Security at LFCC

I was happy with the level of security. They didn't impact on my enjoyment of the event, and it gave me peace of mind to know that our safety and that of the guests was being looked after.

We live in crazy times - e.g. my Trek group in Manchester couldn't have our phasers outside of our 'Beyond' Odeon promo area recently due to armed police around following a man trying to get on the metrolink with an axe - and so it would be absolutely negligent to have anything other than strict security. I'd rather get frisked at every shoot than have even a potential occurrence of trouble

I was impressed with the bag checking at the entrance. Especially with all the crap going on in the world right now.

They opened all the zips on my bag. I have a pen that looks like a bone and she had a good look at that. Guess you're not allowed to take real bones in the con!

With the way the world is right now, I'm glad of security in all its forms. Over zealous or not, I'd rather they were there than not there should something actually happen. While my Mum was waiting for me to get done with Edge's shoot, she and another woman noticed a backpack had been sitting beside them unattended for a good 20 minutes, they reported it and it was quickly dealt with. Good if you ask me.

Turned out is was accidentally left by someone. But could have been different. Security were on the ball with the report.

Edited by jenvonlee

i found the security and body guards very strict this year and i think it is a good thing. too many weirdo's that go out killing people and hurting people, i don't care getting body searched or bag searched if it mean't that the guest's felt safe.

I say keep on being strict :) :)

I personally think security was way too lax given the present day climate. They barely glanced at my suitcase at the entrance, didn't even look into my handbag. Crowded place like that can attract any sorts of nutters

There were sniffer dogs at the previous event I went to, didn't seem OTT. Thing is though you could walk around a shopping centre with far more people, no one would check at all.

Mind you, I'd say anyone who's seen a Bond film could work out a way to beat the system, fortunately the nutters aren't that inventive or imaginative as us.

Only ones I really saw was the ones who checked bags when you come in, unless the blokes standing near some VQ guests with no steward shirts counted as security

If it was people in suits standing, then yes they were security. There was one behind the autos desks by Mads and Michael on Friday that I recognise as doing security for lots of SM events.

I think this is the first time I've seen security with guests at a con (or I just haven't paid attention before). Tobin's guy seemed nice enough.

I remember joking to him how the auto I'd just gotten off Tobin was harder than any of the diamond guests lol.

I think this is the first time I've seen security with guests at a con (or I just haven't paid attention before). Tobin's guy seemed nice enough.

They have done it for several years for the bigger guests or those that are likely to be mobbed, but it's usually very discreet.

The security were especially heavy on Famke's queue. Bouncer guy pounced forward on numerous occasions to check out fans with any kind of 'gun' The Deadpool cosplayer I saw getting the treatment seemed to be getting extra special 'attention'

Fine, I guess, although if a person bearing real firearms had got that close to a celebrity before security needed an extra look, kind of makes you think how lax it might have been further down the entry chain.

It is sad to see how the world changed in one year. Last year, there were no bag searches and I didn't feel in danger. This year, I wouldn't have felt safe without them. I think it was a good thing that there was more security, but the bag searches could have been stricter. On Friday and Saturday, my bag was checked properly, but on Sunday, the security guy hardly glanced at it.

• Like 1

Just thought I'd point out that as an exhibitor I never once saw any dealers bags or stuff get searched at any time...

Also on the Saturday at 8.15 inside the event a women asked where is it you are supposed to queue. This was a regular punter with eticket in hand who got in somehow and was wandering about.

i found it odd that they still had the weapons dealers - i mean, if i wanted to cause a scene i'd stand calmly in the queue, get a bag search no bother, then wander into the hall and pick up anything from a zombie-slayer machete to a katana and go hog wild - what's to stop that? i thought some of those sized blades etc were illegal too, but i'm not 100% on the knife law.

Just thought I'd point out that as an exhibitor I never once saw any dealers bags or stuff get searched at any time...

Also on the Saturday at 8.15 inside the event a women asked where is it you are supposed to queue. This was a regular punter with eticket in hand who got in somehow and was wandering about.

Was there much point searching dealers as some stalls were dealing weapons? Lol.

Though i admit i enjoyed the security bag searching... I was quite tempted to try and smuggle something in as they always seemed a little dissapointed that the poster tube only had a poster