Security Update

jakeblue

Now this doesn't really affect me as I'm only bringing a DVD boxset but how do the new restrictions (laptop bag size) affect those who are coming in cosplay and will therefore be bringing weapons?

I know you ask that they keep such things under wraps whilst outside the venue so I'm assuming the rules will be relaxed a little for larger bags that contain replica weapons.

As I say it doesn't directly affect me but I'm curious.

The statement from the NEC says that larger bags 'may' not be allowed into the event (not specifying CM, it seems to be a general statement). I think that as long as we're all sensible in what we bring, and use the cloakrooms if we have to bring much larger bags, there shouldn't be too many problems.

I am really sorry, but this is all at the discretion of the venue. The mods have no further information than what was posted on the website.

A couple of people have e-mailed me and have mentioned having e-mailed the office without a reply. Unfortunately the office can't help either, it is really all at the discretion of the venue.

Again, a complete ban on larger bags is not in place. The security update says "may not be allowed." What will make a bag not allowable... I am sorry to repeat myself, this is at the discretion of venue security.

If you're clearly transporting an overnight stay kit I really can't see someone being refused. A proton backpack Ghostbuster style however may be a different story.

• Like 1

I have a feeling that there may be delayed getting in tomorrow.

Not that this is the fault of SMs of course it's just an unfortunate side effect of recent events and with an event of this nature there's going to be alot open to interpretation.

I should point out that my wife went to see Take That last night (not the same venue but in the same location) and said that whilst there was a visible increase in what would be normal for security it didn't hold them up too much though of course the doors opened two hours before the show was due to begin.

Edited by jakeblue

"Bags larger than a small laptop bag or handbag may not be allowed into the event"

Well I've got a rucksack coming straight from work and overnight stop leaving on 5pm train so no option but to bring it.

fingers crossed I can just store it in the cloakroom and take shirts out that needs signing in a carrier or something then.

2 minutes ago, WayneLee said:

I actually managed to get into the venue this morning without my bag being searched at all, that was through the gold pass entrance, hopefully others went through a better screening process.

What time did you enter? I was there at about 8.30am and they checked my bag which was just a shoulder one

From my own experiences today I saw people going into the event with carrier bags, hand bags, record bags, back packs and suitcases! 

I can't comment on what degree they were all searched but it did appear that backpacks and larger items were not banned.

I got to the venue at 10.55am and was not stopped by security in any shape or form despite my full rucksack. That has not happened to me for years, I was shocked and considering the current climate I do think that showmasters should bring this up with the nec

6 minutes ago, charlesberg said:

I got to the venue at 10.55am and was not stopped by security in any shape or form despite my full rucksack. That has not happened to me for years, I was shocked and considering the current climate I do think that showmasters should bring this up with the nec

I'm forwarding comments like these.

33 minutes ago, charlesberg said:

Wow! Just wow!

Shocking!

My mum and I got there at (slightly) different times - me about 9:20, her about 9:30. Bags were being checked when I went in, none being checked when she went in. Agree with a previous comment that bags weren't being checked when re-entering the event. Hope this helps!