LFCC 2016 Feedback Thread

I wrote this on another thread to but feel it would be better here:

I think the new layout was brillant, and I would like to say a big thank you to all staff/volunteers they were all helpful and knew the answers to questions this year and also they kept everything organised and there was no yelling at people which also helped to keep everything calm, thank you and well done for a brillant con ☺

Now I don't normally add my 2p into these threads but I have a minor gripe from yesterday afternoon.

I was stood in the Rutger Hauer autograph queue and had been like everyone else for over an hour when Rutger had to go for another break. This part, I have no issue with at all. He is a 72-year-old gentleman that needs these breaks.

I think most people understood this, except one vocal gentleman near the back of the capped off queue that decided to start complaining to every volunteer who would listen. A red shirt pit boss then was left dealing with him. He was getting red faced so the pit boss got on her phone to try and help him out. Next thing I knew; he was at the front of the queue getting let in.

Now the way I saw it all unfold, it looked like he complained a lot and got to jump the queue. I hope this was not the case as it sends a bad message to other attendees. As I said, I ended up being in the queue for an hour and a half and this really wound me up.

Sorry for the rant. I’ll go back into hiding now.

This being my second LFCC, I have to say the improvements with the increase of hall space & guest tables, photoshoots all on their own designated floor worked wonders. There was plenty of space and at no point during the weekend did I feel squashed or cramped due to queues.

Guest-wise, I was very impressed with the range of past and current starts from television & movies. Kim Coates & Michael Emerson were the standout guests for me personally, both very friendly and were happy enough to chat with us. For that I have to thank you Showmasters for a great weekend (for the most part).

My only gripe would be what others have echoed on here and on social media regarding Famke, as a first-time Diamond purchase I expected a better level of service at the photoshoot. Yes she was not 100% I can appreciate that, but the vast space between her and us attendees wasn't great; it felt very impersonal. I questioned whether I made the correct decision in purchasing a Diamond Pass for her. However in getting her autograph was a different matter as she was engaging asking how my day was going, can't expect much more than that from a guest of her stature.

Overall, I really enjoyed the weekend met a few fellow attendees and I particularly enjoyed the range of stalls on offer - in particular Art Beyond, they had some nice pieces.

Edited by eightieskid83

Now I don't normally add my 2p into these threads but I have a minor gripe from yesterday afternoon.

I was stood in the Rutger Hauer autograph queue and had been like everyone else for over an hour when Rutger had to go for another break. This part, I have no issue with at all. He is a 72-year-old gentleman that needs these breaks.

I think most people understood this, except one vocal gentleman near the back of the capped off queue that decided to start complaining to every volunteer who would listen. A red shirt pit boss then was left dealing with him. He was getting red faced so the pit boss got on her phone to try and help him out. Next thing I knew; he was at the front of the queue getting let in.

Now the way I saw it all unfold, it looked like he complained a lot and got to jump the queue. I hope this was not the case as it sends a bad message to other attendees. As I said, I ended up being in the queue for an hour and a half and this really wound me up.

Sorry for the rant. I’ll go back into hiding now.

We were near the front of the queue when Rutger went for that break and I remember them slotting in people just in front of us and I did wonder why but at that point I was too tired and sore to pay much attention and I was just so happy they let us wait in the queue while he was on break, rather than telling us to come back later.

Edited by Mehetabel

Seems to be the use of social media is adding to problems. The way some people were speaking about some guests on Saturday was inexcusable. What's to stop them telling other actors about their experiences? We may never get to meet these stars again. Please be careful people.

• Like 1

My only real gripe is with crew members being allowed to 'jump' the queue. This sort of behaviour leads to people already in the queue getting annoyed to put it politely. Yes, being on crew may have it's benefits when coming to get things signed from guests but no way should they be at the front of the queue. Fair enough they don't need a virtual queue ticket, but no way should they be allowed to just 'bypass' everyone else and be at the front when everyone else has been waiting. They should be at the back of the queue as it's only fair on those who've been waiting in the queue to meet the guest. Other than this gripe overall the layout of keeping all guests mainly in one place was an improvement over last year. I agree that the Suicide squad costume display should've been elsewhere.

The reason for this isn't a "perk", and I'm so sorry if it seems that way. And I promise crew members do pay for their photoshoots - the same price as all attendees. However, crew members are only allowed a VERY limited amount of time to get their (limited permitted) photoshoots and then instantly have to be back at their designated duty posts, which is helping attendees and trying to keep everything smooth and shiny :D

I hope that clears it up for you.

• Like 3

well here's my pro's and cons of Saturday

POSITIVE
1. I could feel the air conditioning a bit unlike last year whitch was just an oven
2. The isles were bigger. It wasn't a crush trying to get through the dealers
3. Getting into the venue was good. I got there around 9 and I just walked round the
building and it didn't take too long to get in. There were well organised staff directing
everyone.
4. The whole building was used so plenty of space to move around and sit down.
5. The photo areas were closer together.
ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT
1. Queuing for the photo shoots was bad. you couldn't hear the staff near the back,
they didnt listen at first when I asked about my batch number and they weren't telling
everyone to move forward. Also many people were pushing in front even if they had a higher
batch number because the staff had no control.
2. I waited over 45 minutes at the sales desk whilst the staff chatted away to each other
rather than serving. Need more staff who know what is for sale.
3. Directions to the sales desk. It took me an hour and asking several staff members who
all gave different directions to get there.
BAD
1. I am a seasoned con goer who has been coming to showmaster events for many years.
I only came for 3 guests and I only managed to get 1 autograph and 1 photo shoot all day.
I stood near one of the guests of hours but wasn't allowed in the queue even though I didn't
want to chat with the guest or care about personalisation. Then near the end of the day
they let a load of gold pass people (who said they would be back tomorrow- i.e. Sunday)
join the back of the queue and not let the few day people join even though they couldn't
be back the next day to meet the guest they wanted. Yes I know we pay for gold to join the queue
but this was 1/2 hour before closing. surely if you're only there for a day and its almost the
end of they day you could open the queue to the few day passes who have been standing around for
hours waiting?
2. I went to meet a few authors from YALK. I was really excited to get to meet a couple of the
authors and had pre spoken to them on facebook before hand only to get there to find the authors
were only there on 1 day. I had seen nothing on the forum about who'd be there what day and
had brought my books to be signed and was really let down to find the authors NOT there.
3. I heard right at the end of the day that Dononic Monaghands queue for the last part of the Sat
before his talk had been an open queue but even those near by waiting didn't know as the staff didn't
announce it meaning the few who really wanted to meet him who might have before the end of the day never
got to see him.
overall a disappointing day. I will come back next year but hopefully with a gold ticket which cross fingers I
can join the back of any queue (other than I know diamond pass) so I can actually get the few autographs I want.
Edited by stargate geek emily

The staff (both volunteers and paid alike were lovely) a massive shout out to the older lady (no offence intended) who was managing the queues for Jason David Frank, Kim Contes and Sylvester McCoy's VTs on Friday...she was amazing!

Thank you so much for your lovely comment. I had an absolute ball with everyone in Jason's queue and thank you, too, for your patience and humour throughout. If you enjoy yourselves, then so do we as crew members. xxx

It is so refreshing to read through this thread of great feedback after all the complaints in previous years. Showmasters and all the crew deserve all the praise they are getting. They have listened to all the feedback from last year and made so many improvements I can honestly say this was the best LFCC so far.

Pros:

The new queuing system was a brilliant idea. I was concerned about missing a photoshoot at 9:30 as I couldn't make it to the venue until 8:45 but I needn't have worried as with the new system I was in the building by 10 past 9 and even had time to collect the VT's I wanted before I went to the photoshoot!

As many others have said it was so nice to have so much more space this year. And the air conditioning was another welcome addition.

All of the crew that I spoke to were friendly, well informed and were able to answer any questions I had.

Guest signings and photos on one floor made it so much easier to make photoshoots in time.

The guests were fantastic, even the bigger names such as Jeremy Renner seemed pleased to be there and were very friendly.

Cons:

The Famke photoshoot which has been discussed at length on other threads and I completely understand that Showmasters would have no control over this. I have no problem with the no touching rule as I get how some people may be uncomfortable with that. But I felt very intimated by her bodyguard who was almost in the photo and due to this I stood nowhere near her and the photo doesn't look great as we are so far apart. Although having seen some others I'm glad she is at least smiling in mine!

Guests leaving early. Again I know Showmasters have no control over this but I missed out on a few autographs that I had planned on getting at the end of the day but unfortunately the guests had already left. This was just after 5:30 on Sunday. I did manage to get Jeremy Renner and Michael Emersons autograph after 5pm which was great but had planned on getting one or two more but I noticed there weren't many guests still there.

That being said it was a great day and Showmasters and the crew should be very proud of themselves. Looking forward to another great event next year.

Edited by Agent Bristow

First, i must say that it was my best LFCC so far, and i've been present at a lot :smile:

I'll be there again next year without a doubt !

That said, My only - but still very strong - negative point that wasn't improved all those last years concerns the critical lack of controls of abuses in the queues with VT by some Diamon & Gold pass holders, and some (very few) but unscrupulous (or abused) disabled persons.

Please control more drastically special passes's rights (ie : number of signatures and number of times queueing for the same guest each day) and - sorry to have to say that as i know it may seem harsh - disabled persons's accesses. I explain : this year again i saw some diamond & gold passes queueing several times for the same guest, having first their own items signed (which is fair) and then offering other people to screw the queue and have their item signed by the guest in exchange of money. That's unfair to other attendees and should be prohibited if not having those pass holders being banned for the whole event.

Also : of course, as i completely understand that disabled people must avoid the queue and long waiting times, i don't admit that some people abuse of that and are "accompanied" by people that are not their official accompanying person. By example, for Mr Rutger Hauer's queue, i saw a disabled person accompanied by not less than 2 persons, one of them being "leggit" but the other had VT 302. That last person passed quietly pretending being an accompanying person, in the diamond pass time frame. During the same time, with my VT 67, i was still prevented from queueing... :thumbdown:

As another suggestion i think the organizers should put some metallic barriers to canalize the people, it'd be more convenient for your staff to control who can access to the queue and who can't.

I really enjoyed the day, the one thing that's upset me is that the pics from area D are so dark. I paid £111 for a joing rocky 4 shoot and the first one came out so bad I had to have it re done. after I see the photo and it was soooo dark and I said to the crew about it and was told to take it up with showmasters. my Jason david frank photo is also dark. im going to have to buy the dig copys and get a photoshop guy to have a play so they look good. as always Debs photos were just outstanding in area C.

what can even be done about this?

I actually think this year was SO SO SO much better than the previous too, Organised better and the staff seemed to be a lot more clued in (mostly) on where things were, and how it worked. The only 3 things i can think of that i think need some work are...

1) - I saw A LOT of people getting into the event for free (bragging on facebook about it too) because a lot of the time, wristbands and tickets weren't checked/or scanned.
2) - I only once all weekend had the number on my VQ ticket checked then taken off me, the rest of them, i could have easily have walked up at any point and got the auto (I didnt though, i followed the rules)

3) - A friend of mine lost a ticket, and the first staff member she asked said "Nothing can be done, its your own fault, not ours" extremely rudely.

and on a side note for 3, when i then asked another member of staff it got fixed and she got the photo because it could be tracked! Thank you to the lady on the laptop on Sat and the Team on photos for Adam! you guys sorted it fast and efficiently

• Like 1

My 2p:

I had a cracking time and the best LFCC I've had in many a year, though that may have something to do with the fact I wasn't rushing around like a mad Russian trying to get too much done. Thus I got to spend more time with friendly faces and chat more, take in the ambiance more and not wear out my shoes as much. Though the dogs were barking by the time I got home on Sunday!! :thumbup:

The photo sessions were well managed from my experience and there was plenty of space. All on one floor works and this shouldn't be altered in my view - distance wise seems OK though I did see a massive bottleneck at D but didn't have any shoots there to experience it myself. As always the crews were friendly and spirited - apart from lens flare on almost all of my pictures, they turned out cracking (apart from Mad's one but that's my fault for half blinking and not having the balls to speak up about it...I know I could have but was kinda star stuck and it's only a small thing anyway!!)

Autographs went well and I got everything I needed and more, even queuing twice for Jeremy Renner's so I could get my photo personalised on the Sunday morning. I had no diamond passes and with VQs got all 5 of the diamond guests to sign multiple items I was after, I didn't think I would get them all to be honest.) I would suggest that next time, move displays like the 'Suicide Squad' (which was awesome and a real coup') to the talk hall. Wall off the back so people can't look in (though this may have been a fire safety issue,) so people can visit it and not get a free talk at the same time. This then frees up the middle ground of the autograph hall to spread out the lines a lot more as this seems to have been the major issue. Saturday's temperatures were exacerbated simply by the mass of bodies in that smallish area and if there had been a fire or accident, they would have made either evacuating or getting medical attention to a specific point more difficult. Spread out the crowds by spreading out the guests and everyone benefits.

Having the stalls all on the ground floor helped too I think and speaking to the Galloway fudge people they seemed happy too, even bought two stalls this year to maximise their availability - It gives a good area to wander when in between shoots away from the hubbub of the auto queues and all that.

All in all a cracking weekend and a credit overall to SM. New displays and activities were fun and entertaining, I'm sure Pokemon go helped with the young kids too. So only a few minor issues I feel to perfect for next year and we're onto a winner.

Gold pass entry needs to be remembered and the vouchers issues cemented - but those issues I've talked about in the GP thread & of course the only thing that could of made it any better was if you had announced that Chevron was coming back next year!! :whistling:

This has by far been my favourite showmasters event, after going to lfcc last year which i did really enjoy it was very stressful thinking i was going to miss autos and photos.

This year the layout and space was brilliant, everything easy to find, getting from one photoshoot to the next was made so easy and less stressful being close to one another. Having all the guests together made it easier grabbing all the vq's in one go as guests were easier to find. Loved having all the GOT guests together so literally just went down the row getting autos.

Staff were so helpful and friendly especially those manning the photo shoot areas, so well organised, kept everything light hearted and funny, which kept everyone calm while queing. Batches were called in order which made everything run smoother. Special thanks to the guy who ran photo area B (beard and glasses) on friday he made sure i didn't miss my kae photo while i ran to get michael done. He was a credit to showmasters, also the guy in A always so organised, and the guy in C so friendly and helpful. Sorry didn't use area D.

Stalls had a good collection and it was lovely to have the space to walk around them and look. Last year didn't bother as didn't have time and was too crowded.

Loved that i got all 20 of my autos personalised, even Jeremy, as i wouldn't buy them otherwise. I don't like having the same auto as everyone else and was slightly annoyed when i went for my jeremys auto first thing sunday with my dp pass for there to be a sign on the wall when i got in. When he turned up though he started personalising so i was very happy, as long as you have your name on a piece of paper i think its ok.

My only niggles of the weekend was on jack gleeson autos sat on the sign it said diamonds, golds then vqs, which i didnt think golds were given priority on diamond guests. I had a vq of 182 and managed to get his auto at 5pm with a bit of stress. Only other thing was i got in the dominic auto queue, i bought 2 autographs one from lotr and one from lost, there was no sign up saying no photos so i asked for a photo, the steward said quite sharply i can't unless i pay for a professional one. It made the meeting with dom awkward, i had looked forward to meeting him for years and this ruined it. I had already bought a professional photo which i had already had done but i like a photo to go with each of my autos therefore asking for a table one. If there had been a sign up i would definitly not have asked. The steward made it sound like i was being a skin flint by not buying a professional one, she could of just said sorry due to time we can't i would have been happy with that. I'd already spent £90 on dom so it was not about the money. I left the signing area feeling really embarrased to the point i was quite upset having my meeting with dom ruined. If a sign had been up this could have been avoided.

Overall i really enjoyed my weekend, apart from those two little things it was near perfect, really hope theres a winter/spring con as can't wait to do it all again :-)

This has been my second year going to London Film and Comic Con. Last year I went on a Saturday with a few of my friends and had a bad experience With overcrowding, lack of space and bad experience at the photo sessions, so this year no one wanted to come, so went on my own on Sunday and had a better experience than the previous year.

This year getting in was a lot quicker than the previous year. Last year I had to queue round the building to get in which lasted nearly 30 minute, this year got there at 9:10 and it only took 5 minutes to have my bags checked and ticket scanned and I was in.

The next improvement was the better layout. Having it in both ground halls this year for the stalls and having them more space between them, made it easier to move around. Also having all the guests together on one floor made it easier to meet them, rather than the previous year where they were on different floors.

This year I got autographs from Michael Emerson and Paul McGann, who were both friendly and we're happy to have a photo with them. Also I had a photo session with Jeremy Renner. This was the best photo I have had with a guest at one of these conventions. Although it was brief, he said "Hey man, how are you" as I approached him and I replied "Hello, pleasure to meet you". He put his arm round me, which I did the same. After this experience I have to say Jeremy Renner has to be the best guest Showmasters has got.

I will definitely be back next year, hopefully with more of my friends so I can share my experiences with them too.

This year was a lot better than last year and obviously 100% better than the year before that!

I would like to mirror the positive comments about the showmasters staff who were all great with me and others around me. (Apart from one blue shirt guy who I guess was escorting a guest and shouting very loudly for everyone to clear the way, when there wasn't actually anyone in his way... ) I'd also like to say how good the security around the building, on the doors, etc, were. It's quite rare to find security who are so friendly, helpful and chatty. Good work. :D

The only down sides for me were again the busy signing areas, surely some roped off S shaped queue lines with a route down the middle for people to get past and cap the queue's at the end of the S, I'm sure that would only take up the same room as the 4-5 abreast lines with loads of people walking through and sometimes 2 lines to the same place. And the posts with the attached extendable cords can easily be rearranged depending on how busy the person is (so people don't have to walk miles if it's an open queue, etc, or they can be moved quickly in case of emergency).

The only other oddity I found was the lifts down either side of the cafe/suicide squad area, which go down to reception/exit, but there didn't seem to be a way around to the lower floor (trader area). There were comfy seats down there which were a godsend, but while sitting there for a while we noticed quite a few confused people with wheelchairs trying to find a way, some of whom then went back up the elevator, some didn't return so I guess there must have been some way around. Maybe some better signs down there for next time.

All in all, well done. A vast improvement, keep up the good work.

Thank you Showmasters i enjoyed weekend so much loved meeting Dolph Lundgren, Jeremy Renner, Bonnie Langford, Michelle Gomez, Carl Weathers, Paul McGann and Frazer Hines. well done to cosplayers fantastic. Hopefully to come next year

It was nice and cool for the most of it; some places did get warm like the signing area on both days but it was only a problem on Saturday as I was in all black and a long leather coat as The Punisher!

Air con - it was on and working!

Space - I was worried it would be really cramped. It only got that way in the signing area.

Queuing - never been so early to an event like this but it all went really well and I was in quickly.

Stalls - I thought there was not a bad mixture and mostly ended up with jewellery!

Photos - had a great experience with all of my photo shoots. I had a retake of my one with Jeremy Renner as it printed off with lines on it, the guests were great and I loved my cosplay photos from the photo shoot. I ended up buying 4 prints as they were so good and it's not always easy to find photos other visitors take of you on the day unless you know them or they have a card.

And for the love of god, please stop hiring the bleach blond Scottish guy to MC the panels. I've never seen another MC who likes the sound of his own voice nearly as much as this guy (David I think?) does...

Oh I soooo agree. Only managed 2 talks this time but the Rutger Hauer talk was appallingly hosted by this man. My friends at other talks he hosted said the same

I want to second what everyone said about it being better this year. The extra space really made a difference, you could easily move around and the air condition had a chance to work, so it wasn't hot like it was the previous years. I could actually wear a cardigan in some places! The change in how we queued to get in was also a great idea; checking everyone's tickets before they joined the queue, so when it was time for the doors to open everyone could just rush in. It was a really successful and enjoyable weekend for me!

My improvement suggestions for next year:

• better sound in the main stage area. At the GoT talk me and my friend were at the back and we had difficulty hearing
  • better seats in the main stage area
  • maybe put the air conditioning at a slightly higher temperature in the main stage area? After attending 2 talks back-to-back I was freezing, even with my cardigan on
  • Like 2

2. I went to meet a few authors from YALK. I was really excited to get to meet a couple of the

authors and had pre spoken to them on facebook before hand only to get there to find the authors
were only there on 1 day. I had seen nothing on the forum about who'd be there what day and
had brought my books to be signed and was really let down to find the authors NOT there.

The Yalc schedule is posted online and around the YALC area, all the authors only tend to sign for 2 hours on one day (the odd one will do two days!) Unlike actors etc... they are signing for free so they cant be expected to sit around all day, but if you ever want to meet anyone there again just ask them for a programme as the yalc team are lovely

Edited by Talie
  • Like 1

Have to say, the best LFCC I have ever been to - loads of space, loads of air, no problems getting in, I get panic attacks in crowds so for me to actually be able to mooch around the stalls and buy stuff was amazing. Bag search people all very nice, guests brilliant.

My only constructive comments -

• Getting all the big guests together in the autograph hall is probably easier for security reasons, but it makes that area hell on earth with crowding.
  • Photoshoots - I know people shouldn't, but everyone will crowd around making it a nightmare to hear what batch has been called without barging through....some sort of display? Megaphone?
  • The blond Scottish gentleman hosting the Rutger Hauer talk was dreadful - only 2 questions were allowed from the floor because of his incessant wittering, and as for asking Rutger to quote 'that line' at the end....well a good host would have checked that was ok before the talk started!
  • Gold pass room was a tad small for the number of gold passes sold.....and as someone else has said earlier, some squash would be brilliant. Those conical paper cups might be cheaper but was pretty impractical with queues for the one water dispenser!
  • Sound quality in the talks wasn't great

However, a much better experience and I am looking forward to next year :-)

I want to second what everyone said about it being better this year. The extra space really made a difference, you could easily move around and the air condition had a chance to work, so it wasn't hot like it was the previous years. I could actually wear a cardigan in some places! The change in how we queued to get in was also a great idea; checking everyone's tickets before they joined the queue, so when it was time for the doors to open everyone could just rush in. It was a really successful and enjoyable weekend for me!

My improvement suggestions for next year:

• better sound in the main stage area. At the GoT talk me and my friend were at the back and we had difficulty hearing
  • better seats in the main stage area
  • maybe put the air conditioning at a slightly higher temperature in the main stage area? After attending 2 talks back-to-back I was freezing, even with my cardigan on

I did 3 talks in a row on Sunday and was freezing by the end of it!