between olympia and barons court (tube station). They also offer book now pay later with free cancellation should you not want to stay there in the long run, but is helpful if you want to secure a room for now.

Breakfast was fairly decent for a Continental style, gave you enough to get the day going and keep you going for most of the day. 

Depends on how much you want to spend and what quality of hotel you want.

Some lower end rooms near by are very cheap. Some nicer places are nearer and vastly more in price.

So if anyone can find a cheapo place near that is refundable if dates change, let me know :-D

7 minutes ago, GoldenGrego said:

I stayed at the Hilton and it was meh. Would be alright for a one nighter. No wifi, bathroom was a bit grim, but breakfast was nice. 

Stayed at the Hilton Olympia ourselves this year. No complaints, really. Main gripes were the patchy WiFi (alright, we weren't there for the WiFi, but when you did need to use it, it was on and off :lol: and the lav was loud enough to hear next doors). Beds were comfy (Brother has scoliosis and found them better than the hotel we stayed in last year) and the staff were friendly, so no complaints from us. :smile:

16 minutes ago, wjbleming said:

Stayed at the Hilton Olympia ourselves this year. No complaints, really. Main gripes were the patchy WiFi (alright, we weren't there for the WiFi, but when you did need to use it, it was on and off :lol: and the lav was loud enough to hear next doors). Beds were comfy (Brother has scoliosis and found them better than the hotel we stayed in last year) and the staff were friendly, so no complaints from us. :smile:

Oh gosh we hated the beds, I'm chubby and my mate is skinny but we both found them far too soft and woke with backache :lol:
Staff were great though. Except the concierge. My gosh he was grumpy. 

5 minutes ago, GoldenGrego said:

Oh gosh we hated the beds, I'm chubby and my mate is skinny but we both found them far too soft and woke with backache :lol:
Staff were great though. Except the concierge. My gosh he was grumpy. 

Fair dos. :smile:

Think we spoke to the same concierge on the Thursday or Friday evening (can't remember which, it's all a bit of a blur. :lol:) He did seem a bit grumpy, but the one we left our bags with on the Monday was the complete opposite, friendly and was saying about the con. ^_^

• Like 1

We stayed at the K-West Hotel and Spa, excellent rooms and great facilities but not that cheap (about £120 a night). 10 minute walk. Next year we're staying at the Ibis Shepherds Bush which is just around the corner from the K-West and a lot cheaper (about £60 a night I think we got it for)

With any hotels don't just go with what booking.com offers, a lot of them have better rates if you sign up to their 'clubs' through their own websites.

With the K-West you get free room upgrades (if they can, we booked a junior double and superior double and they were both upgraded to Executive Rooms!), 10% off bar/food and a better rate. And as a hotel guest you get cheaper rates on the spa, if you want a sauna/snow room to revitalize yourself after the con!.

With Ibis (Accor group, so also works for Novatel hotels) you get a better rate and points towards freebies (works all over Europe too). 

The hotels near shepherds bush has the advantage of a lot of bars/food places nearby, I'd definitely recommend the Brewdog pub and Killer Tomato (if you like Mexican).

I stayed at the K-West as well. I didn't have the same experience though, while the couple across from us were quickly checked in and given a room upgrade, our server took 15 minutes to process our order that we'd booked through a third party and gave us a bog standard room. I guess the moral here is be careful who you book online with as results may vary.

Room was fairly quiet, but we were next to a (not very busy) train track. The bar was pretty pricey though, so it might be better to go out if you fancy drinks the night before.

On the plus side, the hotel was very near to the venue, only 5-10 minutes walk and also near to the tube station.

2 hours ago, RomeroSavini said:

Wowsers! Most I have ever paid in London was £60 a night haha

Some of them amazing. My hotel is for rest only I say :-D fun is outside!

Yeah I don't see much point in spending too much money on a room I'll hardly see, on a bed I'll spend a few hours on. Queuing early means I usually miss the breakfast too.

I don't mind hostels either, but 1-2 night stays in a hostel means you don't get the most out of them really, longer stays can be more fun.

I did forget to book a hotel the night after an event once, so spent the night around Waterloo. Which was an interesting experience. Got some amazing photos too.

Edited by TerraHawk
  • Like 1

Different horses for different courses.  Personally I love hotels and I make the most of them while I'm there.  I do the whole breakfast/afternoon tea/spa thing, its more to me than just a few hours kip, its the whole going away experience, I work hard all year, when I go away even for a few nights, I want something relaxing.  I got to LFCC late each day and I still got everything done, went to the pub quiz, theatre, comedy store, met my friends and still found time to enjoy my hotel stay :D

• Like 2