First time visit

Evening all,

My family and I are attending our first convention this Sunday so we're pretty excited. Just a couple of quick questions if anyone can help clarify (I really have no idea what to expect).

- There will be four of us, but not all want the same autographs. Can we wait in line with the others even if we haven't paid for an autograph? What happens when we're near the front - do we just have to move to the side?

- Where are we not allowed to take photos?

- Are we allowed to bring our own food and drink? 

- if we buy a photo with one of the stars for both of our daughters, would they be able to do them together?

- I see there is a free talk with Tricia Helfer. How long before it starts would you recommend getting lined up for that?

- We're planning on getting there just before 9. Will we miss out greatly?

- Finally, what do we do with most of our time when not doing photos, autos or talks? Is there plenty there?

Sorry if these are stupid questions.  I honestly have no clue what it'll be like. Thank you for any help.

Edited by Milgod

9 minutes ago, Milgod said:

Evening all,

My family and I are attending our first convention this Sunday so we're pretty excited. Just a couple of quick questions if anyone can help clarify (I really have no idea what to expect).

- There will be four of us, but not all want the same autographs. Can we wait in line with the others even if we haven't paid for an autograph? What happens when we're near the front - do we just have to move to the side? If you all want to go up together you will all need passes or VQ tickets and cannot go through before the highest number has been called

- Where are we not allowed to take photos? In photo shoots or when there are signs up at the guests desk saying 'no photos'

- Are we allowed to bring our own food and drink? Yes

- if we buy a photo with one of the stars for both of our daughters, would they be able to do them together? every person in the photo needs a ticket so as long as they both have one then yes, they will get 2 photo's taken and will get 1 picture each.

- I see there is a free talk with Tricia Helfer. How long before it starts would you recommend getting lined up for that? about 20 minutes

- We're planning on getting there just before 9. Will we miss out greatly? No, VQ's may be higher though

- Finally, what do we do with most of our time when not doing photos, autos or talks? Is there plenty there? They will take up quite a bit of time but you can visit te cosplay area and look at all the stalls

Sorry if these are stupid questions.  I honestly have no clue what it'll be like. Thank you for any help.

Please see above

Edited by Raylenth
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, etmuse said:

I'd recommend checking out the FAQ thread. Most of your questions are answered in there.

I have had a look but being a complete noob to this sort of thing I wasn't sure on everything. I will have another read now.

15 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Please see above

Thank you. It's not so much a matter of wanting to all go together. I just can't leave my daughter in the queue by herself. If I get a VQ ticket, does that mean I have to buy an autograph as well?

For those who have been before, what do you prefer - autographs 

Just now, Milgod said:

Thank you. It's not so much a matter of wanting to all go together. I just can't leave my daughter in the queue by herself. If I get a VQ ticket, does that mean I have to buy an autograph as well?

For those who have been before, what do you prefer - autographs 

No you don't have to buy an auto Milgod.  How old are your daughters if you don't mind me asking?  If they are younger the crew will understand that you are accompanying them.  

It's different for everyone and you will get a different answer from everyone, many prefer photos because it's visual and proof they met the guest, others prefer auto's.  I prefer auto's as I love having cast signed items but will happily get lots of photos with my favourite guests.

• Like 1

Just now, GoldenGrego said:

On this note, I am curious, is a VQ ticket a member of staff at a desk saying "come back later", or is it like a ticket machine at the doctors or a deli counter, where you take a bit of paper with a number on? 

It's given out by a crew member and it's a small slip of paper with the guests name, day and the VQ number printed on - the day is on there because you cannot use a VQ ticket you get on one day on the next.

So a bit of both really without the machine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

No you don't have to buy an auto Milgod.  How old are your daughters if you don't mind me asking?  If they are younger the crew will understand that you are accompanying them.  

It's different for everyone and you will get a different answer from everyone, many prefer photos because it's visual and proof they met the guest, others prefer auto's.  I prefer auto's as I love having cast signed items but will happily get lots of photos with my favourite guests.

Thanks. My girls are 10 and 13. Really excited about seeing a fair few of the stars that are there. We'll book a couple of photis and play the autos how we see it on the day.

I imagine it's pretty quick turnover with autos and photos. No chance to ask a question or does it depends on how busy they are?

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Milgod said:

Thanks. My girls are 10 and 13. Really excited about seeing a fair few of the stars that are there. We'll book a couple of photis and play the autos how we see it on the day.

I imagine it's pretty quick turnover with autos and photos. No chance to ask a question or does it depends on how busy they are?

If the auto line isn't crazy long/busy, there is a chance there to ask a question or two. The photos you literally have time to say hi as you step in then the picture is taken and it's the next person's turn.

Just tagging onto this as my first con too - if we want to see the non high profile guests eg. Michael Madsen and Veroncia Cartwright for autos can we not have to get there at like 8am etc? Is that more for if you want to see Christopher Lloyd etc?

Michael I expect to be fairly busy. You can of course come any time you want. But a number of the attendees coming early for high Profile guests will want to see those guests too. So you may be in for a wait because the earlier arrivals took the low VQ tickets.

Christopher Lloyd is one of the guests I definitely recommend an early Arrival for. He is an incredibly slow signer.

• Like 1

We’re also coming for the first time on Saturday, and I was hoping I could ask a couple of questions please – sorry if I’ve missed this information somewhere...

For the free talks, whereabouts do you queue up, and could you guesstimate what’s the minimum amount of time we need to get there before the talk, to be sure we’ll get in? (I realise this will vary with the popularity of the guests – someone above suggested 20 mins for Tricia Helfer?) I’m a wheelchair user coming with a carer, if that makes a difference to where we need to go/what we need to do?

If anyone’s been to this convention in July before, can you remember what the temperature was like inside? I’ve never been to Olympia, but in my experience, conference centres are often either unbearably hot, or if it’s in the summer, icy with air conditioning, regardless of the outside temperature on the day?

1 minute ago, PifflePie said:

For the free talks, whereabouts do you queue up, and could you guesstimate what’s the minimum amount of time we need to get there before the talk, to be sure we’ll get in? (I realise this will vary with the popularity of the guests – someone above suggested 20 mins for Tricia Helfer?) I’m a wheelchair user coming with a carer, if that makes a difference to where we need to go/what we need to do?

If anyone’s been to this convention in July before, can you remember what the temperature was like inside? I’ve never been to Olympia, but in my experience, conference centres are often either unbearably hot, or if it’s in the summer, icy with air conditioning, regardless of the outside temperature on the day?

can't comment on temperature as I haven't been there myself but it is a similar concern. For your other questions regarding wheelchair access, if you haven't emailed the extra help address already, have a chat with them at the desk when you get there and all will become clear.

Thanks robmoriarty...I emailed the extra help people before buying my entry ticket, but didn't think to ask about things like access to free talks...when you say the 'desk', is there a special desk for 'extra help' do you know, or do you mean a general information desk somewhere?

13 minutes ago, PifflePie said:

We’re also coming for the first time on Saturday, and I was hoping I could ask a couple of questions please – sorry if I’ve missed this information somewhere...

As robmoriarty already said: As you are in a wheelchair you may want to visit the table of extrahelp in the "holding area" of the entrance. SM offers extra help for disabled attendees.

That holding area at Gate H is where you go to line up.

5 minutes ago, PifflePie said:

Thanks robmoriarty...I emailed the extra help people before buying my entry ticket, but didn't think to ask about things like access to free talks...when you say the 'desk', is there a special desk for 'extra help' do you know, or do you mean a general information desk somewhere?

yes, ask when you get to gate H and someone will point you in the right direction:rolleyes:

check the email reply you had back again as it has information regarding talks access.

Edited by robmoriarty