Doctor ranking

The Friendly Dalek

From my faviourite to my least favourite (Keep in mind, I do not hate any Doctor, I think they are all great in their own way.) :

1. Peter Capaldi

2. William Hartnell

3. Tom Baker

4. Colin Baker

5.David Tennant

6. Paul Mcgann

7. Patrick Troughton

9. Sylvestor Mccoy

10 John Hurt

11. Christopher Eccleston

12. John Pertwee

13. Matt Smith

14. Jodie Whitaker

• Like 2

My ranking has changed slightly, so here's my current updated one. :D

1) Patrick Troughton

2) Tom Baker

3) Jon Pertwee (these top 3 can change depending on what day you ask me. :lol: They are the peak in my eyes.)

4) Colin Baker

5) Sylvester McCoy

6) Christopher Eccleston

7) Peter Capaldi

8) Paul McGann

9) William Hartnell

10) Peter Davison

11) David Tennant

12) John Hurt

13) Matt Smith

14) Jodie Whittaker

• Like 2

Love a good list. Bearing in mind I like all the Doctors just some more than others. 

1) Peter Capaldi

2) Tom Baker

3) Colin Baker

4) Sylvester McCoy

5) Christopher Eccleston

6) Peter Davison

7) David Tennant

8) Paul McGann

9) Matt Smith

10) John Hurt

11) Jodie Whittaker

I haven't counted the first three as I have not seen their episodes (shocking I know - I will rectify this one day). Matt Smith has climbed one place thanks to your recent reviews Mr Dalek. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr.1963 said:

From my faviourite to my least favourite (Keep in mind, I do not hate any Doctor, I think they are all great in their own way.) :

1. Peter Capaldi

2. William Hartnell

3. Tom Baker

4. Colin Baker

5.David Tennant

6. Paul Mcgann

7. Patrick Troughton

9. Sylvestor Mccoy

10 John Hurt

11. Christopher Eccleston

12. John Pertwee

13. Matt Smith

14. Jodie Whitaker

Nice to see some well deserved appreciation for Peter Capaldi :D

I might as well join in being a whovian too, Doctor who was actually the first geek based thing that got me into this life, so here is my list 

1) Peter Capaldi

2)David Tennant 

3)Matt Smith 

4)Christopher Eccleston

5)Paul McGann

6)Tom Baker 

7)William Hartnell 

8)John Hurt 

9)Jon Pertwee

10)Sylvester McCoy 

11)Peter Davison 

12)Patrick Troughton 

13)Colin Baker

14)Jodie Whittaker

based on the storylines they had and the character performance, and with this show everyone has their doctor and mine is Peter Capaldi, being Scottish myself I am slightly bias but also thought he was just amazing in his time on Doctor Who, also Sorry Jodie, I loved her in broadchurch but I just really didn’t enjoy her first season as the doctor, chibnall has two seasons to make her one of the most loved Doctors ever, because we all know she will no doubt follow the rule of leaving after three seasons. But there’s my list, thanks everyone 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Peter Capaldi Fan said:

I haven't counted the first three as I have not seen their episodes (shocking I know - I will rectify this one day). Matt Smith has climbed one place thanks to your recent reviews Mr Dalek. 

Good to know that my marathon has improved your opinion on one of the Doctor's at least. :D

I too love all of the Doctors, bar one right now. I'd say that all of the Doctor's have factors or episodes which could make them my number one, except for 13. Some of my favourite episodes are Smith era stories, and Smith himself is amazing. As much as I wanted to love Jodie, her series was poor.  Hopefully Series 12 improves, and changes my opinion on 13. 

7 minutes ago, GreenArrow2046 said:

I might as well join in being a whovian too, Doctor who was actually the first geek based thing that got me into this life, so here is my list 

1) Peter Capaldi

2)David Tennant 

3)Matt Smith 

4)Christopher Eccleston

5)Paul McGann

6)Tom Baker 

7)William Hartnell 

8)John Hurt 

9)Jon Pertwee

10)Sylvester McCoy 

11)Peter Davison 

12)Patrick Troughton 

13)Colin Baker

14)Jodie Whittaker

based on the storylines they had and the character performance, and with this show everyone has their doctor and mine is Peter Capaldi, being Scottish myself I am slightly bias but also thought he was just amazing in his time on Doctor Who, also Sorry Jodie, I loved her in broadchurch but I just really didn’t enjoy her first season as the doctor, chibnall has two seasons to make her one of the most loved Doctors ever, because we all know she will no doubt follow the rule of leaving after three seasons. But there’s my list, thanks everyone 

Good list. :thumbup:

I see you're more of a modern Who type of person. :P

I'm surprised to see McGann that high. Have you listened to Big Finish, or is that position based on the tv movie alone? 

That's another thing I love about this show. Colin and Patrick are among my top favourites, but you have them near the bottom. I love how different people can have such vastly different views on the same show. Disagreements like these make this type of ranking interesting. :D

Edited by The Friendly Dalek

39 minutes ago, The Friendly Dalek said:

Good list. :thumbup:

I see you're more of a modern Who type of person. :P

I'm surprised to see McGann that high. Have you listened to Big Finish, or is that position based on the tv movie alone? 

That's another thing I love about this show. Colin and Patrick are among my top favourites, but you have them near the bottom. I love how different people can have such vastly different views on the same show. Disagreements like these make this type of ranking interesting. :D

Thanks, I have McGann high up because of the TV movie and the night of the doctor special, I remember one night when I was younger sitting watching tv and seeing a strange listing in the TV guide that said doctor who the movie on watch (back when W was watch). It was a school night but that didn’t stop me from staying up to watch it because it started slightly late if I remember correctly, through those two performances I felt I knew his doctor better than I know Jodie’s at the moment, and I haven’t listened to the audiobooks, it’s something I may consider in the future because I know they fill gaps in timelines.

and Colin and Patrick are down low simply because I don’t feel I’ve watched enough of their doctors to put them any higher, I intend to watch any stories I’ve missed sometime in the future.

Also not sure if any of you remember this, but in the UK there was a time a good few years ago now that a channel called Horror started playing classic Who, that’s where I was able to get a hold of most of mine as I didn’t want to have to purchase them outright for a first time watch, but yeh that’s just something random I out in there to see if anyone remembers that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GreenArrow2046 said:

Thanks, I have McGann high up because of the TV movie and the night of the doctor special, I remember one night when I was younger sitting watching tv and seeing a strange listing in the TV guide that said doctor who the movie on watch (back when W was watch). It was a school night but that didn’t stop me from staying up to watch it because it started slightly late if I remember correctly, through those two performances I felt I knew his doctor better than I know Jodie’s at the moment, and I haven’t listened to the audiobooks, it’s something I may consider in the future because I know they fill gaps in timelines.

and Colin and Patrick are down low simply because I don’t feel I’ve watched enough of their doctors to put them any higher, I intend to watch any stories I’ve missed sometime in the future.

Also not sure if any of you remember this, but in the UK there was a time a good few years ago now that a channel called Horror started playing classic Who, that’s where I was able to get a hold of most of mine as I didn’t want to have to purchase them outright for a first time watch, but yeh that’s just something random I out in there to see if anyone remembers that.

That's a pretty cool story regarding the McGann tv movie. 

The Big Finish audios are certainly worth a listen to if you're interested. Sadly Colin didn't get much of a chance on tv, with only two total seasons, and most of Troughton's era no longer exists, but it's well worth seeing what they do have.

And I certainly remember watching classic Who on the Horror channel. They still show Star Trek: The Original Series on there. I have no clue why they air old sci-fi shows on the horror channel. :lol:

On 8/24/2018 at 8:46 AM, natedammit said:

1) Colin Baker

2) Tom Baker

3) Peter Capaldi

4) Peter Davison

5) Christopher Eccleston

6) William Hartnell

7) John Hurt

8) Sylvester McCoy

9) Paul McGann

10) Jon Pertwee

11) Matt Smith 

12) David Tennant

13) Patrick Troughton

14) Jodie Whitaker

I thought I'd better update my list.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:24 PM, Ravogd said:

I am not a fan of ranking doctors. Me it’s more story to story. The doctor is the doctor no matter who is playing him (or her, not sure what gender terms to use now)

I feel similar. I do have one or two as overall favorites but when it comes to ranking them I cant really do it. I love each of the versions of the doctor.

My overall favorites are : David Tennant and Tom Baker.

Edited by maegurwen
  • Like 1

While I echo the above sentiments of taking each Doctor on a story-to-story basis, if I absolutely had to choose, it would be as follows:

Matt Smith

David Tennant

Tom Baker

Peter Capaldi

Jon Pertwee

Peter Davison

William Hartnell

Patrick Troughton

Sylvester McCoy

Colin Baker

Paul McGann

Jodie Whittaker