Kenny Baker RIP

Wrong Name

This is such upsetting news, as I met him this year and last year. I remember following him around for half an hour trying to find where his photo shot was meant to be, Kenny was in his wheelchair but kept looking back at me and smiling. He actually seemed to me to be in better spirits this year than last. RIP to the ledgened that is R2 D2, aka Kenny Baker, he will be truly missed!

Sad, so the last memory of him I will have is him and his helper standing at the Hilton Olympia check in desk right in front of me, he in his wheelchair, me in mine. a proper little wheelie queue ready for attention ! Then he disappearing into the elevator to head off to his room. Considering his ill health, he had done incredibly well to keep up appearances at numerous conventions, well done to him and I hope that he enjoyed it too

Kenny did look like he was struggling more the last couple years and I've just read in the Guardian his niece said it was 'expected' after a long illness but I sure didn't expect it. He always looked like nothing would or could stop him!

I feel fortunate to say I first met Kenny in 2010 at Collectormania Milton Keynes and again at the same show but in 2013. Whilst I didn't meet him recently, I saw him signing at LFCC not but two weeks ago and at Star Wars Celebration Europe not but two weeks before that. I really didn't expect those to be the last times. He seemed to enjoy meeting his fans and how great is it for all of us that he did what he enjoyed literally up until the very end. He must have met so many people at those two HUGE shows alone and I expect those will be very grateful memories for those who only recently met him for the very first time.

And I think it is a true testament to himself that on both occasions, and as always, whatever the venue, whatever the price, his fans were stacked deep to see him... and you NEVER saw anything but a glowing review on these forums from fans who went to meet him.

RIP Kenny Baker.

Edited by Dent_1
  • Like 2

Its kinda hit me hard, this one, first met Kenny in 2007 and was a real pleasure to have met him again in 2010 and subsequent years since, all who met him met a wonderful guy who's personality shone onscreen - yep this is a tough pill to swallow at the moment.

My thoughts go out to his Family, Friends and those within the Industry for this very sad loss :( RIP Kenny.

Really sad news. Each time I saw him at a convention he looked happy to be meeting his fans. I just took it for granted he would continue to attend for many years to come. Everytime i promised myself next time i will meet him. Sadly that will now never happen. RIP