Hi all Newbie here!

gazths1

Don't worry, we dont bite :poki:

Zonky is lying... she does bite, but only if you ask nicely (or are Swedish!)

Welcome, welcome! As mentioned planning, preparation, comfy shoes. All good tips. Also, don't discount the miraculous powers of having deodorant and chewing gum with you (con survival guide items: #7 and #8).

Also, yes! The meet ups! Thursday night will be fabulous for all, and the Saturday is the increasingly popular Annual Forum Meet Up and Great LFCC Geek Off. We want as many people as possible to come along and enjoy a raucous shindig so have a look at the thread for that.

We have a separate wee thread on here and on the Saturday our king of the geeks PenthePirate is hosting a fabulous pub quiz again.

King of the Geeks... shucks... I just come along for the burger ;)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

If you aren't interested in autographs you might want to opt for the late entry tickets which are cheaper. if you're getting autographs it's important to arrive early to get an early place in the virtual queue, but if you aren't getting autographs you can arrive late, no problem. Only problem is if a talk you want to go to is before your ticket entry time. But I think you'll be able to upgrade your ticket to early access if that is the case.

Another thing is that it is traditionally very hot inside the con area, due to the large number of people. Last year was a bit of an exception, since they got a larger area, so maybe this year will be the same. However, "exception" means it was warm instead of stifling. So you'll still need to wear cool clothing. Bring a cardigan for when you're outside or at a talk (which is generally cooler).

There is an FAQ thread posted on the forum nearer to the event. You might want to check the FAQ at last year's forum as most of it will be the same.

Well on my first year i wish i had done what i do every year now. spend the first half hour/hour (if possible) familiarizing myself with the building itself. where people are for autographs, the stalls, the talk area, the photoshoot area. Heres my tips for a stress free convention

1) When you get to the talk area, take a quick picture of the timetable outside it on your phone so you don't have to go back to check it every time you forget the times of talks. also do the same for the photo shoots. each area will have different letters, like photo area A or C and every one will have a schedule posted outside it. take a snap of it and then set a reminded on your phone with an alarm for about half an hour before so it reminds you and gives you plenty of time to get there, do the same with the talks. that way you have time to get in line for a good seat!

2) I know it sounds silly, but do indeed locate your proper entry points/exits. some people have different entrances. Find the stairs, get used to a certain way of getting to each floor and stick to that so you don't get confused.

3) LOCATE THE BATHROOMS! oh lordy, my first time in Olympia for some odd reason i found it hard to find these, handy to know where they are.

4) Know the different staff T-shirt colors. some colors are higher ranking ones and can give you more help/info. red ones are pretty good for info/help. also locate the organizer/info desk, they are lifesavers.    

5) Bring your own water or snacks in case you are on a budget cause trust me, food and drink there is damn pricey and you will end up having to buy as you will get very thirsty and hungry, bound to happen.

6) If you see me, say hi! most important advice i can give ya lol. have fun and welcome!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dreamsphere said:

Well on my first year i wish i had done what i do every year now. spend the first half hour/hour (if possible) familiarizing myself with the building itself. where people are for autographs, the stalls, the talk area, the photoshoot area. Heres my tips for a stress free convention

1) When you get to the talk area, take a quick picture of the timetable outside it on your phone so you don't have to go back to check it every time you forget the times of talks. also do the same for the photo shoots. each area will have different letters, like photo area A or C and every one will have a schedule posted outside it. take a snap of it and then set a reminded on your phone with an alarm for about half an hour before so it reminds you and gives you plenty of time to get there, do the same with the talks. that way you have time to get in line for a good seat!

2) I know it sounds silly, but do indeed locate your proper entry points/exits. some people have different entrances. Find the stairs, get used to a certain way of getting to each floor and stick to that so you don't get confused.

3) LOCATE THE BATHROOMS! oh lordy, my first time in Olympia for some odd reason i found it hard to find these, handy to know where they are.

4) Know the different staff T-shirt colors. some colors are higher ranking ones and can give you more help/info. red ones are pretty good for info/help. also locate the organizer/info desk, they are lifesavers.    

5) Bring your own water or snacks in case you are on a budget cause trust me, food and drink there is damn pricey and you will end up having to buy as you will get very thirsty and hungry, bound to happen.

6) If you see me, say hi! most important advice i can give ya lol. have fun and welcome!

Just a quick note on 1) I would highly advise looking at the schedules for talks and photos on here when it is released about a week or so before the con. This way you can plan what you need to do before the show. DO be aware that this can change though, even during the weekend so do keep an eye on the ones up at the photoshoot areas.

11 minutes ago, whitewillow said:

Also, since someone mentioned toilets: if you have some free time, go to the toilet even if you don't feel the need right now. You don't want to feel the need to go when you are standing in line/at a talk.

I just followed this advice, thank you.

• Like 1