Travelling to Olympia

Just now, Mayhem said:

Just the Sunday I believe, it stretches all the way down here too, although as I won't be travelling by car then, I should hopefully avoid all the trouble!

Think it might be part of Saturday as well if I've read the map right, Mayhem. :smile:

9 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Have you tried Google Maps or TFL Rob, it's a bit much asking the venue to plan your route for you? :lol:

i'm not that thick!:lol:

Yes I have tried both, Google maps suggests a route taking me along part of the A4, yet I can't fully decipher from the overwhelming documentation on the TfL or ride London websites as to whether it will actually be closed or not on the Saturday in that direction. 

They know London better than I do. I have no choice but to travel by car, no accessible public transport options for my electric wheelchair and I don't want to get stuck somewhere if I can potentially avoid it.

Edited by robmoriarty

7 minutes ago, robmoriarty said:

yet I can't fully decipher from the overwhelming documentation on the TfL or ride London websites as to whether it will actually be closed or not on the Saturday in that direction. 

I second that, the Ride London maps can be very vague. Just the general direction they're going in. I'm guessing the W Cromwell Road will be closed but not 100% sure.

Edited by wjbleming
  • Like 1

I'm travelling down from Leeds on Friday night, staying at the Premier Inn at Heathrow airport. Even then, travelling in is half an hour at least.

Almost every time I've been down to London I've had a nightmare with traffic, access is awful for (especially visiting) wheelchair users, I will NEVER live there!

Edited by robmoriarty

39 minutes ago, wjbleming said:

I second that, the Ride London maps can be very vague. Just the general direction they're going in. I'm guessing the W Cromwell Road will be closed but not 100% sure.

Yes it is. Our hotel is on there and it goes straight outside on Saturday I believe. Being disabled, I was hoping to get a taxi the short distance but that plan is scuppered 

2 hours ago, robmoriarty said:

i've emailed the venue and asked directly if they can recommend a suggested route, especially as coming by car and know London about as well as a giant splodge on the map.

If you're coming from the South then I have some suggestions:

Park at/near Clapham Junction station and get the Overground to Kensington Olympia which is literally right by the venue.
Park at/near Richmond or Wimbledon and get the District Line to Earls Court and walk from there or get another District Line to Kensington Olympia (these don't run all the time though and I'm not sure what the current schedule is). You could get a bus for that last bit also I believe (check TfL). Also if coming from Wimbledon you could change at West Brompton and get the Overground from there.

Parking will be cheaper at car parks that are not part of the station or NCP I expect.

Hopefully this is helpful! :)

10 minutes ago, CaptainMetal666 said:

If you're coming from the South then I have some suggestions:

Park at/near Clapham Junction station and get the Overground to Kensington Olympia which is literally right by the venue.
Park at/near Richmond or Wimbledon and get the District Line to Earls Court and walk from there or get another District Line to Kensington Olympia (these don't run all the time though and I'm not sure what the current schedule is). You could get a bus for that last bit also I believe (check TfL). Also if coming from Wimbledon you could change at West Brompton and get the Overground from there.

Parking will be cheaper at car parks that are not part of the station or NCP I expect.

Hopefully this is helpful! :)

none really work for me as coming from NW. Prefer avoid tube w/ wheelchair as access poor.

buses aren't good for me either, last time I got on one I managed to break it...:unsure:

Edited by robmoriarty

My bad! Looking at a Tube map, all the stations you'd need have that wheelchair icon on them so I think that means you'll be ok. As you're coming from above London, if you're coming again try the Watford area as Watford Junction to Kensington Olympia is 45 mins with a change at Willesden Junction.

Last year, coming from the West, I used the M4 coming off at Junction 2 and used the A315 which takes you to the venue. As far as I can see the road closures are the same as last year.

30 minutes ago, CaptainMetal666 said:

My bad! Looking at a Tube map, all the stations you'd need have that wheelchair icon on them so I think that means you'll be ok. As you're coming from above London, if you're coming again try the Watford area as Watford Junction to Kensington Olympia is 45 mins with a change at Willesden Junction.

I'm liking your suggestion. Cheaper hotel at Watford Junction, and only 30 minutes in by train each way. Think I might go with that so I don't have to fight with any traffic and can cancel extortionate car park booking charge.

9 minutes ago, M.O.B. said:

Last year, coming from the West, I used the M4 coming off at Junction 2 and used the A315 which takes you to the venue. As far as I can see the road closures are the same as last year.

Yes, I saw that too. Just irritates me that for any hassle getting in there there is the £30 at the end of it for parking at the venue (even prepaid).

• Like 1

• Moderators

Nearest tube/train station is Kensington Olympia. TFL website will give you many options depending on what time you are arriving on how to travel. (It's also a fairly short walk from Earl's Court/Hammersmith) 

If you are not familiar with tube there is always the option of getting an UBER. We got one last year from Kings Cross which is only down the road from Euston and it got us there in half the time of the tube journey and we used an offer code as a new customer so it was £10 off so journey was only about £4 but that was at 7.30am on the Saturday morning. It's just another option for you

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Astro_Nut said:

One option is:

Victoria Line to Oxford Circus, change to Central Line to Shepherds Bush then change to Overground to Kensington Olympia

16 minutes ago, PenThePirate said:

Northern line one stop to Kings Cross. Picc line to Barons Court. Shorter walk than from Earls Court :) is another option. 

District line runs direct to Olympia at the weekend too 

No tube for me, access too sporadic for electric wheelchair.

12 minutes ago, andeedee said:

If you are not familiar with tube there is always the option of getting an UBER. We got one last year from Kings Cross which is only down the road from Euston and it got us there in half the time of the tube journey and we used an offer code as a new customer so it was £10 off so journey was only about £4 but that was at 7.30am on the Saturday morning. It's just another option for you

Taxis are difficult for the size of my chair. If I was getting the train in to kings cross I might consider it, but certainly not at that time in the morning!:lol:

Had the following advice from RideLondon/Olympia if you're travelling in by car via M4.

"A section of the A4 through Hammersmith is used for the route so the best route will be to take the M4 to Ceders Road, take a left onto Sutton Ct Rd, right on to Heathfield Terrance and on to Chiswick high Rd drive straight and then a left onto Dalling Rd, right on to Goldhawk RD, down on to Dewhursts Road to the Olympia."

See Raylenth, never hurts to ask!:P

36 minutes ago, robmoriarty said:

Had the following advice from RideLondon/Olympia if you're travelling in by car via M4.

"A section of the A4 through Hammersmith is used for the route so the best route will be to take the M4 to Ceders Road, take a left onto Sutton Ct Rd, right on to Heathfield Terrance and on to Chiswick high Rd drive straight and then a left onto Dalling Rd, right on to Goldhawk RD, down on to Dewhursts Road to the Olympia."

I asked my satnav.... It gave the same answer!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, robmoriarty said:

True

• Like 1