Steven Berkoff

Ok let's hear about your experiences with this chap! I'm sure there will be some interesting stories!

For my part, he was completely disinterested, grunted an acknowledgment to my hello, and the signing interaction was over.

As for the photoshoot! Well it nearly didn't happen and I understand that he had to be talked into it but only agreed on the strict proviso that no one touched him, even inadvertently and so the seats were positioned about a foot apart! Absolute joke and I might as well have not had a photo with him as it looks ridiculous with me sat on the left, Steven Berkoff on the right and a gaping big gap in the middle!!!!! I kid you not!

I've read bad comments about Famke, which I did not find to be the case, but Steven Berkoff is probably the worst guest experience I've ever had.

I'm sure I'm not alone in finding this...

You are not alone. I originally wasn't going to get his autograph but when I saw him I changed my mind. I asked how he was and such but got no reply. Just a quick signature and that's it. I understand people have off days, but some kind of acknowledgment would've been nice.

• Like 1

To be fair, with the rigours of a con day and the age of the guest, him feeling ill and making a request to make a photo shoot easier is not unreasonable.

The fact that he still saw the shoot through was a credit to him, and for my part he said thank you when I said it was a pleasure to meet him and you're welcome when I thanked him.

Everyone has different experiences but mine wasn't bad.

• Like 1

I was warned he'd probably be a bit miserable from someone who got him at the last signing, but I was only after an undedicated autograph - not a meet and great - so that suited me. But he did interact with the person before me, as he was very careful to spell his name right on his dedicated photo.

Edited by TerraHawk

Have to echo the sentiments regarding the photoshoot - overall a poor experience. In mine, and several others I saw, he wasn't looking at the camera. One person's I saw he almost appeared to be looking in a totally different direction altogether.

Totally disappointing, and a waste of time & money for a photograph with someone who isn't looking at the camera. Might just as well get someone to snap a quick pic when he walks past you on his way to the bathroom or something, and stand in the vague vicinity of the shot. For all intents and purposes would be the same result.

• Like 1

If he is one of those people who hate having their photograph taken then I agree that there should not have been a photoshoot. It seems to me that this was a case of his management wanting their extra money in spite of his reluctance/displeasure at having a photograph taken. They would have known in advance that he may not like the publicity of a photograph and should not put him in the position of being forced to have a photograph.

Now I am in no way excusing his behaviour but you'd be surprised how many actors and actresses I've met who really hate having a photograph taken because it leaves them feeling exposed or vulnerable. I've spoken to several stars who are happy enough playing a role on stage or screen and yet when it comes to a quick selfie or a posed shot would rather not do it.

I did see Steven Berkoff at Autographica a few years ago and he didn't seem to want to be there. He had separated himself from other guests and was signing in one of the dealer rooms if I remember correctly. He looked disinterested and was just scribbling a quick signature whenever anyone visited his table, so it does seem like this is his natural default mood when it comes to these events.

I was disappointed too. After hanging around for a long while after our previous shoot - the shoot starts late and also when I thanked Steven i got an inaudible grunt amnd expression like yeah whatever move along. I didnt mind him being in a chair to be honest or even sitting in one myself as I understand people do become tired or ill but as mentioned no need for rudeness but over whole.weekend its a tiny blimp as rest made up for steven and famke.

Just off the back of these experiences I've been doing some research- the comments he's garnered on the IMDB message boards over the years should have been a warning!

Thanks for the heads up about the message boards- I didn't know they even existed.

I genuinely though he'd taken some medication before the Beverly Hills Cop group photo to get him through the day.

His eyes never moved from looking forward at the camera when we stepped into the middle of the shot.

He looked miles away in cloud cuckoo land to me and didn't acknowledge my hello.

I just thought fair enough, out of the 98% that are great to meet you will always get that 2% sometimes I guess.

• Like 1

I too was a tad dissapointed. I said hello and he grunted. I asked him to sign his name and his character "Victor Maitland" and asked for a tiny quote and I noted as I asked his hand was trembling and he said he couldn't. I asked if it was too difficult and he said yes. To which I replied not a problem, lovely meeting you and shook his hand which was an extremely weak one at that.

The experience was so bad,I did think how rude and wish I hadn't booked the photoshoot which was running over schedule. Whilst waiting my partner told me that Steven was sitting down by the balcony, so I toddled over to say hello. He told me that he wasn't feeling well and needed a break. To be fair he didn't look well at all. I asked about his novel as I too had written a similiar one just a few months before his and wanted to ask about his experience as regards the writing process. He really wasn't in the mood to self promote or even talk. He apologised to me and said please don't take any offense,it's nothing personal. I wished him well and left him.

Then we did the shoot and agreed their was a huge void between us, and although there in body, he was not there in spirit. I guess he felt an obligation not to let his fans down and grind through what must have been a gruelling day. Still glad I had the oppurtunity to meet him, despite it not being as I had envisaged.

• Like 1

I wasn't at the con on Saturday but I met him at EMS in 2012. He was pretty much the same back then, although there was no 'no toching' rule at the photo shoot. It didn't seem to be his thing and to be honest from what I had heard about him I was surprised he even did conventions. I was still happy to have met him for Rambo (and Octopussy & Beverly Hills Cop) and that I was able to get his autograph. If a guest is 'only' £15 the aftertaste for me is not as bitter I guess as for some people who paid £170 for a diamond pass for another guest at this event. i have never regretted meeting him as he was exactly as I expected him to be.