Horror Guests and Horror Franchises

On ‎10‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:15 AM, Showmasters Pre Orders said:

With the amount of possible horror guests out there is highly unlikely that US horror guests will get more then one show. LFCC will always have x amount of slots for horror like it has the last few years. Horror at regionals is not working and pre orders are next to zero for them. 

As someone who started collecting autographs in 1998 I was willing to travel the length of the country to meet a guest I wanted. No matter who we book these days the replies are why can't they do this show..... The answer to that is simple, if we are losing money on them once why would we do it a second time??? 

Horror is such a wide category, its very hard to please all horror fans, with one or two guests. At this point I think its highly unlikely that we continue to bring US horror guests over next year to the regional shows. Sadly there are not enough UK based horror guests that want to do shows to keep horror at the regionals. 

Jason G  

Thanks for the feedback Jason,i think you just pretty much confirmed my suspicions,that the best hope/possibility is for a dedicated horror event.

I understand what your saying,but I have to say,i'm not surprised that horror guests at regionals hasn't worked,I think the problem is that horror fans on the whole tend to be pretty much exclusively into horror,i can only speak for myself,but I suspect I'm not alone on this,i've recently wanted(and still do) to meet a number of horror guests that have been at regionals(sean chapman,claire Higgins,john duggan,teri McMinn,ari lehman,amanda wyss.......just to name a few off the top of my head)but in virtually all cases they were the only person(s) at the event I wanted to see,so if that one or two people cancel,the tickets and travel etc end up being a total waste of money,i suspect it's too much of a risk for a lot of people.

You hit the nail on the head *it's very hard to please all horror fans,with one or two guests" there lies the problem.

I went to LFCC because even if one or two guests cancelled,it would still leave at least one or two to go for,so it wouldn't be totally throwing money away for nothing.

An SM organised Weekend Of Hell Uk may be the answer......?     :whistling:

• Like 1

Adding my support for a UK 'Weekend of hell' event.

Having a wide selection of guests from popular classics such as Scream, Childs Play, Halloween up to more modern ones like Saw, The Conjuring etc would bring in the crowds. Maybe also some tv show guests from Walking Dead and Bates Motel.

• Like 3

It's inevitable that showmasters will eventually put on a horror only con. For the last few years I've understood their argument that they won't get the same numbers that say collectormania bring in... but things have changed over the last 2 years.

Helped by the resurgence of vinyl and now VHS tapes, the horror genre is now the most popular it's been since the mid 80s. Just think about all the new horror films that are being released lately. Also, there's so many new companies being born to accommodate the need for new horror memorabilia.

Off the top of my head I can count 6 horror cons the UK is getting this year. 2 years ago, there were none! 

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, bruces said:

It's inevitable that showmasters will eventually put on a horror only con. For the last few years I've understood their argument that they won't get the same numbers that say collectormania bring in... but things have changed over the last 2 years.

Helped by the resurgence of vinyl and now VHS tapes, the horror genre is now the most popular it's been since the mid 80s. Just think about all the new horror films that are being released lately. Also, there's so many new companies being born to accommodate the need for new horror memorabilia.

Off the top of my head I can count 6 horror cons the UK is getting this year. 2 years ago, there were none! 

And I can think of 3 that are cancelled to poor ticket sales and 1 that changed from 2 days to 1 due to poor ticket sales. 

On 25/07/2017 at 5:21 PM, maxcat said:

following on the horror theme

Britt Ekland (Man with the golden Gun, The Wicker Man)

Roy Boyd (The Omen, The Wicker Man, Emmerdale)

Juliet Cadzow (The Wicker Man, Dr Who)

Alex Palmer (28 Days Later, Harry Potter, Master and Commander)

David Schneider (28 Days Later, Mission Impossible, A Knight's Tale)

Noah Huntley (28 Days Later, Snow White and the Huntsman)

Leo Bill (28 Days Later, Alice in Wonderland, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)

Adrian Christopher (28 Days Later, Torchwood)

Natalie Mendoza (The Descent, Moulin Rouge)

Myanna Buring (The Descent, Twilight)

Sean Pertwee (Gotham, Dog Soldiers, Event Horizon)

Darren Morfitt (Dog Soldiers, Silent Witness)

Bryn Walters (Dog Soldiers, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat)

Shaun Dooley (The Woman in Black, Eden Lake, The Awakening)

James Gandhi (Eden Lake)

Leon Davis (Hellraiser, Dr Who)

Niall Buggy (Alien 3, Hellraiser, Father Ted)

Neil Maskell (Kill List, Utopia, Humans)

Michael Smiley (Perfume, World's End, Kill List, Rogue One)

Struan Rodger (Stardust, Dr Who, Kill List, Chariots of Fire)

Ben Crompton (Game of Thrones, 102 Dalmatians, Kill List)

Mark Kempner (The Worlds End, Kill List)

David Schofield (Gladiator, Pirates of the Caribbean, An American Werewolf in London)

Albert Moses (Octopussy, An American Werewolf in London)

John Salthouse (The Spy who Loved Me, An American Werewolf in London)

John Owens (Shanghai Knights, The Wolfman)

These r uk based horror guests... and i think i saw jason say 'there r not enough uk-based horror guests that want to do cons'. But what about these...? The ones I'd absolutely love to meet r Niall Buggy, Sean Pertwee and Britt Ekland.... 

• Like 1

I still stand by previous comments I have posted before. If SM managed to get some big name guests such as Bruce Campbell, Brad Dourif, Mathew Lillard, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Sarah Michelle Gellar etc the event would be a huge success. Other horror cons may have failed because they didn't have star names.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony1975 said:

I still stand by previous comments I have posted before. If SM managed to get some big name guests such as Bruce Campbell, Brad Dourif, Mathew Lillard, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Sarah Michelle Gellar etc the event would be a huge success. Other horror cons may have failed because they didn't have star names.

Nick Castle has to be in there aswell! ;-)

• Like 1

Following on the UK based horror guest theme, if any of these r possible?

Barbara Shelley (village of the damned, dr who, quatermass and the pit)

gerald paris (village of the damned, 101 dalmatians, carry on)

chloe franks (tales from the crypt)

angela grant (tales from the crypt, carry on)

susan denny (tales from the crypt, benny hill)

jayne sofiano (tales from the crypt, the saint, the troubleshooters)

• 2 weeks later...

we have lost of so many of our horror icons of late has caused me to think we must redouble our efforts in getting horror guests for this and the coming years cons.

I met a whole bunch of horror guys this weekend that would be perfect for showmaster events, to name a few, Joe Lynch, Adam Green, Don Mancini, Todd Tucker. 

And how about Maika Monroe, Olwen Catherine Kelly, Ophelia Lovibond 

and what about shaun of the dead cast....? simon pegg, kate ashfield, lucy davis, dylan moran, keir mills, peter serafinowicz, rafe spall, trisha goddard, jessica hynes, mark donovan, tamsin greig, jon buckland, chris martin etc. etc. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 01/06/2017 at 10:59 AM, maxcat said:

following on to my goosebumps theme:

Diego Matamoros

Terra Vnesa

Eugene Lipinski

Frank Pellegrino

These guys might have done another TV series by a successful book series by the name of Animorphs

bump