Sat 30th - Good things & Bad things

So I got back a couple of hours ago from my one and only day at the convention this year. I just want to say first off that I enjoyed my day and all the guests I met and new people I met and befriended today. But unfortunately I think there are some things that Showmasters need to look at and improve on.

First off, good things:-

* The air-con inside was a big relief as the past few years the heat inside has been nearly unbearable, so thank you for keeping us all cool and sane.

* Secondly the layout of guests, autos and photos was so much easier this year, didn't feel like you were up and down between floors all the time in a mad rush.

* Also the areas where venders were was really well spaced out, lots of room for attendees to move around and really look at stalls.

Things that need some improvement:-

* After waiting all day for my photo op with Famke, it was disheartening to be told repeatedly that she is not a "touchy feely" person. I understand not all guests feel comfortable holding/hugging attendees but this point was being practically forced down your throat by EVERY staff member. The closer I got to the op and inside I had been told that many times, in some slightly threatening voices, how to act when I walk up to her, it kind of put me off even having the photo, scared in-case I do something wrong and thinking "well I'm so glad I paid all this money to just stand here like a lemon". I think in situations like this staff need to think about how they are wording things as I came away feeling slightly cheated of my photo op as it was so controlling. I had an auto with her earlier that day but still it would have been nice just to have been able to say hello to her again and smile at her without getting deathly glares from all the staff in the op.

* I went to the Jeremy Renner talk on the main stage this afternoon, after making sure I got there early enough to join the queue and get a good seat in the talk behind diamond pass holders. When we got let in I had a good enough seat on the second row of seats (behind the diamond section). The rows behind continued to fill with the next lot of attendees. As the start of the talk got closer one of the staff members shouted out that the diamond seats had not all filled and that if we wanted to fill them up starting at the from row of our section and working our way back. What a stupid way to announce this - it was chaos, I had people jumping over me, trampling on my possessions to get to the diamond seats first, and no staff members said a thing. So after turning up to the stage 45/50 minutes before the talk to make sure I get a good seat, people who had left it to the last minute got an even better seat, how is that fair. Why not tell staff that if this should happen, then just go row to row and lead them out to the diamond seats in line rather than just shouting it out to everyone. Suffice to say I stayed in my original seat as I knew I wouldn't get one as I wasn't willing to have a possible accident to get closer.

* When the talk began and Jeremy Renner came out I was so excited for the talk to start, but what is going on with your microphones and sounding Showmasters? It was appalling. People stood around the outside of the stage (listening in and watching for free by the way) were louder than the speakers! When the microphone was getting passed around for people to ask questions you had to try and guess what they asked as you couldn't hear it. Surely with all the money you get from these conventions you could get new microphones/sounding equipment or somebody who know how to engineer the speakers properly. Especially when attendees have paid to see this talk, how are these conditions fair? And to top it off, to look around and see other people just standing around watching the talk for free when you have paid is just an insult, why are members of staff not moving them along.

* Lastly, I was disappointed to find out that one of the authors I wanted on the YALC floor had been and gone when I went up there. I went to get my books signed by Kass Morgan just after lunch and was told she was only signing between 11am - 12:15, where was this posted? I never saw anywhere that authors where only signing at certain times. Why wasn't the schedule uploaded for attendees! I was so disappointed and ended up carrying my books around all day for nothing. To top it off she isn't attending tomorrow either, I would have purchased an entry ticket for tomorrow to see her and get my books signed. Why are you having authors attend who can only do one day for just over an hour, this is only going to cause disappointment to attendees.

I think some of these issues are pretty basic and to hope to have them resolved for future cons is not too much to ask for.

Thank you.

Edited by EmLouD
  • Like 1

So I got back a couple of hours ago from my one and only day at the convention this year. I just want to say first off that I enjoyed my day and all the guests I met and new people I met and befriended today. But unfortunately I think there are some things that Showmasters need to look at and improve on.

* The air-con inside was a big relief as the past few years the heat inside has been nearly unbearable, so thank you for keeping us all cool and sane.

* Secondly the layout of guests, autos and photos was so much easier this year, didn't feel like you were up and down between floors all the time in a mad rush.

* Also the areas where venders were was really well spaced out, lots of room for attendees to move around and really look at stalls.

* After waiting all day for my photo op with Famke, it was disheartening to be told repeatedly that she is not a "touchy feely" person. I understand not all guests feel comfortable holding/hugging attendees but this point was being practically forced down your throat by EVERY staff member. The closer I got to the op and inside I had been told that many times, in some slightly threatening voices, how to act when I walk up to her, it kind of put me off even having the photo, scared in-case I do something wrong and thinking "well I'm so glad I paid all this money to just stand here like a lemon". I think in situations like this staff need to think about how they are wording things as I came away feeling slightly cheated of my photo op as it was so controlling. I had an auto with her earlier that day but still it would have been nice just to have been able to say hello to her again and smile at her without getting deathly glares from all the staff in the op.

* I went to the Jeremy Renner talk on the main stage this afternoon, after making sure I got there early enough to join the queue and get a good seat in the talk behind diamond pass holders. When we got let in I had a good enough seat on the second row of seats (behind the diamond section). The rows behind continued to fill with the next lot of attendees. As the start of the talk got closer one of the staff members shouted out that the diamond seats had not all filled and that if we wanted to fill them up starting at the from row of our section and working our way back. What a stupid way to announce this - it was chaos, I had people jumping over me, trampling on my possessions to get to the diamond seats first, and no staff members said a thing. So after turning up to the stage 45/50 minutes before the talk to make sure I get a good seat, people who had left it to the last minute got an even better seat, how is that fair. Why not tell staff that if this should happen, then just go row to row and lead them out to the diamond seats in line rather than just shouting it out to everyone. Suffice to say I stayed in my original seat as I knew I wouldn't get one as I wasn't willing to have a possible accident to get closer.

* When the talk began and Jeremy Renner came out I was so excited for the talk to start, but what is going on with your microphones and sounding Showmasters? It was appalling. People stood around the outside of the stage (listening in and watching for free by the way) were louder than the speakers! When the microphone was getting passed around for people to ask questions you had to try and guess what they asked as you couldn't hear it. Surely with all the money you get from these conventions you could get new microphones/sounding equipment or somebody who know how to engineer the speakers properly. Especially when attendees have paid to see this talk, how are these conditions fair? And to top it off, to look around and see other people just standing around watching the talk for free when you have paid is just an insult, why are members of staff not moving them along.

* Lastly, I was disappointed to find out that one of the authors I wanted on the YALC floor had been and gone when I went up there. I went to get my books signed by Kass Morgan just after lunch and was told she was only signing between 11am - 12:15, where was this posted? I never saw anywhere that authors where only signing at certain times. Why wasn't the schedule uploaded for attendees! I was so disappointed and ended up carrying my books around all day for nothing. To top it off she isn't attending tomorrow either, I would have purchased an entry ticket for tomorrow to see her and get my books signed. Why are you having authors attend who can only do one day for just over an hour, this is only going to cause disappointment to attendees.

I think some of these issues are pretty basic and to hope to have them resolved for future cons is not too much to ask for.

Thank you.

its no help to you now but my friend spent more time getting the YALC guests than the regular guests and he has a list printed off from somewhere which has all the authors timings for the whole weekend.so the info is out there. Doesn't seem to have been very high profile available info if you missed it and others missed it so SM need to correct that in future.

• Like 1

if you went upto the YALC the schedule was posted all around there as well but I agree they could have done more to highlight as it is not just those with YALC tickets who are interested in YALC. Most of the authors are only attending one day each - not sure why this is maybe so they can have as many different ones as possible,

I agree with you on the sound in the talk area I was diamond pass for Jeremy and I couldn't always hear very well.

Not that this is any help to you now, but the YALC author schedule was posted on the YALC page on the website

http://londonfilmandcomiccon.com/index.php/yalc/yalc-schedule under the Download/Print the schedule here part.

Yes I had seen this already but it says nothing on it about the author Kass Morgan (who I wanted to see) and doesn't say specific signing from-to times. Edited by EmLouD

Thank you.

its no help to you now but my friend spent more time getting the YALC guests than the regular guests and he has a list printed off from somewhere which has all the authors timings for the whole weekend.so the info is out there. Doesn't seem to have been very high profile available info if you missed it and others missed it so SM need to correct that in future.
Like I say I had seen what they classed as the schedule but Kass Morgan was not mentioned on it. And there were no specific from-to signing times. I wish I could have gotten up to the YALC floor earlier but I was busy with getting VQ tickets for a lot of my autos and then joining queues for other guest autos. Plus I didn't go up there straight away as I think people who have paid for a specific YALC ticket should be able to enjoy the authors/guests first. Edited by EmLouD

if you went upto the YALC the schedule was posted all around there as well but I agree they could have done more to highlight as it is not just those with YALC tickets who are interested in YALC. Most of the authors are only attending one day each - not sure why this is maybe so they can have as many different ones as possible,

I agree with you on the sound in the talk area I was diamond pass for Jeremy and I couldn't always hear very well.

I would have gone up sooner but I was swamped with trying to get VQ tickets for my autos and the joining big queues for others. Also I know at first only specific YALC tickets holders are allowed up there first - which is right I understand this.

I didn't have a problem hearing the guests during the talks?

I couldn't hear a lot of the questions but I assumed this was because the attendees were speaking too quietly/had no experience using a mic!

Honestly I thought it that the technical side of the talks went well.

I agree that it's strange that there was no back wall to the talk area, but I'm not going to begrudge the people standing at the back to watch, I paid for a SEAT at the talk and that's exactly what I got! But yes, maybe this is something to be addressed next time.

Edited by Inga

Went to the Jeremy Renner talk to on the Sat while some of my issues have been already mentioned, can somebody tell me what was wrong with the large screen? . The colour was bad and out of focus some of the time not forgetting the video image didn't actually fit the screen itself.

We constantly moved people away from the back of the hall. The framing on the camera looked worse than it was because of the branding / sponsor logos. As for the sound - if people actually held mics to their mouths then we may have been okay 😉

• Like 1

We constantly moved people away from the back of the hall. The framing on the camera looked worse than it was because of the branding / sponsor logos. As for the sound - if people actually held mics to their mouths then we may have been okay

That might be an idea for next year/other events. Have the hall crew or the chap MCing tell people before the talk starts that if they are selected for a question they need to put the mic really close to their mouths otherwise no one will hear them. It's not our fault we've never used one before and don't know! :smile:

We constantly moved people away from the back of the hall. The framing on the camera looked worse than it was because of the branding / sponsor logos. As for the sound - if people actually held mics to their mouths then we may have been okay

Get the presenter mic fixed for the next show, but otherwise the sound for the talks was good this year. Although the trailers sounded like they were in an echo chamber! I'm guessing they were in surround sound and we only heard the left and right channels? (Not a massive issue, more an observation!)

As for the issue with the audience mics, at some conventions the audience member tells the question to the crew member, and they relay it to the guest, or sometimes the questions are submitted on paper slips beforehand, and the crew pick the most interesting or relevant ones. I know people might want to actually talk to the guest when asking the questions, but it's quite an inefficient way of doing it. It might be something to think about for next year? Also could be helpful for those who are too nervous to ask a question in front of a crowd.

That might be an idea for next year/other events. Have the hall crew or the chap MCing tell people before the talk starts that if they are selected for a question they need to put the mic really close to their mouths otherwise no one will hear them. It's not our fault we've never used one before and don't know! :smile:

The guy handling the sound system and/or the chap MCing tells people no flash photography or filming but that doesn't seem to be taken on board so not sure the point about asking questions would either :no:

I agree with the point you made about people standing at the back and watching Jeremy's talk for free... I was slightly annoyed by that, granted their view wouldn't have been great but still, with people paying to attend, the layout wasn't so great. It really would have been better to have more stands enclosing the area off. It would have made it easier for the stewards too with less ground to cover to ask people to move away.

Other than that, I can't complain about a thing.

I was annoyed that I wasn't allowed to take a picture of Dolph signing my rocky shorts.

I have photo evidence of Stallone,Tommy Morrison and Carl weathers and the most expensive signature I have no evidence for.

I wouldn't sell them it's for display,I really don't see the issue of your not disturbing the person or holding things up with the 2 seconds it takes.

• Like 1

I was annoyed that I wasn't allowed to take a picture of Dolph signing my rocky shorts.

I have photo evidence of Stallone,Tommy Morrison and Carl weathers and the most expensive signature I have no evidence for.

I wouldn't sell them it's for display,I really don't see the issue of your not disturbing the person or holding things up with the 2 seconds it takes.

They usually do say something, at least at the very beginning of the talk. Doesn't help if you're late and/or nervous though.

I'm sorry but this is rubbish, I have been to plenty of cons where people "don't have experience talking with a microphone" and you can hear them fine. And I think everyone was holding their microphone around the mouth area. Just seems like a bit of an excuse to me. The MC's microphone wasn't amazing and I'm sure he knows what he's doing. Also agree with the lighting issue.

I have just seen on the "Famke Janssen" thread that she has 3 broken ribs atm :( obv in retrospect I can understand why her photoshoots were that way but staff could have maybe given attendees a heads up. I feel really bad for a lot of people who had a photo with her.

They usually do say something, at least at the very beginning of the talk. Doesn't help if you're late and/or nervous though.

I'm sorry but this is rubbish, I have been to plenty of cons where people "don't have experience talking with a microphone" and you can hear them fine. And I think everyone was holding their microphone around the mouth area. Just seems like a bit of an excuse to me. The MC's microphone wasn't amazing and I'm sure he knows what he's doing. Also agree with the lighting issue.

Note the "may have been okay" please. I think it's pretty much accepted that there's multiple factors coming into play there. Setting sound up in a venue as huge as this is different to setting up the sounds at hotel conventions though.

I have just seen on the "Famke Janssen" thread that she has 3 broken ribs atm :( obv in retrospect I can understand why her photoshoots were that way but staff could have maybe given attendees a heads up. I feel really bad for a lot of people who had a photo with her.

The assumption there is that the staff were told this. We were informed there was a strict no touching rule in place and that was the message we passed on as politely as possible.

There was disappointment from staff and attendees alike on this front, however, Famke clearly didn't want to disappoint, so she agreed a solution that meant people still got a photo with her. Now we know the why, it doesn't really change anything except, hopefully, providing a rationale for, what seemed at the time, a strong, but not uncommon, restriction.

• Like 2

Note the "may have been okay" please. I think it's pretty much accepted that there's multiple factors coming into play there. Setting sound up in a venue as huge as this is different to setting up the sounds at hotel conventions though.

Yes I can respect that, like I said, I didn't ruin my day or anything but I just wanted it to be taken into consideration for future events.