Comic cancellations

I know SM have always taken the line that you shouldn't attend a con based on guests attending as lineup is always subject to change.... But cancelling every comicbook guest after you've had tickets on sale for a while seems wrong

• Like 2

The comic guest section definitely needs improving, no offense to the guests now confirmed but most comic readers will read American comics and not care for the Beano guests and the guests before were a lot better and to have them cancelled same day seems suspicious to me.

There is still time to improve this area, after all "Comic" is in the title so should be an area of greater focus. Why not try to get people like Kieron Gillen, Boo Cook, Grant Morrison, Mark Millar, Skottie Young, Erik Burnham, Dan Schoening etc as guests.

I don't really want to get involved in this conversation, but have you guys thought that there might be a good reason if SM have cancelled the guests, like costs or something? I can't think of any other reasons at the moment but you guys just seem to have jumped to the conclusion that SM are evil and are trying to annoy you, which makes no sense. Yes it's a shame that this has happened but pointless speculation as to why is most likely not going to get you anywhere.

• Like 1

I'd rather avoid speculation which is why I'd like some official word on this.

Imagine they announced they were banning all cosplay at a show 1-2 weeks before it happened...... or removed all film/tv guests

I dont think anyone has made the conclusion that they're doing this just to annoy people - I'm sure it is down to costs (if I had to guess I'd say ticket sales and vendor takeup has been worse than they expected)

However I think if you're going to make a significant change to a show you shoud give your customers the courtesy of an announcement.

• Like 1

Looks like Lee Townsend has now been cancelled.

It's a shame, I would really like to see Bournemouth have something along the lines of a 'Comic Alley' like they do at London. Really enjoy meeting the artists and buying their artwork, and enjoyed meeting Lee Townsend at the last London one I went to.,

Looks like Lee Townsend has now been cancelled.

It's a shame, I would really like to see Bournemouth have something along the lines of a 'Comic Alley' like they do at London. Really enjoy meeting the artists and buying their artwork, and enjoyed meeting Lee Townsend at the last London one I went to.,

Exactly! It's a great shame, as the comic guests were fantastic a few weeks back and I couldn't of been more hyped to talk to them and get some artwork done for my collection, now it is massively underwhelming and feels like Comic Alley is just an after thought.

It was confirmed by Showmasters staff in Bournemouth today that Jodi Lynn O'Keefe, Julie Benz, Carl Wethers etc were all cancelled last minute by Showmasters because the guests had cancelled on Amsterdam comic con at last minute. Seems petty.

I hope the same isn't true of the comic guests

Edited by Gordon The Gopher

I just checked with TooTall because yeah, I go along with Raylenth here.

His response was "The guests all cancelled Amsterdam. We hoped to still have them to Bournemouth, but they all cancelled this show too. We certainly didn't cancel them, they pulled out."

If you could please let us know who said that I am pretty sure TooTall would be very interested in following up with them.