Paint Pens for Autoraphs

I know traditionally the guests sign with sharpies etc. 

But im tempted to bring my own paint pens for a thicker more colourful autograph? 

Does anyone know if these pens work well on the photos or posters or have any experience using them?

any advise or tips would be gladly appreciated.

I've tested one on an old unused 8x10 and IIRC it was fine.  You have more chance if it splodging as if the nib is pressed too firmly/moved too slowly more paint runs out but they can look nice.

Remember that drying time is a factor as well, it will take a bit longer than a sharpie.

They don't work so well on paper as the fibers absorb and split the paint, so depending on the finish of your poster it might not be a good idea to use it on that.  Ideally if you have any old photos you don't need but have never thrown away you can test the pen on those to see the effect and depending on your poster, if you can buy a cheap spare to test it on might be the best idea.

• Like 1

Sharpies are still the best IMHO. I do carry a range of colors, including the Neon ones and the metallics. I choose the colour which best contrasts what I'm asking the guest to sign and if its a non standard colour (most guests are equipped with black, blue, gold and silver) then I ask if they would mind using my pen. Though to be fair, 99% of the time, black blue, gold or silver get the job done.:)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Neon?  Ooh that sounds interesting, do you have any pics you'd be willing to share of anything signed with a neon pen?

I havent had anything signed in them yet as the Neon Sharpies are a new purchase. I had a set of 'Endless' figures signed by Neil Gaiman (about 20 years ago) in a pink neon (not a sharpie) but they are in storage - the ink has held up well on the clear cellophane front though.

The new Sharpie Neons glow under a blacklight, BTW! 

Though I don't collect autos by them, I thought it would be fun to have the Power Rangers sign in Neon!

• Like 1

Hey, I'm planning on getting a few posters signed and I'm hoping someone could help. I'd like to get one of them signed with bright green but I'm not sure what pen to use, I was going to use a uni posca paint pen but I've heard mixed reviews on them.

has anyone got any experience using uni posca paint pens on posters / prints? 

If it won't be any good on a poster are there any alternative bright green pens I could use?

thankyou :) 

Generally paint pens work best on glossy paper ( ie shiny lol ) rather than say normal paper you may use to print letters on at home if that makes sense ? So these would work very well on a poster.

And yes you do run the risk of them " Splodging " how ever they are normally fine if they are looked after and the guest isn't heavy handed !  

Although a lot of people think they take ages to dry they don't ! Its quicker than you think although best leave it for a couple of mins just to be safe. As for them drying out well I've got silver paint pens that are years old and STILL work unlike Silver Sharpies that can and have dried out in a matter of weeks ! And yes I do store them correctly ie nib down lol

So if I was you and you have found a paint pen that you like I would go for it. Just look after it, tell the guest not to be heavy handed ( in a nice way of course lol ) and when not in use store it correctly as per instructions on the pen.

• Like 1

Question - I have a Lithograph to get signed and the recommendation is that these are signed in pencil (as they bond better to the paper) 

Will guests be equipped with pencils or shall I make sure to chuck a couple in my convention kit?

(2B, or not 2B - that is the question.....)

41 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

they won't have pencils Tom so yeah you will need to bring your own.  And make sure the crew member with the guest is clear that you don't want it signed with a sharpie.

Cheers m'dears!

:)

1 minute ago, D4vem88 said:

They still write like highlighters, Raylenth. The black light just makes them fluorescent like a nightclub. 

I know, it's just unless you have a blacklight set up you then don't get that benefit so does it become pointless getting them signed in it as much as one is tempted to do so.

Yeah I was just looking at the prices and they don't seem to bad so I'm looking at the pens now.  I'll have a think about what I have to sign and if they will work on it but they aren't expensive so I may get a pack anyway.

I use the metallic the most and have my own bronzes and that one is never used at events.

2 minutes ago, Raylenth said:

Yeah I was just looking at the prices and they don't seem to bad so I'm looking at the pens now.  I'll have a think about what I have to sign and if they will work on it but they aren't expensive so I may get a pack anyway.

I use the metallic the most and have my own bronzes and that one is never used at events.

I got mine from the Amazon, cost me less than £3 for a pack of three colours. 

• Like 1

I officially hate you 3.  I have now bought myself a pack of Neon sharpies, a cheap black light and a set of blacklight Doctor Strange posters I found on Ebay.  You guys suck.  Making me spend more money.

I love you all.  Thank you!  :D

• Like 4