Steven Berkoff

After reading through all these comments I cant say I'm surprised by what I've read, first time I met Steven was in 2010 and I kindly asked him to sign my Autograph book he did so with a "'ere you are!"

Then back in May it was possible he was going to be at a local film gala - I didn't have Beverly Hills Cop on me as he wasn't on the list of attendees to attend - turns out he had turned up, I asked if I could have a picture with him, the response "Nah, I've got a toothache!" I thought this was a bit strange as- well I just thought it a tad strange.

At one point he sat down and had a sneaky cigarette outside $tarbuck$, felt quite interesting, "VICTOR MAITLAND OUTSIDE A COFFEE SHOP IN SAAAAAAAFEND!"

With the gala there was of course a Red Carpet and so everyone was supposed to be walking up that, obviously so they could be briefly interviewed, get a pic or two taken for the local newspaper etc etc etc etc etc etc etc, Mr. Berkoff, chose to forgo the whole razamataz and made a massive detour from the red carpet and clearly didn't want any part of this.

I saw all this with thine own eyes and was at that point I chose to not say anything on here in case he was having a bad day and didn't wanna ruin it for others, this also made me think "Do I really wanna go for him at LFCC now?"

Think I made the right decision in not going

I've seen the Pictures posted here, I totally understand where you are coming from. I probably shouldn't be saying this as a mod, but Judge Reinhold does have a Point with his personalisation.

And personally my first thought on seeing that personalisation was 'if the other guests are saying it as well!............' it says it all.

I can't really say anything as I got a nice little anecdote out of it and Judge thought 'grumpy grandpas'face was hysterical

• Like 2

At the group shoot I decided to jump in and say "we can make this movie work without Eddie". It got a laugh from Berkhoff which worked as they took his pic while he smiled.

I seen him rip into a few people so I just was all business at auto table.

I hung around for his single shoot and was at the front. He didn't seem well at all and I didn't think he would go through with it.

He did however say hello when I said hi and when I said "it's nice to meet you he responded with "my pleasure".

He was indeed grumpy and maybe shouldn't be signing or doing pics anymore.

On the bright side Judge was an absolute gent. He said he hates photos being taken of him but was brilliant in the photo shoots. John Ashton could hardly see and has to have surgery done on his eyes after taking I'll Fri but he STILL turned up Sat and signed, gave free photos and was brilliant with everyone.

And I detest my association with him !

Any news on refunds for the photoshoot?

So what actually occurred?

I mean unless it was an emergency (i.e. he or a family member was ill) he should be held accountable for his refusal and dare say 'breach of contract'.

Edited by rogue_entity
  • Like 1

And I detest my association with him !

Any news on refunds for the photoshoot?

If anyone is actually in the office already they are swamped with messages. Something major like this needs to be discussed first. If anything surfaces before the end of the week I'd be majorly surprised.

I hardly ever post on here, mainly because the admin seem to not appreciate any viewpoint which has a negative edge to it.

I've been attending conventions for 10 years and spend £1000s on meeting the guests. I can not think of another industry or service where you would pay a minimum of £15 for 30-60 seconds of someone's time, yet in most cases feel deflated.

Yes it's my own fault that I spend my money on autographs but in my opinion these conventions have become far too big and the money changing hands is getting ridiculous. I paid £75 for 3 autographs from a guest this year... Basically 60 seconds of his time, only to be looked at like I was asking far too much when I politly asked him if he could write his characters name under the signature... At about £1 per second I didnt think this was too much to be honest!

With people like Mr Berkoff I expect nothing less, and to be honest, these days it's happening a lot more. Despite paying money for a service, we get made to feel like we should be privileged to meet them!

If people accept bad service then this will continue and I am as guilty as most.... The line "he was so nice....." - well he/she should be at the prices they charge! If someone paid me £100 to have a photo with them i would through in a little dance and smile as much as they wanted!

I spent about £250 on autographs from Ralph Machio a few years ago... He was very humble and when I asked for a selfie he said "I'm not supposed to but sure"... Showmaster staff said "your not supposed to" to which he replied .. "Hey the guys just spent £250!!!!!" - this is how it should be!

Gone are the days when most would let you take selfies at the table and that nearly all the guests were £15.... Business is business.

• Like 5

Hear hear! I couldn't agree more. Despite a comment in another post about conventions being like a 'zoo', I disagree. It's a two way thing. Yes, we are paying for their signature, but when all's said and done they should be there because they want to be there. Not because it's easy money and they can afford that fitted kitchen they've been eyeing for several months. No-one PAYING to attend the convention should be made to feel like they're second rate. Steven Berkhoff, I fortunately managed to get for free elsewhere. But I can also sympathise with those who say he's a miserable individual. The no photo's I can just about understand, but when getting a paid for signature there is no way that the guest should be so miserable or not interact with the individual. I would go as far to say that with these sorts of people that act like they don't really want to be at the convention - don't ask them back. Neither should they be doing any other convention whereby they would ruin the experience of the attendees.

• Like 1

For some reason I'm reading all this and somewhat liking him all the more for it.

He doesn't seem like the weird "what the hell is going on with them" character like Famke, where people are trying to piece together the jigsaw-like mystery puzzle to explain her demeanour (broken ribs bla bla bla). But rather he seems your typical curmudgeonly, cantankerous old sod, almost like you should treat it as a challenge to go to his autograph table to try and coax a laugh or smile out of him.

I could be completely wrong but he does seem the terribly serious type and I reckon talk of his theatre work etc. would have gotten a bit more out of him. Naturally the attendees of LFCC are going to be the type who mostly want to see him for his more 'low-brow' mainstream film work, but being an intelligent guy he will have known that going in. Makes you wonder why some guests agree to do these shows...

• Like 2

For some reason I'm reading all this and somewhat liking him all the more for it.

He doesn't seem like the weird "what the hell is going on with them" character like Famke, where people are trying to piece together the jigsaw-like mystery puzzle to explain her demeanour (broken ribs bla bla bla). But rather he seems your typical curmudgeonly, cantankerous old sod, almost like you should treat it as a challenge to go to his autograph table to try and coax a laugh or smile out of him.

I could be completely wrong but he does seem the terribly serious type and I reckon talk of his theatre work etc. would have gotten a bit more out of him. Naturally the attendees of LFCC are going to be the type who mostly want to see him for his more 'low-brow' mainstream film work, but being an intelligent guy he will have known that going in. Makes you wonder why some guests agree to do these shows...

Theatre goers cut no ice with this guy either - my friend told me he met him at the Stage door and was treated as contemptuously as those who went to LFCC...

I think you said it right -"a cantankerous old sod"...

• Like 1