Sherlock is back **Spoiler Thread**

StuartG2198

Good idea, so I don't know about anyone else but Irene Adler and Mrs Hudson being outed as being in a torrid affair was a bit of a shock but I have to admit I did see Molly being revealed as the brains behind Moriarty all along coming a mile off, they left a big clue with her winking messages in morse code!

So back to reality, Mary dying, interesting development I thought. In many ways I think it makes sense, Mary Morstan was never really a major character in the books, and the way the series was going she was becoming a third member of what is supposed after all to be a duo. That said I thought she was an interesting character, and was played very well by Amanda Abington.

I'm curious about the possible affair Watson may or may not have had. Firstly whether this may have been some form of set-up which we will see come back in a later epsiode, and secondly whether Sherlock might have been aware of what was going on and whether that will be referred to again. It was never really hinted at that he did know but it was suggested that there was a passage of time and he may well have noticed that Watson's behaviour had changed.

Going to need to watch this epsiode again before Sunday!

I still need to rewatch it again as well.

It was interesting with John, and very brave of them to go there given how a lot of people were going to react to it. I am shocked they did it, and disappointed in John but it's not unrealistic. I don't think there will be anything more to it myself, they are simply showing that John is human and suffers from human weaknesses like we all do, but there will probably be a lot of guilt on John's part about it now. Also did Sherlock or Mary realise? It's odd that 2 people with their skills didn't see anything about what John was doing. Maybe Mary knew but was letting it go as she thought after keeping her past hidden and shooting Sherlock she owed John one. The next 2 weeks will tell.

It was actually one of my biggest gripes with the CSI series, particularly Miami and NY and it was what turned me off it in the end - the characters were so wholesome and pure and good it became ridiculous. I get that they wanted to portray them as good, moral and honest people but they may as well have stuck a halo and wings on each character. It was completely unrealistic. I get that it's a made up show but it was set in our world so the characters should have had a few flaws. By doing what they did with John, although it destroyed our view of how we perceived the character it did make it more realistic and in character with his personality IMO. Things were settled with Mary, he was doing less casework with Sherlock between the job, not living with him anymore and Mary and the baby so maybe subconsciously he was bored and wanted to stir things up a bit, encourage the excitement of an illicit relationship, however far it may have gotten (or not gotten).

I like Mary and Amanda's portrayal of her and will miss the character but did find this episode a little dragging. I started to find the Mary stuff slightly boring.

The opening segment with Mycroft and Sherlock struggling to gain possetion of Sherlock's phone in front of a room full of important government people was very amusing. Sherlock's sensitivity to the parents when explaining how their son died was amazing. I know he was distracted by the Thatcher mystery starting to build but he really was very nice to them.

I need to rewatch the bit when Sherlock texts John and Mary at the end, I can't remember where he told Mary to go to get her out of the way and wonder how she found them at the Aquarium. Maybe she used her spy skills and managed to read John's text and realised he was trying to get her out of harms way.

Edited by Raylenth

I think an element of the problem with Mary is that although she was a character in the original stories, she was nothing like the way the character has developed in this series. I agree that at times in the episode I did find my attention wandering a bit as it did feel like it was becoming as much about Mary as it was about the other two, in hindsight it makes more sense that they took that approach, it will be interesting to see it again knowing what happens.

Watson's behaviour in many ways is consistent with what we know about the character, he has a need for danger in his life and it did suggest that with a baby and Sherlock making more use of Mary he was missing that. I have to admit I missed it in the epsiode, but I have seen people point out online that on one of the bus shelters there was a piciture of Toby Jones as Culverton-Smith. Whether that was just to plant the idea of him in the minds of people who noticed or whether they wanted to link him and the bus woman in people's minds, I don't know. Sometimes it's easy to go looking for clues that aren't really there!

• Like 1

I think it's more that they just love teasing people, they did something similar, but a little more obscure in HLV. I can't find any images of it yet but when John and Mary are pulling up to the drug den there's a bill board behind them that's had parts of posters ripped off and the message it's left relates to Magnussen.

Started rewatching it again this afternoon and one of the things I noted with interest was that everyone attending was only referred to by their code names.

Attending where Mycroft and Sherlock obviously, Lady Smallwood, Vivian Norwood and unnamed government dude. To me Vivian was only there in a secretarial capacity, even though Mycroft instructed her not to take anything down so IMO she doesn't count.

Mycroft gives their code names as Love, Antarctica, Langdale and Porlock. I wonder who is who?

Love - Lady Smallwood

Antartica - Mycroft?

Langdale -

Porlock - (A coastal village in Somerset, could be Sherlock, the code name given to him by Mycroft, we do see a flashback of them playing by a beach)

It's only now that I've seen it written down that I realise there is a nod to another Holmes story with The Norwood Builder! I think there has been some talk of things going back to their childhoods, but I can't remember. Seems possible there could be some significance to the code names.

There's too much to cover at the moment as it was 90 minutes of absolute brilliance. I was very apprehensive but pleased my fears weren't realised as I was scared they may be - The promo's had the reptile line Mrs H delivered to Mycroft and I had feared what he could have possibly done for her to say that to him, but it was understandable why she said it and whilst not good I was relieved it wasn't something else.

Mycroft getting frisky with Lady S eh? Go Mycroft!

Not sure how I feel about the new sister, nor how it relates to Sherrinford, unless as speculated that's the name of a facility (or similar) rather than a person. Maybe where she was held?

I've tweeted them all to say that this episode really deserves lots of awards and I hope it does get them.

I think it really is one of the best they have done.

That was so good, I feel like a still need a shock blanket. I was sure towards the end the therapist was going to be Moriarty's sister but nope, they took another left turn.

I suspected that as first as well and thought just before she fully revealed herself 'no, I don't think they would go down that route would they, it would be far too obvious'. I'm glad they didn't do that.

Well, he had just fired a gun in her general direction and worried the daylights out of her so it's fair play really.

What the staff in Speedy's must see on a frequent basis if Mrs H can get them to help her carry an unconscious, severely ill Sherlock, handcuffed. in his nightclothes and put him in the boot of her car with no qualms!

Very impressive episode, towards the end I was starting to wonder where they could go from there for next week and it all might be a bit of an anti climax, then the ending happened!

Thought Martin Freeman was excellent in this episode, no one really put a foot wrong but he was a particular stand out. Toby Jones was very good as well.

This might be another one to watch again to get everything, I was out last night so didnt watch it till I got home so didn't finish till about 1am. I had seen a comment about Moriarty online on my way home so I was a bit worried he was going to make another appearance. I was very glad when he didn't. I did like the nod to Irene Adler though and the idea that Sherlock is still in contact with her as a means of support.

Next week looks very interesting but it is re-enforcing my thinking even more that this might be the last episode.

Very impressive episode, towards the end I was starting to wonder where they could go from there for next week and it all might be a bit of an anti climax, then the ending happened!

Thought Martin Freeman was excellent in this episode, no one really put a foot wrong but he was a particular stand out. Toby Jones was very good as well.

This might be another one to watch again to get everything, I was out last night so didnt watch it till I got home so didn't finish till about 1am. I had seen a comment about Moriarty online on my way home so I was a bit worried he was going to make another appearance. I was very glad when he didn't. I did like the nod to Irene Adler though and the idea that Sherlock is still in contact with her as a means of support.

Next week looks very interesting but it is re-enforcing my thinking even more that this might be the last episode.

I think Moriarty does appear in the next episode as there was the footage of him on a beach and a helicopter which we haven't seen yet but it'll probably be a flash back as something to do with Euros.

In the upcoming episode I'm more sure now that the house we saw in the promo's burning down is Mummy and Daddy Holmes's but time will tell.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is that Sherlock said to John in the hospital after he got Smith to confess that he had double kidney failure. Now I know the liver is pretty good at recovering but not sure kidneys do so not sure the ending for that is going to be good.

It does all feel it's building that way, doesn't it?

I did get the bit about Sherlock's kidneys, but I am comforting myself with the thought that John could save his life by donating one if they're compatible. But I think I'm looking for ways for it not to end badly, rather than expecting it!

• Like 1

Presumably Mycroft or Euros would be compatible as well so they may be able to get one of them to donate.

Yep, I thought about using whatever might be left of Euros at the end, but I'm a bit obsessed with the idea that Sherlock and John have to be each other's redemption!

I am of course massively overthinking this, but come on, it's Sherlock. They've trained us well!

• Like 1