Are you a nerd or a geek?

natedammit

Are you a nerd or a geek?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a nerd, a geek, or neither?

Back in the day people who were into sci-fi and the like were (usually insultingly) known as 'nerds'. These days the term 'geek' has risen to prominence, and has been reclaimed of sorts as something to be proud of. 'Geek Culture' is deemed cool in many circles. So how do you all see yourselves? Geek or nerd? Nerd or geek?

To be honest, I don't really know.  I don't mind Science-Fiction, but I don't know a lot about it.  I only know a little bit about it.  If it's something I know a lot about, like a certain film or television programme, then I guess I would be considered a geek like that.

Edited by ChloeLou

15 hours ago, Tony1975 said:

I suppose I would class myself as a geek when it comes to TV shows that I like. I will watch an episode and then find myself looking all the cast up from it on IMDB!

I do exactly the same thing, Tony!  I will watch an episode of a television programme that I think sounds good, then I will look up all the cast.  If I like it from the first episode, then I will carry on watching it. :smile:

• Like 1

I agree that nerd brings images of a certain kind of intelligence. Whilst I am clearly vastly intelligent, the most intelligent, I'm too cool to be a nerd. Also, both words imply a level of obsession with certain sections of culture that I just can't be bothered to have. So I'm neither.

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Kurdamoni said:

Geek has a more positive ring to it :P

Not the way I say it.

Btw, just looking at who voted for each category I'm pretty sure that if you put the 'Nerds', 'Geeks' and 'Neithers' in an Anchorman style fight - the Neithers would whoop all your posteriors.

20 minutes ago, natedammit said:

Not the way I say it.

Btw, just looking at who voted for each category I'm pretty sure that if you put the 'Nerds', 'Geeks' and 'Neithers' in an Anchorman style fight - the Neithers would whoop all your posteriors.

I agree with that assessment.

• Like 1