Benedict Cumberbatch Appreciation Thread

I just wanted to drop in quickly to mention how phenomenal I thought Benedict was this past weekend. Knowing how many people he was going to be seeing, I really tried to go in with low expectations, but I was completely blown away.

He was so extremely kind and gracious during his photo shoots and autograph sessions and really seemed interested in each individual interaction even though each one was only a couple seconds in length. With me, he actually initiated conversation - and follow-up questions - a few times (even though his assigned crew ended up interrupting him mid-sentence to keep him moving :blink:), which was really lovely and confirmed to me how much he respects his fans. I never once felt like I was just a number to him, which isn't always the case in fleeting moments like these, so that was very much noticed and appreciated!

He was also incredibly goofy and just seemed to be having a great, relaxed time throughout the whole weekend (except when he got REALLY confused about why I was telling him to feel better on Sunday morning after the crew miscommunication about touching him LOL -- though even that ended up resulting in a fun bonus conversation with him, so hey!). My heart photo with him is one of my new favorite things of all time (I've now made it my phone lock screen and can't stop laughing every time I look at it now) and it alone was worth every second of insanity that was my 30-hour whirlwind trip to London from DC, and that's not even counting the other pictures, my brief chat with him during autographs, or his absolutely wonderful talk! 

I hope he knows how much we all appreciated him taking his ENTIRE weekend just to meet us all! And THANK YOU, SM, for doing whatever it took behind the scenes to get this deal done. Although there were definitely glitches to the weekend here and there, as others have covered in the feedback threads, this was one place where you really succeeded, way more than I could have ever hoped for. 

THANK YOU!

• Like 7

I have to admit I don't really know what my expectations were. I went into my photoshoot and walked over to him, he smiled and asked me how I was and how my day had been. We took our photo and he shook my hand, thanked me for coming and hoped I enjoyed the rest of my day.

I thought that was really kind, considering the brief seconds long encounter we had. I'm super happy I got the opportunity to meet him and I can't thank SM enough for that!

I just went for generic photograph pose, but I'll treasure it forever. It's currently my work PC desktop background, it's been a great topic of conversation that's for sure! :lol:

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Lokinestro said:

It's currently my work PC desktop background, it's been a great topic of conversation that's for sure! :lol:

"That?  Oh yeah, it's just me and Benedict Cumberbatch, hanging out. You know"

• Like 2

you're right Michelle. Benedict was great. Took a few seconds time to talk even he was busy during signing.
There was only one Fangirl who ignored the rules not taking any Pictures during the autograph session - even Bodyguards warned her.

Benedicts area where good organized - so far it was possible with the crowd of fans he had :-D

• Like 1

For someone who is a huge star now, he made me feel incredibly appreciated, and all it took was 15 seconds in the afternoon photoshoot on sunday! Shaking hands, asking names just to say nice to meet you afterwards, such a true gentleman and an incredible rolemodel for anyone!

I just remember a little fun moment of when we were taking our picture together. I quickly moved my hand to point at Benedict and just before the photo was taken, Benedict noticed and quickly tried to move his hand upwards. The resulting photo has his hand lower than the position I remember he raised it to (plus his left arm is slightly blurry as a result :lol:), and I just remember him saying "You beat me to it!". Honestly, the highlight of the weekend, and a dream come true that I never considered in a million years!

• Like 4

Honestly one of the nicest people I've met he was lovely when I met him for a photo and an autograph. When I got his autograph on Sunday afternoon he even remembered me from the photo shoot the day before. Such a great guy and very funny in his talk as well.

Edited by theEmperor
  • Like 1

I was really impressed with Benedict.  Managed to sneak in and see him at 9.15 on Saturday morning where he was already signing away like a man possessed!  For a production line meet this really didn't feel as rushed as other experiences I've had in the past, he maintained eye contact, and I managed to get a little word from him about his upcoming film 'The Current War'. He is also very careful with his signature - always a bonus!  Very welcoming at his photoshoot later on and it's great that he has come to this event when his career seems to be at its peak.  A gentleman.

• Like 1

Yeah I second all the positive comments,

when i compare meeting BC to Micheal J fox who I paid £495 to meet there was no comparison, I know MJF has a condition and I know he was very far behind on the Sunday with his autographs but there was no comparison to how friendly benedict was and he was actually responsive to being spoken too.

MJF will always be one of my all time heros and so grateful he did a con and I have that opportunity. 

• Like 1

I've been fortunate enough to meet Benedict on a few occasions but given how much more famous he is now I expected things to be a bit different, a bit more detached, this time.

How wrong could I be? I shook his hand for the first time (something I've always wanted to do), and felt just as appreciated then as I did for each of the previous times. He truly is a gentleman, and a wonderful person, and I was thrilled with how the weekend went. I also wanted to say at this point that part of the fun, as a long-time fan, was seeing so many people meet him for the first time and be utterly delighted with the experience. And so many more guys!! 

• Like 2

I didn't meet him, but he walked past me with two security guards. He was going back to his autograph booth and a little boy followed trying to take a photo. I saw actors hiding their faces in situations like these, but Benedict actually turned around, waved at the little boy and said "hello". I thought that was really nice of him :-)

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Chris164 said:

For someone who is a huge star now, he made me feel incredibly appreciated, and all it took was 15 seconds in the afternoon photoshoot on sunday! Shaking hands, asking names just to say nice to meet you afterwards, such a true gentleman and an incredible rolemodel for anyone!

Pretty sums it up for me, such a lovely guy and a pleasure to meet, I hope it's not the last time.

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of his but I'm really glad to see all these nice things coming out of the weekend about him. It'd be easy for him to let exhaustion take over and be a bit of a grump towards the end of the weekend, especially with the insane amount of people he was seeing, but he didn't so major props to him for being great and giving his fans a great experience. I'm honestly really happy everyone had a great time meeting him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marie-Loup said:

I didn't meet him, but he walked past me with two security guards. He was going back to his autograph booth and a little boy followed trying to take a photo. I saw actors hiding their faces in situations like these, but Benedict actually turned around, waved at the little boy and said "hello". I thought that was really nice of him :-)

That's really sweet of him!

• Like 2

I've wanted to meet Benedict for so long and I finally got my chance last weekend, they say you should never meet your idols but I am so glad I got to meet Benedict as he was lovely. He must have been pretty tired with so many people in the photoshoot and autograph sessions but every time I met him (I ended up getting a few photos and got three things signed) he was, friendly, talkative and just came across as a genuinely nice guy! He made the short time with him feel really personal.

I got two of my drawings signed which he said were beautiful and he asked how long they took (which was about a day or so) I also got the Third Star script book signed and I told him that I'm going camping in Pembrokeshire in two weeks and will definitely visit Barafundle Bay and he said the bay, where they stayed ( I forgot) and also Tenby were lovely and that he would like to go back. I was tempted to invite him camping with us! ;)

I loved his talk on Saturday, so funny and insightful and a few times he looked over to where I was sitting (someone a few rows behind me asked a question) and it felt like he was talking directly to me, I forgot there was a whole room full of people haha.

The pictures I took from the talk are posted here :)

http://www.benedictcumberbatch.co.uk/benedict-cumberbatch-at-lfcc-2018/

• Like 4

Although it was brief, my experience with Benedict was fantastic. I didn't have much money to spend over the weekend, so opted for a photo only. I was batch 21 of the afternoon photo session on Saturday. I got there at around 16:30 and pretty much instantly joined the queue. Queued for about 45 minutes before strolling into the sectioned off area. 

Too see him standing there, I was like OMG it's Benedict! :eek:. Such an amazing actor and so diverse in every role he plays. 

It was a brief moment. I told him it was a privilege to meet him. He asked my name and said it was lovely to meet you too :wub:. I shook his hand as I walked away and thanked him.

In those few moments he portrayed himself to be as charismatic as I always thought he was and a real gentleman.

Massive :thumbup:  

• Like 4

For someone as busy as he was, he took a few minutes with everyone either in the photoshoot or getting his autograph. He was very thankful of me taping off the section of the comic to get signed. I bought the diamond pass for him and was so happy to get to meet him. A Marvel guest was what I wanted and I couldn't have been happier to meet him!

• Like 4

I was lucky enough to meet Benedict Cumberbatch at the 4.30 photo shoot on Saturday, Bearing in mind of how many people he had already met that day, He was a true gentleman, and it was great that he took that short time to speak to me, shook my hand, and was just so lovely!! And can I just say that the crew organising that queue were so good, Thank you Showmasters, Hope you get Mr Cumberbatch back again 

• Like 2

On 02/08/2017 at 3:56 AM, Michelle Zajac said:

I just wanted to drop in quickly to mention how phenomenal I thought Benedict was this past weekend. Knowing how many people he was going to be seeing, I really tried to go in with low expectations, but I was completely blown away.

He was so extremely kind and gracious during his photo shoots and autograph sessions and really seemed interested in each individual interaction even though each one was only a couple seconds in length. With me, he actually initiated conversation - and follow-up questions - a few times (even though his assigned crew ended up interrupting him mid-sentence to keep him moving :blink:), which was really lovely and confirmed to me how much he respects his fans. I never once felt like I was just a number to him, which isn't always the case in fleeting moments like these, so that was very much noticed and appreciated!

He was also incredibly goofy and just seemed to be having a great, relaxed time throughout the whole weekend (except when he got REALLY confused about why I was telling him to feel better on Sunday morning after the crew miscommunication about touching him LOL -- though even that ended up resulting in a fun bonus conversation with him, so hey!). My heart photo with him is one of my new favorite things of all time (I've now made it my phone lock screen and can't stop laughing every time I look at it now) and it alone was worth every second of insanity that was my 30-hour whirlwind trip to London from DC, and that's not even counting the other pictures, my brief chat with him during autographs, or his absolutely wonderful talk! 

I hope he knows how much we all appreciated him taking his ENTIRE weekend just to meet us all! And THANK YOU, SM, for doing whatever it took behind the scenes to get this deal done. Although there were definitely glitches to the weekend here and there, as others have covered in the feedback threads, this was one place where you really succeeded, way more than I could have ever hoped for. 

THANK YOU!

Michelle, did you know you made it onto the Radio Times website along with me and a few others? I second everything everyone's said on here. Despite the short amount of time we each had with him and the high premium, I thought he was worth every pound of it! Some of the pics on that link are hi-LAR-ious!:lol:

• Like 1

Benedict was lovely. Due to a stack of other photo ops, even though I was batch 2 I didn't get to see him until the end of the Saturday photo op. I was afraid it would be rushed at that point in the day, but Benedict still shook my hand and said hello, and then complimented my necklace after the photo. It's little things like that which the guests don't have to do but add to the experience immeasurably - giving a feeling of having a little connection, being noticed as an individual rather than just another in a long line of people to meet. I was only at the event Friday and Saturday and meeting Benedict was a wonderful end to my weekend.

• Like 1

considering how busy and popular he was i was taken aback by how friendly he was. can't be easy keeping that going especially some of the odd characters he had to endure ( one japanese girl literally screaming into his face at the photoshoot !). but he was great. welcome back anytime.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2017 at 6:50 AM, Swissangel4616 said:

you're right Michelle. Benedict was great. Took a few seconds time to talk even he was busy during signing.
There was only one Fangirl who ignored the rules not taking any Pictures during the autograph session - even Bodyguards warned her.

Benedicts area where good organized - so far it was possible with the crowd of fans he had :-D

Was this on the Saturday afternoon? I was in the queue waiting with her.  I just remember being in a daydream then all of a sudden just heard "NOPE NO PHOTOS" it was like she tried to dive over the table for a photo hahah