First time taking a weapon prop

Hey everyone,

This year I plan to take a weapon prop with me as part of my cosplay.

I have read the Cosplay Guidelines, but I'm still unsure if I'll be able to take it in with me or not.

My weapon prop is an M4A1 assault rifle as I'm cosplaying as a Division Agent. It's constructed from ABS plastic parts that I found online for cheap. When fully constructed it is an empty plastic shell, nothing more.

I believe they were parts for the outer shell of an airsoft gun as the main body is painted orange, but because it's just a hollow shell with nothing inside I think it should be ok to bring with me. The magazine that slots inside is also hollow.

I'm just looking for a second opinion and maybe some info from other people that have taken weapon props before.

It doesn't matter if it's hollow in this case - if it looks like an assault rifle you may well be refused entry with it.

Are you coming by car and could quickly put it in your trunk?

This is the prop in question:

33lctap.jpg

However, I did see some guys cosplaying as umbrella soldiers last year and their guns were full black. Mine is 50% orange and abides by realistic imitation firearms regulations 2007

And yes, I travel by car.

Edited by Spartan_D1994

It looks plastic enough to me, but this is not my decision to make. The venue security have a say too. If they say no it is a no, even if you have seen similar weapons at events before.

If you have a Chance to quickly store it somewhere on the day if needed I don't see any harm in bringing it.

It looks plastic enough to me, but this is not my decision to make. The venue security have a say too. If they say no it is a no, even if you have seen similar weapons at events before.

If you have a Chance to quickly store it somewhere on the day if needed I don't see any harm in bringing it.

Ok, thanks.

Then I'd say no but people with more experience with costume rules will be able to better advise, however the rules linked above read quite clear to me "All other Props and Weapons should be constructed from lightweight materials and have no sharp edges, spikes or points. Do not use Metal, solid wood, solid plastic, plaster etc. Good construction materials are Cardboard, Foamboard, Foam, Polystyrene, Balsa wood and hollow Plastic."

I have a bat i use for my Harley Quinn cosplay, would it be alright to bring?.

It might not be much help, but if you have a wilkos nearby they sell a kids baseball set for a few pounds which has a brilliant little foam bat for cosplay. My girlfriend used it for hers. It's small, lightweight and easy to draw on. Shouldn't be hard to find in store