Feedback - Saturday problems and other things

29 minutes ago, Queen_Sindel said:

I'd like to have a few more Details on those. For the first bit, the Crew always asks People to check their photo before they leave the area and raise any issues there. It would be very unusual to experience what you are describing that often.

I don't think I was told a single time by the crew to check my photo before leaving queen, the only thing we were told if anything was to leave and sort ourselves out once we had left the booths.

The only time I was told was by the photographer who knew straight away it would need redoing.

20 minutes ago, clarenewman said:

This was my first major convention, and I had a great time! My observations were these - just things that could have made it even better?

4) I was lucky enough to get in the very tiny batch of VQ for Benedict's autograph on Saturday, but honestly, I think it was incredibly foolish to even offer them on a sold out day when you have upwards of 450 Diamond Pass holders and him doing four hours of pictures and a talk. By giving out VQ, it gave people hope, and it made them go for it. I was one, and I just got there before the swarm arrived, and watching that swarm was horrible. My opinion on that one is, if you have a guest that's sold out their pics and DPs, don't offer VQs. Takes the scrum and the risk out of it.

They certainly shouldn't have continued giving them out once past a certain point but I don't agree with that at all.  How many people a guest sees is dependent on many factors, not least of which is how many items we all ask them to sign.  It is possible, unlikely though it was that if everyone only asked for 1 thing to be signed he may have had a bit more time, even if only 20 mins extra for more VQ holders - I'm sure attendees would be pretty annoyed if they know he was free but they weren't allowed in. 

1 minute ago, Raylenth said:

I don't think I was told a single time by the crew to check my photo before leaving queen, the only thing we were told if anything was to leave and sort ourselves out once we had left the booths.

The only time I was told was by the photographer who knew straight away it would need redoing.

I stand corrected. Can you tell I have been really busy with translating that handbook? I'm going by it too much. ;)

Still I am surprised that it would take so Long to notice a bad Picture. Or I'm probably being weird again. I go "awww" at any shot for a while. :lol:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Naboo79 said:

Make it free to get a digital file of your photo op. We're already shelling out a lot of money for admission, talks, photos and autos, etc. Then charging another £5 per photo for a jpg of a photo of myself is just.. naughty

Every con I've ever attended you pay extra for the jpeg. If you have photos taken of yourself by a professional photog outside of the convention arena say for a wedding etc you get prints but you don't get the jpegs unless you pay extra. It's not naughty. It's just standard practice

7 minutes ago, Queen_Sindel said:

The latest schedule update is always marked in the thread title? I am not sure if I am understanding correctly.

I'm really sorry you missed your shoot. When David on Twitter or I on here were informed of a Change we did post about it. For the Superman duo shoot even TooTall came on to post. But unfortunately as this is a really busy Show the News just doesn't reach us and the Crew is too busy to run online.

I mean, when the schedule is updated, aswell as changing the time on the schedule, it would be better to write what has been updated, like "Julian Glover has now been moved to 11am on Saturday" or something like that.

Anyway, next year, i'll just need to check the times again when i get in :D

12 minutes ago, Naboo79 said:

And lastly a small oddity: if you tried opening this very forum on Olympia's Wi-fi, it said I was banned? :lol:

there is an ongoing technical issue with logging in on mobile devices - sometime you will get that message an not be able to proceed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

They certainly shouldn't have continued giving them out once past a certain point but I don't agree with that at all.  How many people a guest sees is dependent on many factors, not least of which is how many items we all ask them to sign.  It is possible, unlikely though it was that if everyone only asked for 1 thing to be signed he may have had a bit more time, even if only 20 mins extra for more VQ holders - I'm sure attendees would be pretty annoyed if they know he was free but they weren't allowed in. 

I get your point but I spoke to a guy in a photo queue for Benedict Wong and he had a VQ ticket number 763. To me, that just seemed crazy. And leading up to the weekend anyone asking about VQ was told that the chances of having any luck was incredibly slim - and looking at his schedule showed that clearly. Which is why I said, the organisers know he's sold out DP (I heard there were 470 of those) and all 28 batches of pictures — they could reasonably say, no VQ on Saturday.

As I understand it, he was meant to have a short break before autos and his second photoshoot but never got it because VQ were let in, and then he had to leave before he'd finished all his photos. Had he not done VQ, the people who had bought pics might not have been left empty handed.

Just my two pence worth.

1 minute ago, Raylenth said:

there is an ongoing technical issue with logging in on mobile devices - sometime you will get that message an not be able to proceed.

So much for my latest 3 hour Project would have removed that error... *sighs* Back to the drawing board.

• Like 1

Just now, clarenewman said:

I get your point but I spoke to a guy in a photo queue for Benedict Wong and he had a VQ ticket number 763. To me, that just seemed crazy. And leading up to the weekend anyone asking about VQ was told that the chances of having any luck was incredibly slim - and looking at his schedule showed that clearly. Which is why I said, the organisers know he's sold out DP (I heard there were 470 of those) and all 28 batches of pictures — they could reasonably say, no VQ on Saturday.

As I understand it, he was meant to have a short break before autos and his second photoshoot but never got it because VQ were let in, and then he had to leave before he'd finished all his photos. Had he not done VQ, the people who had bought pics might not have been left empty handed.

Just my two pence worth.

If People were warned (and Raylenth heard them) they knew what was coming. I don't know why they decided to give out the numbers they went to, but I guess they didn't want to risk anything. Ticketers have been threatened when they actually had ran out of tickets (yes, that happened before).

Unless I missed a Memo the afternoon shoot started on time. This is a Little unfair to blame the VQ ticket signing for some People not getting their photos.

7 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

This happened to me earlier, had a blind panic thinking I'd been banned for some reason!

• Like 1

Hi Q_S,

Sorry to get you in here, rather than via a PM but for some reason it says I can send 0 messages per day.

Showmasters have got a very ill guest (Adrienne King) at a hotel at Heathrow - she has come down with a very serious case of gastroenteritis and has been trying to contact Showmasters for help, with no reply.
I've tried raising assistance from Jason Joiner via Facebook and text message, again with no response.

Please, please - will someone contact Adrienne via the reception desk of her Hotel  to offer some assistance - she feels as if she has been abandoned and very alone right now. 

She needs to be right in order to get her plane back to the States tomorrow - but needs some help, right now...

If you can't do this Q_S (I'm sure you are a very, very busy person) please can you pass this on to whoever in SM is in charge of your guest's welfare for immediate attention.

Thanks so much...

Edited by Queen_Sindel
Hotel details removed
  • Like 1

Thanks Q_S,

With so many guest boarding flights today I can understand the logistics of this are going to be very difficult (especially with you in Germany!) but Adrienne has actually appealed for help - she needs to get on her plane tomorrow, to get back home.

Is there any chance you can keep trying to get someone on this case as soon as you can?  I'm 300 miles north of Adrienne myself otherwise would be doing a lot more in practical terms than this, but I'm feeling really worried for her...

:(:unsure:

Please help...

TY,
Andy

29 minutes ago, Naboo79 said:
⁃ I liked having an exclusive photo op with the Tom Wilson diamond pass, but having him stood next to a 'here lies Emmett Brown' tombstone didn't make much sense.. 

The tombstone also says..."Shot in the back by Buford Tannen over a matter of $80". Someone commented it was morbid to have Chris Lloyd having a photo taken of him smiling at this whilst for Tom it makes sense. All a matter of perspective ☺

35 minutes ago, Naboo79 said:
I had a great time at LFCC this weekend, and I was there from pretty much start to finish all three days. Great event and top notch guests. My feedback:

Pros/highlights
Good service from blue and red shirts overall
Great guests and solid line-up this year. My favs were Dean Cain, Tom Wilson and Michael Rosenbaum. Also good to see rare signers such as Terence Stamp and John Cleese, and an A-lister like Benedict
It was easy to get a vq slip, and I managed autos even with some high numbers
Good layout - with guests and photo shoots mostly away & separate from the stalls and other activities
Good signage and nice to see schedules, maps etc posted a lot of places
Nice of SM to allow Kevin Smith to have his family over - his smodcast was great (good concept with evening activities)
So nice that Alexis and Alyson gave away free, signed dvds at their talk!
Lots of space at the venue, even with massive crowds Sat and Sun
Thank you for inviting Christopher Lloyd back! He's a legend, and it was awesome to have both him and Tom there from BTTF

Cons/mishaps:
The Big Bang Theory set was a nice idea, but not that well executed in terms of size, and having it match the real set somewhat accurately. At least for £10 per person!
The area surrounding the big stage was noisy, making it difficult to hear the guest(s) speaking at times
Second stage had no AC; it was hot in there! Even some of the guests commented on it 
I liked having an exclusive photo op with the Tom Wilson diamond pass, but having him stood next to a 'here lies Emmett Brown' tombstone didn't make much sense..
The Superman group photo thing was not handled well by SM tbh. When Jack cancelled, there was no official word on whether the group op could be refunded or rebated. Only when Margot cancelled did they cancel this photo op too. A duo op with Terence and Sarah was only announced about 30 minutes before it happened (Saturday around noon). I think this should have been communicated already when Margot cancelled Friday. Very late cancellation btw!
More talks (maybe on a third stage) would have been cool. People like Tobe Hooper, Mads Mikkelsen, and John Cleese didn't get a talk
And lastly a small oddity: if you tried opening this very forum on Olympia's Wi-fi, it said I was banned? :lol:

Suggestions
Have screens around the venue, and/or a website or app, that displays real-time updates on popular guest queues, i.e. what VQ numbers they are doing, what time they will be back from breaks etc. Same for photo shoots - e.g. info about what batch is currently queing. This guy describes it better than me: http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index.php?/topic/94898-saturday-experience-and-advice-for-sm/
Make it free to get a digital file of your photo op. We're already shelling out a lot of money for admission, talks, photos and autos, etc. Then charging another £5 per photo for a jpg of a photo of myself is just.. naughty
When a guest is at a talk, provide water for them! Christopher Lloyd clearly needed it at his solo talk, and eventually the moderator/interviewer himself had to leave the stage to get a bottle for mr. Lloyd
Put up signs by the main stage, indicating where to queue for gold, diamond and standard tickets
At the entrance, have a separate entry/queue for wristband holders instead of mixing them with folks getting tickets scanned
Maybe have the busiest photo shoots in a separate room/location with plenty of space for the hundreds of people to queue. The main photo area adjacent to the main stage was very congested at times..

I hope Showmasters will read this feedback :)

i assume tom wilson was displayed with docs tombstone as he shot him...makes sense to use a prop twice too save money 

5 minutes ago, Queen_Sindel said:

I've messaged everyone I can contact.

Thanks Q_S,

Much obliged.  Real , practical support for this smashing lady is what is needed by someone at Showmasters right now - and I just hope they can provide the required level of support in 'the real world' that you provide here on the forum.

Best wishes... and really hope you can report back with good news...

I just got a message back. "On it". Hopefully she should have heard from someone now.

I've suffered from Gastroenteritis myself and that for sure is nothing to take lightly. I admire her for even wanting to try and make that flight. I was dead for over a week.

25 minutes ago, Lokinestro said:

This happened to me earlier, had a blind panic thinking I'd been banned for some reason!

Not that it helps much but if you do get banned the mods normally do email to explain :lol:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Not that it helps much but if you do get banned the mods normally do email to explain :lol:

I thought so, I was sat there thinking...have I done something wrong? The relief when I was able to get back on here :D

I love showmasters events they normally have some of the best events around I've been going to them since 2003. 

Please take this feedback on board.

However I was really disappointed with LFCC and this was mainly down to the staff there was clearly not enough and many of the staff there clearly did not know what they we're doing and we're giving misinformation out. 

There was hardly any staff in the photoshoot area batches not checked queues not sorted correctly. Normally this is one of the areas that showmasters do really well I believe this is why there was so many issues with photoshoots. Just not enough staff was put on them. 

I have heard other stories as well and again this seems to be due to staff issues,

On the saturday I got to the venue at 7am and was getting VQ tickets at just after 9. I got number 72 for Ian normally this kind of number would get you seen in first couple of hours. But Ian was still on 1-15 until the afternoon. I didn't get to see him till late afternoon. So many guests didn't hit beyond 200 vq tickets all day.

It seems that gold and diamond are both being over sold so if you want a big guest you are being made to buy them. Meaning anyone going GA doesn't really have much chance. I find this really unfair way to do this it is not fan friendly. Reports from others who have gold they don't even seem to be really that worth it as well. 

Please bring it back to a more fair way of doing events it seems the over sold photoshoots are also taking too much signing time away as well.

I meet some great guests at the weekend and had a nice time the talks we're great and JRD and Kevin Smith being hight lights. There was 2 guests we didn't get to see being Christopher Lloyd and David Bradly. We tired twice with Christopher and I'm aware he's a slow signer but having a vq of 150 you would of though would have had a bit of a chance.

7 minutes ago, Queen_Sindel said:

As Long as your E-Mail address is up to date. ;)

Could you give me a time, Lokinestro? That would help to look some things up in the logs.

Of course, it was around 10:45 this morning until around 11am.

Ah. thank you Q_S.  

So true, gastroenteritus is no picnic - even when you're home so I can only imagine how Adrienne is feeling at the minute.
Fingers crossed your guys will be helping her out now - as I know you've some good people in your company.

Thanks once again...

Just wanted to pop in and say thank you to some of the great crew that I met over the weekend. In particular the crew member that was working Matt Lucas's photoshoot on sunday...he said he hadn't had anything to eat or drink because he wanted to make sure that, that queue was running well! Luckily I had one of those massive cans of america drink and I happily asked he wanted to have it, mainly because he was doing such a great job. I can't even begin to think how some people were spoken to or treated this weekend. There was an exceptionally obnoxious woman yelling in peoples face when trying to get a VQ for Mark Williams...there was a massive surge of people and I completely understand that she was near the front but the people pushed out of the way people that were behind here which meant we then had to come side ways on...which obviously isn't my fault as i was trying to be behind her and she then screamed in my face that I was pushing in...which was just awful and then in the VQ for Alyson there was a lady with a push chair and this big guy walked right in front of her and myself to get his ticket...needless to say i wasn't having that so i reached in front of him to get a ticket which i then handed to the woman with the kid and then turned back to get mine and he virtually snatched it out of my hand...to think that the crew probably had to deal with these awful people all weekend makes me sad. So big pat on the back to all of them...i hope they are all managing to have a calm, restful day today xxx

• Like 1