LFCC 2016 Feedback Thread

After reading the comments, I thought I'd put in a suggestion or two:

Perhaps crew members/security could use megaphones for the morning queues, as well as the busy photoshoot areas.

Might not be possible due to space/layout/access, but perhaps designate the second or third floor for the paid for talks (and the other for the YALC). Otherwise, put a third wall at the back of the talk area, and assign crew to stand guard and ask any loiterers not waiting for a photoshoot to keep moving when paid talks are taking place.

Notices to remind guests of a 5-item limit (which I remember seeing at past Collectormanias). I was behind someone who got about a dozen autographs form Ian McDiarmid.

Also, the right signs put up concerning photos. Met one guest who had a No Posed Photos sign, when it was actually No Photos.

I'm sure crew members get briefed and trained before the event, but since there were some who didn't know anything, or not went along with the Gold Pass privileges. Makes me question the motives of some of the crew who volunteer...

Also, it's down to the fans to co-operate.

For instance:

Had a few runners who got told off.

Some trying to squeeze past others to get VQ tickets that one crew member shouted that he "only [had] one pair of hands" and asking for a more orderly queue.

One crew member asking those not having photoshoots with the door to "go away".

In the end, this year was much better organised than last year, and I hope this will be the case next year, along with some minor improvements.

After reading the comments, I thought I'd put in a suggestion or two:

Perhaps crew members/security could use megaphones for the morning queues, as well as the busy photoshoot areas.

Might not be possible due to space/layout/access, but perhaps designate the second or third floor for the paid for talks (and the other for the YALC). Otherwise, put a third wall at the back of the talk area, and assign crew to stand guard and ask any loiterers not waiting for a photoshoot to keep moving when paid talks are taking place.

Notices to remind guests of a 5-item limit (which I remember seeing at past Collectormanias). I was behind someone who got about a dozen autographs form Ian McDiarmid.

Also, the right signs put up concerning photos. Met one guest who had a No Posed Photos sign, when it was actually No Photos.

I'm sure crew members get briefed and trained before the event, but since there were some who didn't know anything, or not went along with the Gold Pass privileges. Makes me question the motives of some of the crew who volunteer...

Also, it's down to the fans to co-operate.

For instance:

Some trying to squeeze past others to get VQ tickets that one crew member shouted that he "only [had] one pair of hands" and asking for a more orderly queue.

One crew member asking those not having photoshoots with the door to "go away".

In the end, this year was much better organised than last year, and I hope this will be the case next year, along with some minor improvements.

Perhaps crew members/security could use megaphones for the morning queues, as well as the busy photoshoot areas. Would be an issue with the current layout as Area A is too close to the stage to use a mega phone

Notices to remind guests of a 5-item limit (which I remember seeing at past Collectormanias). I was behind someone who got about a dozen autographs form Ian McDiarmid. That would be more for the crew to deal with, they should be checking the limit for the busy guests IMO

I'm sure crew members get briefed and trained before the event, but since there were some who didn't know anything, or not went along with the Gold Pass privileges. I wonder if a hole punched laminate could be done for the crew to keep on them during the day (attached to belts/bumbags) with the rules and levels of priority access clearly printed out that they can refer to if they are unsure. It would also help when the attendees are saying one thing that the crew says is wrong because we could say to them 'it's on your rules sheet, check it'

One crew member asking those not having photoshoots with the door to "go away". Unfortunately these will never happen due to the amount of people being excited/curious and the ones who are sheer selfish

Edited by Raylenth

It's possible the people get a dozen autographs are Showmasters pre order services.

I saw the same guy getting a lot of autographs from different guests and wondered if he was the pre order guy!

These are usually left until the guest isn't busy. I've seen SM staff bring over a pile of photos to be signed by a guest, but they've not done them while people are waiting in the queue.

Any chance Showmasters would consider a kids weekend ticket?

When crew members were scanning people for their weekend tickets (I had a weekend ticket), I was told they would come back and scan my nephews ticket for the Friday, but they couldn't do the ones for Sat and Sun. When they came back up, they said they weren't going to do the daily ones.

Talked to a pit boss (Dan I think) and he said go to the sales desk and they would sort a wristband out for him for the weekend, he'd talked to them, so they knew we would be coming. Fair enough, I thought, saves hassle Sat and Sun. Get to the desk, only to be told they knew nothing about it (surprise surprise) then had to wait 15 mins until they could get someone to sort it.

A weekend ticket for kids would eliminate hassle for all concerned (and remove the need to pay for three individual tickets and £1 fee for each ticket!!!!!)

My highlight every year is my 3 weeks vacation in the USA. But for the first time I found something which is actually even better. It was really the best time ever! THANK YOU! And I really hope the next LFCC is in July again, because I already booked USA for june. so JULY JULY JULY, please!

Edited by Nadine84
  • Like 1

It's possible the people get a dozen autographs are Showmasters pre order services.

I saw the same guy getting a lot of autographs from different guests and wondered if he was the pre order guy!

These are usually left until the guest isn't busy. I've seen SM staff bring over a pile of photos to be signed by a guest, but they've not done them while people are waiting in the queue.

In that case I saw traders lol

My only big complain was sales desk. There were two people there and i spent around 20 minutes in the queue as at one point there was only one person selling tix. Then there was one person in front of me and was he buying anything? No! He came there to chat to the person who was selling tix. How was her day who he'd like to meet what he had for lunch and stuff like that. 10 minutes. When i asked if he is buying anything the lady said he is and she continued chatting. Thank God the other person came back.

Last year it was packed but the sales desk was running more smoothly not like this year.

• The blond Scottish gentleman hosting the Rutger Hauer talk was dreadful - only 2 questions were allowed from the floor because of his incessant wittering, and as for asking Rutger to quote 'that line' at the end....well a good host would have checked that was ok before the talk started.

I have to agree with this. The end of the talk was embarrassing to watch. I'm always relieved when I attend a talk and see it's hosted by someone else and the other gentleman who was hosting was very good.

So what happened at Rutger's talk? I'm hearing not good things...

• The blond Scottish gentleman hosting the Rutger Hauer talk was dreadful - only 2 questions were allowed from the floor because of his incessant wittering, and as for asking Rutger to quote 'that line' at the end....well a good host would have checked that was ok before the talk started.
I have to agree with this. The end of the talk was embarrassing to watch. I'm always relieved when I attend a talk and see it's hosted by someone else and the other gentleman who was hosting was very good.

So what happened at Rutger's talk? I'm hearing not good things...

The moderator chap asked Rutger to recite the "I've seen things..." line. Rutger was clearly uncomfortable and probably felt that the occasion was such that to indulge him would be like taking the pi55 out of it. Rutger really squirmed and the audience no doubt feeling this, as I did, shouted out "don't do it" etc. The moderator guy just didn't take the hint though and persevered - Rutger told him to watch the movie again or words to that effect, moderator looking increasingly embarrassed and ended the talk there or thereabouts shortly after.

I'm probably making it sound like Rutger was out of line but that wasn't the case at all and the audience were clearly on Rutgers side. The presenter guy just didn't know when to quit in my opinion...

I've never forgotten despite the 5-item limit when David Tennant did his first signing they had the £45 times table on his desk up to about 20. At the end of the day when they can make £100 a minute on bigger guests the limit is quickly ignored.

I've never forgotten despite the 5-item limit when David Tennant did his first signing they had the £45 times table on his desk up to about 20. At the end of the day when they can make £100 a minute on bigger guests the limit is quickly ignored.

And probably at the expense of others missing out.

I went to one event where a friend and I queued for 2 hours for one guest because one group wanted 25 autographs, and another wanted 40! And that guest was also posing for photos.

There is a 5 item limit at this show too.

While waiting to met Judge Reinhold saw what I assume was a dealer who had three folders of 10(30 in total) official black & white Beverley Hills Cop photo's signed before moving onto John Aston.

The Limit is only in place if the VQ system is operating.

Judge was VQ Saturday and Sunday.

I saw someone get at least 7 from Tobin Bell and someone else get 6 from Michael Emerson. The auto areas were being mostly run by crew without a clue.

Have to agree on this. All the crew I recognised were on photos and it seemed to be new crew running the auto area very few of whom understood the rules. Now I totally get that the sector is moving very much towards photos so you do need the key crew on the big shoots but if you're going to sell diamond passes with autos included you need to ensure that the crew running those queues understand what they're meant to be doing.

I understand putting key crew on photo's is important as it's quite a big deal to form those queues etc with so many people. It needs to run as smoothly as possible. But if the crew doing the auto area are mostly newbies, they should really check if they're unsure of something. Some were obviously just guessing what should be happening.

Maybe the way forward is to have a list for each guest. Add which pass gets you what and if VQT's are needed for any passes. Then laminate and give to each crew running the VQ's. If they have a query they can look at the list and know they're getting it right :)

A full proof way for crew and attendees to know there can be no complaints.

And just to add, I have seen people take advantage of crew not 100% sure of procedures.

Edited by Murph
  • Like 1

I went only on Sunday this year and I had a great time! :dance:

I really appreciated the use of West Hall in the morning - no queuing in rain like 2 years ago or in the heat like last year. I arrived at about 7:35 and was expecting a big line of people, but that didn't happen and I actually walked past the West Hall entrance and had to walk back! Being able to buy tea or coffee and some snacks while waiting was great as well. I got in right after 9:00 (with a standard ticket) and got low VQ tickets, the highest one was for Rutger Hauer - number 96, Dominic Monaghan was 53 and Harold Perrineau was around 33.

Thank you for putting the photoshoot areas and the guests on the same floor and the stall on the other one, it made a HUGE difference from the last year! :thumbup: We could move easily and actually have a proper look at the stalls.

The air con was actually a bit too cold for me (I had my cardigan on the whole day), especially at the main stage area and mainly during the Lost talk. However, you can't please everyone and for me it's better to be cold than hot. :smile: This was also the first SM convention and my second event in general where there were NO queues to the toilets! It seems like an unimportatnt thing, but it saves you lot of time and makes everything more pleasant :smile:

I was on a tight budget this year and had to make some hard decisions, so I was very happy when the free Sean Maher talk was announced. I didn't meet him for an autograph nor photoshoot, but the talk was amazing, Sean is a very lovely person and I'm glad that I got the chance to see and hear him at least at the talk! :thumbup: I met only three guests - Dominic Monaghan, Rutger Hauer and Harold Perrineau - and they were all absolutely amazing. Meeting both Dominic and Rutger was a huge deal for me and I was quite nervous (more than usually), nevertheless, they both exceeded my expectations. :wub2::YAHOO: Harold was also lovely, very chatty and full of great energy, he even stood up and walked around the table to take a photo with me (thanks to the great crew member the photo is great!) :thumbup:

I had only one photoshoot this year and it was Dominic Monaghan. I love the photo and it all went very well especially because of the great guy (I believe his name is Stuart) managing the line, I remember him from other events and he always does a great job! Every member of the crew I encountered was amazing this year, nobody was nervous or clueless, everybody was helpful, smiling and chatting if there was time, so THANK YOU GUYS!!! :thumbup:

Loved the Lost talk so much as well and once again, the person hosting the talk (and the one with Sean Maher) was great. I also remember him from other events and he always manages to avoid the weird pauses and helps to create a great atmosphere, which I know is not as easy as it seems to be.

I don't think I have any bigger complaints and I hope you'll keep things how they were this year.

Anyway, thank you for another great event!

Now I don't normally add my 2p into these threads but I have a minor gripe from yesterday afternoon.

I was stood in the Rutger Hauer autograph queue and had been like everyone else for over an hour when Rutger had to go for another break. This part, I have no issue with at all. He is a 72-year-old gentleman that needs these breaks.

I think most people understood this, except one vocal gentleman near the back of the capped off queue that decided to start complaining to every volunteer who would listen. A red shirt pit boss then was left dealing with him. He was getting red faced so the pit boss got on her phone to try and help him out. Next thing I knew; he was at the front of the queue getting let in.

Now the way I saw it all unfold, it looked like he complained a lot and got to jump the queue. I hope this was not the case as it sends a bad message to other attendees. As I said, I ended up being in the queue for an hour and a half and this really wound me up.

Sorry for the rant. I’ll go back into hiding now.

We were near the front of the queue when Rutger went for that break and I remember them slotting in people just in front of us and I did wonder why but at that point I was too tired and sore to pay much attention and I was just so happy they let us wait in the queue while he was on break, rather than telling us to come back later.

Was that on Sunday? If so, I was one of the people who were put in front. The crew lady asked who had a VQ ticket lower than 100 (I had 96) and there were a few of us, so I guess that was why we could jump the queue. I was surprised myself, it was the first time this ever happened to me.

No one should ever be queue jumping. Even if you have a diamond pass or gold pass, it doesn't give you the chance to jump a queue that's already in place. Just illustrates more wrong doings by auto crew :(

I totally agree that conditions and organization was defiantly better than last year. It was cooler and spacious and the crazy queues were nowhere to be seen.

However disappointing at last minute guest cancellations and less big names than usual.

Would love to see more big event organizers like Syfy Chanel last year and please sort out Cosplay main stage next year.

Could not hear a word being said (unless you speak elvish!) and way too much talking and could not see some costumes from the back.

I look forward to maybe seeing an Amine/Manga stage next year and of course more free talks on stage as there was so much wasted waiting time between shows that it could have fit in easily.