How Did your con go?

Raylenth

Just about got to the end of what has been a long but good day. Got all of the autos I wanted today, just leaves Mark, Louise and himself tomorrow. All the guests seemed in good form, be interesting to see if Amanda can talk Martin into attending a future event. I managed to make a couple of talks as well, would have been nice to get to a couple more but you can't have everything!

Took myself off to the theatre tonight, getting a standing ticket probably wasn't the best thing, my feet are killing me but the play was good and got an autograph from Ian McKellan afterwards!

Was speaking to the crew member manning Amanda's desk waiting for her to come back from lunch and she said they are trying and will continue to try so with Amanda's good experience you never know.

Edited by evilfairie

I'm on my way back home again. Despite being sick with a cold and a slight fever I had an amazing day. Poor Andrew was being rushed like a factory machine and it kinda made me sad but that's a convention, right? He was a darling though, like always. <3

• Like 1

I'm a bit angry and sad at the moment. I had a shoot with Alistair from 2.20- 2.35 and a shoot with the Holmes family from 2.30-2.55. The shoot with Alistair was a very late and I asked a red shirt staff what I should do. She said I should go to the Holmes family shoot first and come back later. But unfortunately they were also late at the set shoot because of Benedict's shoot on the same set which went a bit longer than planned. I went back to Alistair's shoot and they were just calling the Platinum pass holders. So I decided to join the small queue at the set shoot with the Holmes family. At about 2.45 I went to the shoot for Alistair but the same staff lady said it was already over and that he can't wait forever. I've spent money for nothing! I trusted that lady and because of her I missed the shoot.

I'm really sorry. Even if the queue is short, in such cases please always let the crew at the second shoot (Holmes family in this case) know you are on the run. They'd have got you in front even for this short line.

QS I have to add that I learned this weekend that it clearly depends who's the one in the red shirt you are talking to.

a) I received more than one wrong answer to a clear question

B) red shirts minds are so changeable (and no, that is not amusing!)

c) if you know a red shirt personally it does not matter, which ticket type you've got, you'll get through

That answers as well how my con went so far.

Brilliant weekend, feel absolutely shattered but all credit to the guests, organisers and crew at the event and of course QS on here for fielding so many enquiries in the run up to the show. Chatted to a lot of different people in various queues for things, always seems a strength of this particular event that there is always such a good atmosphere about the place. It amazes me the distances that people travel to come to this show, I think I spoke to more Germans thus weekend than last time I was at Oktoberfest!

Really good way to round things off with Benedict's talk and the panel with Sue, Steven and Mark. Encouraging to hear, unless my ears were playing tricks on me, that they are looking at another UK event at some point.

Final thought, the platinum pass was worth every penny!

Edited by Count Fooku
  • Like 1

QS I have to add that I learned this weekend that it clearly depends who's the one in the red shirt you are talking to.

c) if you know a red shirt personally it does not matter, which ticket type you've got, you'll get through

A couple of points to keep in mind:
1) The rules can be different for different guests, or can change throughout the convention which can sometimes lead to the odd mistake or apparent change of mind
2) The ones who knew the red shirts were probably crew working the event who would need to get through the line and back to their job, or helpers who get access to some autograph lines without a VQ as a perk.

Really good way to round things off with Benedict's talk and the panel with Sue, Steven and Mark. Encouraging to hear, unless my ears were playing tricks on me, that they are looking at another UK event at some point.

Didn't make it into the final talk so it would be interesting to hear more about that if anyone has anything to add.

Was fantastic to meet Benedict again but apart from that there is very little to do there I'm afraid. Bit disappointed with the merchandise stall too, sure they had more last year.

There were tons of free talks at the very least. There were actually more there this year I think.

• Like 1

A couple of points to keep in mind:
1) The rules can be different for different guests, or can change throughout the convention which can sometimes lead to the odd mistake or apparent change of mind
2) The ones who knew the red shirts were probably crew working the event who would need to get through the line and back to their job, or helpers who get access to some autograph lines without a VQ as a perk.

Thanks astro nut.

Yes, without knowing more details it is best to keep those points in mind. c) is definitely very likely related to 2) in astro nut's list.

If you want to e-mail me more details Pia, there is an address in my profile. Discussing this in German may be easier. Of course anything will be treated confidential, but I am happy to report the general issues back to the office.

The title of the last talk was something of a misnomer as they said right from the off that they couldn't discuss anything about the new series or any future story plans. In the end it was more of a general Q&A, they revealed the titles of the first two episodes of the new series. I have to admit, my minds gone blank on the rest of it but some bits might come back to me!

Didn't make it into the final talk so it would be interesting to hear more about that if anyone has anything to add.

Was fantastic to meet Benedict again but apart from that there is very little to do there I'm afraid. Bit disappointed with the merchandise stall too, sure they had more last year.

There were tons of free talks at the very least. There were actually more there this year I think.

I made it to the last half hour after getting my auto with Loo so caught some of the Q&A . They did announce a world exclusive of the 1st two episode titles for s4. The Six Thatchers and The Lying Detective and yes Jason did say at the end they are looking to do another UK event.

I agree that they had loads of free talks on both stages with guests this time. Lots to do.

Edited by evilfairie

I made it to the last half hour after getting my auto with Loo so caught some of the Q&A . They did announce a world exclusive of the 1st two episode titles for s4. The Six Thatchers and The Lying Detective and yes Jason did say at the end they are looking to do another UK event.

I agree that they had loads of free talks on both stages with guests this time. Lots to do.

Ahh, it does actually mention something about that in the inside cover of the brochure, but because it's not the best written document I wasn't sure whether to read it as that or if it was supposed to have something to do with the US event.

Well, I am home now and have been reflecting on how brilliant a time I have had over the past few days. It has been great meeting all the guests, hearing interesting and funny talks, and meeting new people who are just as excited about Sherlock as I am. I have spent two lovely days with Raylenth, and talked to so many interesting and passionate people.

I'm going to be in a lovely Sherlocky bubble for some time!

• Like 2

Hello

If you guys had a meet up on Friday... I missed it! My train was late getting into Euston (some hold up near Harrow) and I was dashing to get to my hotel and check in before coming to Excel.

Friday night was less hectic than last year, and I had very few problems getting photos of the props and costumes. I got loads of autographs on Saturday morning, meaning a bit less time queuing on Sunday.

With all the extra talks going on in the main stage, I didn't manage to get to all of them. I missed a lot of Phil Davis' talks, and Louise's, to make sure I had BC, Mark and Loo's autos on my Sherlock Chronicles book. Shout out here to Too Tall who let me into Benedict's auto queue as other Platinum's were at Marks photo shoot on Sunday morning! I deliberately missed Andrew's to attend Arwel's on the second stage, and shortly after hearing the stories about elephants I saw the elephant costume in one of the autograph queues. Great fun!

I hope that a future con won't be at this time of year. I'm back in work and cream-crackered!

Didn't want to leave my hotel room today and accept thats its all over, and life goes back to normal.

Friday was as others have said a lot less hetic than last year went on a wild spending spree on Friday night with no thought as to how I was going to get it all home, until today.

I feel like there was a big effort made in the planning this year so there was less schedules clashes for all yet somehow I still missed more. Best guests for me were Andrew, Amanda and Louise you can just tell how much they adore meeting their fans and were thrilled to be there.

Edited by ascendant.angel

Friday was as others have said a lot less hetic than last year went on a wild spending spree on Friday night with no thought as to how I was going to get it all home, until today.

For about the first time ever this didn't happen to me, I was surprised because my bag was pretty full when I left for the event on Friday and I'd given no thoughts to the trinkets and baubles that came with the platinum pass, I didn't realise it was going to be a proper bag that came with it and just assumed it would be another cloth one like last years gold one! Still got there in the end with it all, only slight concern is my left heel still feels a bit numb!

• 2 weeks later...